1. What is your favorite slide?

2. How many do you have?

3. What slide material do you favor?

4. What material do you not like so much?

5. Do you have in slide technique advice?

Pinky finger: my fave, a tapered Dunlop brass.    Ring Finger, 1B.  A ceramic by Dave Lynas -which I like better on some songs.   Badfinger a bottle neck from my friend, the Maddog.     Pointer finger, a big socket HEAVY!    Thumb- I really like a shot glass for a lap diddley.

Views: 2658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i will use anything i can get my hands on. 

i would like to try a ceramic but they are just way to spendy for me.i can not in good conscience pay over $10 for a slide (on a fixed income). ( i know there is a lot of work in making a ceramic)

right now i am using a dunlop $7.50.... forgot the number fits nice a tad longer then i want....

i usually get to liking a slide and end up giving it away with a guitar i have made... i may try polishing up some copper from the local Ace store (a good hint from this thread)... have not figured out how to cut a bottle. neck yet

Like you, Crossroads, I've given up a few slides along with guitars I have sold or gifted.  Yup it's cool to use used, found, free and cheap objects for slides.   You say you want to try a ceramic slide, but not pay too much.  Check out Dave Lynas's photos here on CBN.   He makes some really nice slides and I think in your desired price range.   He does a lot of art, building and playing - and he may be ready to get back in slide making mode.   Good guy.

My favorite is an old brass slide that I bought on eBay. It was advertised as being from the 60's-70's. It's just long enough to span 3-4 string cbg's and it's the perfect size for my ring finger to have the best control.

I see people talking about using red and green Tobasxo bottles. Do they use the bottlenecks, or what?

Remove the labels and use them as they are for lap style.  Someone here cut one down for a more regular type slide.  I think it would be too large on my finger.

Hey all. I cut off a piece of copper pipe, for my slide. Tried glass not a fan. I'm new to building and am going basic all the way from free cigar boxes to a 1x2x6 board for under 3 bucks. Most money I spend is on strings.

There is or was a group here on CBN called, I think, Low Budget Builders.   That is really the CBG heritage.  

Here's a question for you. I've been playing Slide for a while, so I know how to do it. However, I Slide, and often get a sound that I can only describe as a car going over a bridge. Ba-bump. It seems like a common occurrence. Do my frets need to be worked on, new strings, or higher action? Thanks.

I'm no pro, but a little higher string height helps me do that less on a fretted guitar.   Funny, a little bit of fret rattle is fine when someone else does it, but unwanted when I do it.

Do be sure to drag your index on the strings behind the slide to reduce unwanted noise.

What is your favorite slide?  Glass (or Pyrex...I forget)

How many do you have? 1 glass, 1 toolbox full of steel, err, sockets. lol  Actually only a couple of those fit my fingers.

What slide material do you favor? Glass for now. I've got a metal housing off a small electric motor that's pretty good on the diddley bow (which needs a photo posted), but it needs tape on the inside to improve the fit.

What material do you not like so much? Haven't tried enough to judge. I need to get some copper from the store to try that. I may polish one side to compare.

Do you have in slide technique advice?  Not in the least.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods 6 hours ago. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Ghostbuttons commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_2850

"Four recent projects. All 23 inch GDG. From left (bottom): 1.  20 years ago I worked for the…"
22 minutes ago
Ghostbuttons posted a photo
37 minutes ago
BrianQ. commented on Fantacone Box Works's status
"The know for a fact that the only way to participate is to join the FB group? I believe they do it…"
1 hour ago
Fantacone Box Works posted a status
"Hi, anyone have info on the CBG Swap Off. I stay away from Facebook. Mike"
2 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to Nomad Jack's discussion Busking Songs...
6 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
AGP # liked 3 String Blues's video
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on 3 String Blues's video
Thumbnail

Delta Blues - The most beautiful sound in the world

"a crying Mermaid ! by a weeping Willow! Nice Red Dog !"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"  My Trusted steed , Hungree and ready to Rumble!"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

In live the tendency is to go Up! rise above go higher and higher, is this a fore filling way to go , cause when you cant go any higher, then there is on...
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

The Blues riff a Tutorial BCB 2024

"Thanks Keith ! glad you Did ! Appreciated !"
8 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Kind of you Ray! Now ya gotta check them glasses prescription bro... ha ha! -Glenn"
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->