OK so it seems that Wayfinder started something that may have started something that didn't set well with everyone.

So I submit to you, I challenge you to a comparison photo dicussion.

Post your photos of of your most "down to basics" CBG and also your best built "New Fangled" CBG and then let the comments come in.

Give us the description of how each was built, and how you feel it sounds, in your own opinion. If you have a video of the git being played post that as well.

There are only TWO Rules.

Rule # 1. Post only photos and videos of your own builds.

Rule # 2. There are no rules on what's considered "grass roots" or "New Fangled"

Now, Let the fun begin.......

Views: 2431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You guys are really creative!Beautiful instruments,great job!!!!

I've been trying to not put a "tailbone" on them and keep it minimally glued and screwed,clean.This the only pic I have,its going to my Uncles best friend thats a musician.

Fretless,poplar neck,oak(?)fretboard,tailpiece and bolt bridge.Oh and piezos,plug and play.

Attachments:

Look's nice.

Nice looking box. Very clean. I'm sure he'll love it.

Traditional photo is the 'Old Timer'.  Vintage cigar box with a neck made from the end of an oak shelf, probably 100-year old timber.  The pickup is an Elmar Flatpup with a single volume control with a vintage chicken head knob.  Bronze jumbo frets - nice but not cheap !

New Fangled photo is the 'Newscaster'.  It's an art box, covered in news clippings with an eBay commercial neck.  Commercial bridge and humbuckers, volume and tone for each pickup with push-pull coil cut.

Like those. Thought about using the comic page before, but never got around to it.

The Old Timer is nice. Very minimalistic.

Like that six stringer too. 

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  I haven't built anything this year because I've been quite busy with moving house and other family issues.  Once I've converted the dump that is my garage into a workshop, I have a few things in mind :-)

Time to write the "No time to build a CBG Blues"

Basic and old school and one of my faves.   Tuned CGC and does not get enough attention due to me singing best in G.   Piezo, but the jack is kept out of sight for the suggestion that it could have been built circa 1925.   Good discussion!

Nice one Uncle John.

Nice weathered looking neck Unc.

It needs gold tuners, gold corners, a bit gold pup and more.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
13 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
13 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
15 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
15 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
17 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
20 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
23 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
23 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->