This build has been a little haphazard (my first build from top to bottom). After working on the neck for a while, I decide I need to lay a 1/4" red oak fret board on top to give the neck a little more strength. So I lay the red oak down on the neck and notice quite a steep down angle between where I was planning to put a Zero Fret and where the tuners are. What I'm wondering is:

1. IS there such a thing as too much down angle?
  2. Does the configuration pictured look like it has too much "down" in the down angle?
  3. If so, does anybody have any suggestions on how I can save this neck from the scrap heap?

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks a little deep to me, I just use 1x2 oak as a through body. I cut 4" slice half thickness of neck at tuner end. Never have reinforced and has always worked great.

It'll work out fine, go with it

Thanks Wayfinder, I'll take the string tree route so the strings enter the tuner at less steep angle. Darn iPhone camera distorts images pretty badly at times... The neck is exactly 1" thick. I have to wait until Monday for gold fret wire, then I'll be able to finish this guitar!

(Just random lute head from google)

It is difficult to pitch a head back too far. But let's understand, your head is not pitched down, it operates parallel with the fingerboard, but is set down (offset) by a certain distance. This way of building a guitar head was pioneered by Leo fender and while easier in some ways it does present some challenges. Because it is very possible to have your strings exit (enter??) the post on the tuning machine at too steep an angle where a wind might possibly slip over the top. The suggestion other guys are making, string trees will pull the strings down from the nut at an even greater angle, but they'll reduce the angle of incidence at the post of the tuning machines which is where you'll potentially have a problem.
But you don't know this yet, hurry up and string the sucker up!!
If there's a problem the other blokes said it - string trees, not the shame pile of failures. Best.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Mini powered scrollsaw

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner yesterday. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

Tab for Ry Cooder

Posted by Keith Gibson on September 30, 2019 at 12:44pm 2 Comments

Ducktail Run in James Dean Country

Posted by Rick Tish on September 29, 2019 at 9:57pm 1 Comment

Tiki mask guitar

Posted by Phil Stickings on September 27, 2019 at 12:39pm 5 Comments

Festival in the land that time forgot

Posted by Rick Tish on September 23, 2019 at 10:09am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

Denbo liked Daniel Walter's photo
3 minutes ago
Denbo liked Gary Thorne's photo
6 minutes ago
Denbo liked Wade's photo
7 minutes ago
Denbo liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
7 minutes ago
Denbo liked David Hopkins's photo
12 minutes ago
Denbo liked David Hopkins's photo
12 minutes ago
Denbo commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #369 - ''Tamjo''

"Hi Mate, I noticed 2 cheapo tambourines on eBay similar to this but with drumheads one rawhide…"
14 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
46 minutes ago
BrianQ. commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

Fret Rocking not so shocking

"I like that headstock shape?"
46 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Wade's photo
Thumbnail

Double Trouble

"Very nice ."
3 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Wade's photo
3 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly posted a photo

Fret Rocking not so shocking

Lucky to get some quiet time at my bench ...
3 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->