My CBG is still in its infancy stages and I've cut my neck down so it fits flush with the edge of the top of the cigar box. My perceived dilemma is my strings will set too low and hit my deltabucker pickups. I still have to set in all the above items(strings, pickups) to include an adjustable metal bridge and I don't know if it will give me some room for error. Also I  still have to finish setting the final height on my bone nut to boot so with all those "variables" still in play I don't want to get to the final assembly stage only to tear it down and rout the neck down some more to negate any string and pickup interference . Am I over thinking this or what?

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope. Your experiencing 'beginner pains'. There a lot like growing pains. Only with beginner pains you get to decide what the final product looks like. : ) 

Larry Ratliff
I watched a video from Chicken Bone John and he suggests setting the fret board at approximately 1/8 to a 1/4 above the edge of the cigar box so the action isn't to high. Looks like I'm going to have to take some more wood off to bring the fret board up a little higher to set the correct intonation. Does this sound about right to you?
I'm working on CGB #7 right now, but in all honesty I have to admit that #6 wasn't a CBG, but rather a full up Strat. Each and every one of my builds has had learning curve-itis, where I've run full-tilt-boogie into that wall that marks out what I know, what I think I know, and what the reality of the build actually is. Learning stuff all the time, methods of work, sequence of build events (what's gotta come first, what wants attention later) that kinda stuff. And admittedly, as I've progressed, my builds have gotten more and more involved. Patience, and keep your eye on the long ball.
Larry Ratliff
I watched a video from Chicken Bone John and he suggests setting the fret board at approximately 1/8 to a 1/4 above the edge of the cigar box so the action isn't to high. Looks like I'm going to have to take some more wood off to bring the fret board up a little higher to set the correct intonation.
I watch a video from Chicken Bone John and he suggests setting the fret board at approximately 1/8 to a 1/4 above the edge of the cigar box so the action isn't to high. Looks like I'm going to have to take some more wood off to bring the fret board up a little higher to set the correct intonation.

Larry,

I highly suggest doing exactly that.  I now build all of mine with the fretboard 1/4" above the top of the box AND with a neck tilt (1/8 - 1/4" higher at the bridge end of the box).  This gives your picking hand a lot of room btw the strings and the top of the box.

My 1st build where the fretboard was flush with the box:

A latter build with it 1/4" above the box and with neck angle (look at all the space btw the strings and box top):

I now build all my necks with 2 pieces.  It's simply easier to build as notching hardwood isn't exactly easy and you only have to cut one small notch at the body/neck junction for the lid. 

Love those photos Webster. That is how I am trying to get mine rebuilt. I am eager to see how it turns out. Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much, I would rather catch this issue now than when I string it up and find out the action is too high.

Solid Webster 

Like Webster, I go for about a 1/4" above the box and rake the neck a little also, it all helps with intonation, playability and break angle over the bridge, one of the simplest ways to lay it out is to place something on the box , roughly the same height and position you want your bridge set to, then set up a nut the required distance away and run a straight edge between the 2, it will show the string line and from there you can work out box clearance etc by raising or lowering your nut and /or bridge to suit, then at final setting up you just need to lower them a little for better intonation if you set them a touch high in your mock up.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

R.L. Burnside

Started by Mike Seymore in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Shane Speal shanespeal.com 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

fret cutting jig

Started by Alan Dillard in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Alan Dillard 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

What's on your workbench?

Started by Paul Craig in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 10 hours ago. 733 Replies

VIDEO & PHOTOS: Naughty Cigar Box Guitar Has "Peep Show" Window!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Stuart Joseph yesterday. 1 Reply

Bedpan pickups

Started by Robert Bryan in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig yesterday. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

CBG project

Posted by Philip Hopper on October 13, 2018 at 3:45pm 3 Comments

Introduction

Posted by Freddie Cisneros on October 13, 2018 at 2:24pm 2 Comments

My Foray Into the World of CBGs

Posted by Poorness Studios on October 13, 2018 at 10:30am 2 Comments

interesting phone call

Posted by Thomas Blasque on October 13, 2018 at 9:22am 0 Comments

what a time it is

Posted by Thomas Blasque on October 13, 2018 at 9:07am 1 Comment

Latest Activity

AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #333 - ''Bones''

""Thanks Dennis", I don't do a lot of actual Cigar Box builds these days, like…"
2 minutes ago
Jerry Jordan replied to Mardi Macfly's discussion What's the best brand of sandpaper and/or sanding tool?
"From experience.,.,.,don't buy sandpaper at the dollar store, or from Harbor freight.,.,.,the…"
17 minutes ago
cbgkent posted a discussion

One string ukulele (the "very diddly bow")

Here's my latest video on one of my latest guitars builds. Loads of fun to play with a little bit…See More
38 minutes ago
Frank Scott replied to Frank Scott's discussion String Gauges -3 string ?
"Hello John,  I would be tuning GDG (basic open G tuning). I would think the heavier gauge set…"
41 minutes ago
cbgkent posted a status
"Ever wondered what a "very diddly bow" sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7P5xMJ3sY"
42 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on BeetleJuice!'s photo
Thumbnail

Workin' for a livin'

"That is a cool pic.  I know you make great sounding guitars and pickups.  What are those…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Muddy Creek Guitars's video
Thumbnail

I play with Banjovi & Hawkins (and Anne).

"Pretty cool, John.  Love that song.  Good job, man!"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Danny Gordon's video
Thumbnail

Fire On The Mountain Marshall Tucker Band

"Great looking Hat, Danny.  Good job!"
1 hour ago
ChickenboneJohn replied to Frank Scott's discussion String Gauges -3 string ?
"What gauge you choose depends on what tuning you go for...you can still put a lot of load on a neck…"
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Brian Fink's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Dave Lynas's video
1 hour ago
Don Stachovak replied to Frank Scott's discussion String Gauges -3 string ?
"I would try the .017 .026 .036 first. That's the middle 3 from a set of 10's and should…"
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service