Do you like the round feel on the neck ?or the squair feel?
The most common you see passing by on the nation is 2x4 !
Neck shaping do we do it ? or do we leave it?

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My basic need for a fine Neck, in tool perspectif!

You got your chisels & files the shaves, big spoke shave & small your sqair box ,sander handdrill and gauge  ,some sweat from the brow (or back) handy hands determanation to do a fine job on a sturdy neck for years of fun ,o and my scoice of wood.oak mahogany lemon, cedar& asch. or just plain deal!

I've settled on ripping the playing portion of the neck down to 1.5", plenty for three strings and 4 will fit too. Then I use a router and a 1/2" radius bit on the playing area where I want a radius. A little sanding at the body and headstock and you're done. Very comfortable, quick and easy.

Mark

Thanks for your contribution Mark from Smoking guitars !,in general it usualy is ,quick & easy, but sometime you go out of your way and do a little exsta and thats when giving some thought on the shape of the neck and overall feel of it will give more long term satisfaction when that curve & feel is just right ,and it looks better to! but on the other hand, i have some builds that i just had to do whit what was afaileble on the moment that was maybee to small and as long as the sound is to your liking the playebillety comes second !

The only bad things about a router is tear-out from dull bits, going the wrong way with the grain or just the way the wood grain reacts to a fast cutting bit.

A good sharp spoke shave, small plane, heavy file or scrapper is what I use most often. It takes longer, but you don't end up with any "Ooopps!" or "AwwSh*@!" moments unless you really have trouble with tools. Practice with whatever tools your using on scrapes of the types of wood your using first before moving on to the real project.

Tried this shape recently,will certainly use it again.

Thanks Michael Fred !! for your reaction ! appriciated ! looks a bit like the hardy V seems to me like a real fine shape to handle ! great input & Picture !

I like the chunky shapes. The soft chunky V is very comfortable and guides the thumb into the “proper” playing position.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

three pole pu

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans 1 minute ago. 3 Replies

Tuner screws (screwed)

Started by KOOL DOG HOOCH in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by KOOL DOG HOOCH 1 hour ago. 18 Replies

Free Cigar Box Tablature Library

Started by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by the snowwalker yesterday. 14 Replies

r.e. testbed...

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog on Saturday. 17 Replies

PDF Download: Cool Gift Idea - Invite them to your shop

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Taffy Evans on Saturday. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Joe Nanzer posted a status
3 minutes ago
"Music I’ve been working on. The song whiskey save my soul by written by Ray Hall and performed our acoustic duo the fantastics features..."
5 minutes ago
"What’s everyone been up to? Hope all is well! I’ve been in the middle of a bunch of different projects lately. I’m posting links of......"
7 minutes ago
Craig W.Solomon posted a blog post

Tupelo Tenor kit

Hi, all, recently finished  gitty 4string kit, used the shorter banjo kit bridge, filed it down…See More
8 minutes ago
Taffy Evans replied to Robbie's discussion Aluminum Tailpiece good ground?
"Hi Robbie, the better the contact the bridge has with the top the better the response. One would…"
19 minutes ago
19 minutes ago
Clarky commented on Clarky's video
25 minutes ago
Clarky commented on Clarky's video
26 minutes ago
James Pobog added a discussion to the group Radios turned Guitar Amps
Thumbnail

Zenith C845

Just got one, and hoping to figure how to use it for an amp.Switched RCA plug, 'radio' and 'phono'.…See More
27 minutes ago
P.E.Palfreyman updated their profile
56 minutes ago
Doc Helliday posted a discussion

Thoughts on the Wickedbucker?

Any of y'all have any experience or can recommend the Wickedbucker for a Reso biscuit style?I'm…See More
57 minutes ago
KOOL DOG HOOCH replied to KOOL DOG HOOCH's discussion Tuner screws (screwed)
"Hi Glenn, great hearing from you. You were about 2 hrs North of me and it would've been cool…"
1 hour ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->