This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 15422

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, what's on my bench? well a new bench top, it only took 20 years. The bench is mainly used for violin family and orchestral stringed instruments repairs.

The old one was too big and collected more of the stuff that I did not use often, than it did stuff I did use.

So using reclaimed packing case timber I did what yo see here. I raised the top a bit so as to be able to put some hand tools and reference data close to hand but out of sight in three drawers. Also a better layout for my hand tools at the back, and the tools hanging on the side. Its so nice to work on I'm going to do the same to my other benches.

Cheers Taff

Nice.

Stewmac is selling these now.It's a good idea.

Hi Paul, yes I saw that  already I use a couple of things similar. But why would you buy it when one can make it.

Anyway......Remember  I was talking about wasps getting into any little holes in parts, in my bike shed. Well I went into my paint spray shed [like I said I'm spoilt] and found that they had ruined most of my spray guns with mud.

They had been hanging in a line on hooks for about ten years along the back of the bench, and never a problem.

Well I put an end to their game. They were still trying to gain access while I was doing the modifications...............Photos tell the story.

Taff

Wow, little buggers. I bet that was fun cleaning out all those spray guns.

Back when I was 20 years old, I went to work at a furniture factory. They moved me around to different parts of the factory, so I got some experience in all the departments. Anyway, they put me in the spray booth to finish the "Rustic Look" furniture and told me to Stain, Seal and Lacquer all the units there. I asked to see the spray guns and was shown a gun that was all clogged and gummed up. Foreman told me a new gun was on the way. They had been using a gun without cleaning it with thinner and throwing it away when it stopped working, then buy another. They didn't even have sandpaper, it cost too much and took up to much time they said.

I looked at all the finished pieces, like your thinking, they all looked terrible. The boss wouldn't pay for the paper and thinner because it was cheaper for him to buy a new cheap spray gun every week, if it clogged before then you did other thing til a new gun arrived.

I couldn't work like that, so I quit and went to work somewhere else and they closed the factory a year later. I wonder why?

Girlfriend wanted me to take this spool and make a wagon out of it.

Here's what I came up with.

I used cedar fencing boards for the wagon body. It looks good as well.

I bought a big pot to put in in and will add some dirt and flowers to spruce things up.

This is gonna go next to the shed I just put up. Try and make the yard look presentable. 

Hi Blues Fog, wouldn't she let you put strings on it.

Taff 

If I said I wanted to make it into a guitar, she would say "Go ahead"

She's an enabler when it comes to the CBG addiction. At least for now. 

Nice job Blues Frog.

Thinking about Taff's suggesting about strings, maybe you could make a Hurdy Gurdy out of it. Haha

Ahh. The ideas never end!

I got my Strat partscaster on my bench today. I'm taking the 2 humbuckers out because they sounded better in another body. So I'm replacing the HB's with 3 P90's(middle being RWRP) and a 5-way switch. A true Fat Strat like I've always wanted. Pics later.

I've run into a lot of stuff to do, so I'll have to finish later. :(

I just started my second Cigar Box Ukulele. Here's the neck being varnished.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Perma grit sandpaper

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 5 hours ago. 4 Replies

Frets and fretboard

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 5 hours ago. 6 Replies

Fret Sides Dressing

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Titch the Clown on Friday. 8 Replies

Slide off decals

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Friday. 10 Replies

30.5" scale lay-out help needed please!

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Thursday. 20 Replies

Break angle for bridge

Started by Fantacone Box Works in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Thursday. 28 Replies

Navigating this forum

Started by Fantacone Box Works in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Fantacone Box Works Jul 14. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Getting ready for next build

Posted by Sean Murphy on July 17, 2019 at 12:54pm 1 Comment

What wood is this?

Posted by Sean Murphy on July 16, 2019 at 10:48am 7 Comments

apology

Posted by Danny Gordon on July 13, 2019 at 7:30pm 3 Comments

Latest Activity

Taffy Evans posted a discussion

Trueing up fingerboard timber

Hi, My last batch of ebony fingerboard blanks had a couple amongst them that had warped while I was…See More
45 minutes ago
Road Rash Roy commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Gospel with Landfill Lorretta & Iowa Saxophone

"Uncle John, I would be humbled and honored if you would play "Loretta" with me. I've…"
1 hour ago
Clint Spotts joined Shane Speal shanespeal.com's group
Thumbnail

Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101

This group is for discussing the basics of CBG building for newer builders - where to start, what…See More
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios liked Dave Lynas's video
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios posted a photo

A trio of 3 stringers

Top: my first CBG, Middle: my first CB Gitty kit, Bottom: my latest CBG
1 hour ago
Allan jay Palermo liked Andries D. EKER's video
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

RTL TinBG Collection1

"nice batch ;-)"
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Uncle John's video
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Poorness Studios's video
2 hours ago
Wekasper commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

RTL Tinbox Batman Head stock rear view

"Great on-theme headstock shape. "
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

The Rabbit and My 22

"Bowled over quite a few Bunnies in my younger days with my trusty .22 BSA Bolt action, before the…"
3 hours ago
AGP # liked Dave Lynas's video
3 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->