What is the optimum nut height and bridge height combination. What are the best materials to use?

I have been building and experimenting for a couple of years now. 

1) I am curious for peoples thoughts on the best set up heights for the nut and bridge.

2) Having experimented with many materials, what is the best nut material and bridge material?  

Views: 10742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a first step, for the nut I use an old blunt jigsaw (aka sabresaw) blade that I found was just a touch higher than my frets. To check, put it between two frets and get a short straight edge/fret rocker if you  get a little bit of rocking,  I covered one side of the old blade with  masking tape to minimize the chance of scratching the fretboard. Then I hold that against the nut and cut my string slots with a junior hack saw, stopping when the blade hits the old blade. I then adjust the width of my slots as necessary. At this stage the instrument is ready for stringing up. 

I then follow  up with the universal third fret method on all my builds. You press down between the second and third fret. There should be a slight gap of a gnat's whisker between the string and the first fret. Old time builders tested with a cigarette paper. I just make it really really close but without  touching. Given the above step I usually don't have much to do. 

This is how all instruments I build from bass ukuleles to Tahitian ukuleles are set up at the nut. No exceptions for instruments needing fingered frets.   Slide or fretless can be higher.

Action (at the 12th) varies between instruments from 1.5mm on Tahitian ukes to 6mm for bass ukes and in between  for everything else. It is more of a taste and playing style thing.  If fret noise is your thing (I call it fret growl on bass ukes) make the action lower. If your frets are a little uneven leaving the action a little  high can compensate for that. 

Thanks for the tip, Titch. Guess I've been pretty Damn lucky so far, using the "eyeballing and feels right" method. I like your method better. I couldn't get my first one to sound right now I know at. Thank you again.

Someone revived an old post.

On the cheap rosewood or Ebony for both saddle and nut, easy to shape and cut string slots nice warm tone.

Bone blocks for nuts work great for 3 and 4 string bridges. There is a reason guitar company's use tone wood and bone.

Bolts look great but don't transfer vibrations very well, I think in the last 7 years we have all learn this but still use them. We all have a box of old bolts.

On fretted necks use a headstock tuner to set string height, check intonation between open note and the 1st fret if they are not correct none will be. I didn't have a clue 7 years ago.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Preping boxes

Started by White Raven in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans 9 hours ago. 2 Replies

7 Nation Army Variation

Started by Paul Keener in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Poorness Studios 17 hours ago. 4 Replies

This month's installment of "WHAT THE HECK IS IT?"

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by the anonymous pick 18 hours ago. 11 Replies

Video.. Building an Evans full acoustic guitar

Started by Taffy Evans in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 18 hours ago. 7 Replies

couple more pix

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog yesterday. 3 Replies

Baritone first pix

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Thursday. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Tab for Ry Cooder

Posted by Keith Gibson on September 30, 2019 at 12:44pm 2 Comments

Ducktail Run in James Dean Country

Posted by Rick Tish on September 29, 2019 at 9:57pm 1 Comment

Tiki mask guitar

Posted by Phil Stickings on September 27, 2019 at 12:39pm 5 Comments

Festival in the land that time forgot

Posted by Rick Tish on September 23, 2019 at 10:09am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

David Hopkins posted photos
17 minutes ago
Cause the Blue rat replied to James Pobog's discussion Pick guard/cavity cover material
"Thin plywood and now trying masonite. A bit thicker than normal pick guards at between 1/8 to 3/16.…"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. commented on Bill Turner (Wunkyman)'s photo
1 hour ago
Downtown Vinnie posted a video

New Age Beatnick

A Base of One string Bass served with a side of octave one string bass,drenched in a Leslie speaker / Flashback Delay sauce
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick replied to James Pobog's discussion Pick guard/cavity cover material
"Tried , tested, and true  ;-)"
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Bill Turner (Wunkyman)'s photo
Thumbnail

metal muerte

"Awesome sauce , "
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick left a comment for PEGGY TRAMBLE
"Here are some NS folks ..not sure how many are CAPE  B…"
2 hours ago
smilingdog1 commented on smilingdog1's photo
Thumbnail

Jasons October Entry

"His kit had flush pre - wired mini bucker, 4 pole single pre-wired, 35mm piezo with jack. knobs,…"
3 hours ago
PEGGY TRAMBLE and Ken Vickerson are now friends
4 hours ago
Bill Turner (Wunkyman) posted photos
4 hours ago
3 String Guitars posted photos
4 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to James Pobog's discussion Pick guard/cavity cover material
"Wasn’t gitty selling those vinyl pickguards at one time? I remember Shane did a video about…"
4 hours ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->