1. What is your favorite slide?

2. How many do you have?

3. What slide material do you favor?

4. What material do you not like so much?

5. Do you have in slide technique advice?

Pinky finger: my fave, a tapered Dunlop brass.    Ring Finger, 1B.  A ceramic by Dave Lynas -which I like better on some songs.   Badfinger a bottle neck from my friend, the Maddog.     Pointer finger, a big socket HEAVY!    Thumb- I really like a shot glass for a lap diddley.

Views: 2412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good response, Tom!

I've had trouble finding things that fit my fingers right and feel comfortable. I've found one glass slide, which I love...and it's basically all I use. If I ever loose it, I'll be in trouble. 

Slide playing took me awhile to get used too. I'm no expert, but I think I can now make some decent noise with it. At least I can on my CBG's. 

Yup, you do well with a slide.   And most folks go through several slides to find one that works.   The Dunlop website gives inside measurements in MM. 

I only have the one, 70mm long, glass slide worn on the middle finger whilst playing more traditional blues e.g. Feeling Bad Blues or on the ring finger if I want to play modern Blues or Blues Rock e.g. Seven Nation Army.

Interesting that you play different styles of blues on different fingers.   But I guess I do the same thing.   Pinky if I an going to finger fret some... and ring if all or mostly slide.

I find that more modern blues and Blues Rock requires you to be able to fret the strings a little more than traditional, so I open up the user of my middle and fore finger for power chords.

If I am playing what I would call purer slide blues, I have it on my middle finger and only use the slide much in the style of Mississippi Fred McDowall.

I played (when in rock bands years ago ) slide on my pinky. That left three fingers that I could cord and note with. Really worked will for stuff like Skynyrd and the James Gang. 

Gen-u-wine slides- about 6- glass, chrome, brass and one I think is acrylic I like glass and I don't like anything that isn't smooth. I use to make slides out of booze bottles but I like them flat not easy to find flat neck bottle 

Sounds like a collection, RTZ.   Yes, I tried and didn't like unpolished copper and bone because they just were not slick enough for my preference.  

Getting clearer.  We like what we like and there's no simple answer for material.  

I think it best to use Pinky or ring - even the folks who don't chord or note - because some day they may want to and because it is usually best to drag that ring finger when you slide.

good question. my favorite by far is my bone slide made by Randy. it just has that sound, and most of all the feel. its hard to explain but you can really get in there and get with it. Ive got all kinds of slides the one i least like is copper.  I also learned a little trick form Randy that custom formed most of my slides , moleskin .   yup.  yup.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Ideas for supporting nuts

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 11 hours ago. 1 Reply

Piezo disc under fretboard

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Paul Craig 18 hours ago. 10 Replies

Yamaha yg15 schematic needed

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Paul Craig 18 hours ago. 27 Replies

Pan for a resonator

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Paul Craig on Friday. 8 Replies

Placing piezio rod

Started by Steve Eckel in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Thursday. 7 Replies

Single-layer boxes?

Started by Sean Murphy in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker on Thursday. 6 Replies

Trivia Quiz

Started by Tim Pannabecker in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by the anonymous pick on Wednesday. 9 Replies

Equalizer preamp

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Tuesday. 8 Replies

Decal top removal

Started by Robert Bryan in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner May 13. 3 Replies

Blog Posts

Latest build

Posted by Sean Murphy on May 8, 2019 at 9:03pm 4 Comments

Netherlands Tour

Posted by Dar Stellabotta on May 8, 2019 at 5:33pm 0 Comments

Sunday canjo fun

Posted by Sean Murphy on April 21, 2019 at 5:26pm 2 Comments

Finding Xanadu in Memphis

Posted by Poorness Studios on April 13, 2019 at 6:00pm 5 Comments

Latest Activity

Andries D. EKER commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

U R My Sunshine ~ at a bit faster pace

"like i say's on the Tube ! You are the Sunschine ,and spot on whit  the do it yourself…"
6 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Oggy

"Thanks guys. I agree"
8 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Hobo Fiddle ~ 3 string

"LOL, Alan and Dave. I am NOT allowed matches, but I have a small stash."
9 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Hobo Fiddle ~ 3 string

"Thanks guys. It is an Emerson cigar box. I removed the top and raised and angled the new top to (in…"
11 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Earth Breaker Soul Shaker

"Dog comes running in the Yard Sits down looks and takes a dunk Me looking, agrevated giving a…"
12 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on AGP #'s photo
16 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on AGP #'s photo
16 minutes ago
Thumbnail

AGP #355 - ''Angie''

"As usual, I comment and THEN read the story.  Bring it on over and we will figure it…"
17 minutes ago
Thumbnail

AGP #355 - ''Angie''

"Oh baby! If I wanted some plugged in fast paced blues, this would be a good ticket. Nice one, Alan.…"
18 minutes ago
Eero Tapani Lehtinen liked darren brown's photo
20 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on High Bird Handcrafted Instuments's photo
21 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on High Bird Handcrafted Instuments's photo
Thumbnail

Réunion Kestrel - Headstock

"Good art on both."
22 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->