I have a 3pole delta blues pick up from cbgitty. Comes wired with a plug in. Do I need to ground this unit?

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

, all magnetic pickups are grounded, prevents hum, except low impedance pickups. Taff.

Actually . Not all mag pickups need  grounding .  Many humbucker  pickups   you can use straight to Jack  because they were designed to  "buck  the hum" hence the name " HUM-BUCKER" . Other shielded / treated  pickups can also pass the test . Some are much more effective  , even labeled  "silent ".   Not to mention Some folks  would rather not have their guitars grounded due to stage / shock hazards  etc .. Many Pro musicians  play un-grounded guitars  , or with a ground switch  to use if needed.

I can't speak for the delta pickup , because i have never used them . but your best bet is to try it without , if it is hummy .  try  grounding it .  usually this only involves running a wire from the back of the volume pot to  the bridge  (if metal ) .  but  remember . lights , other appliances , radios, other machines   on the same line ... etc . can all have an effect on hum .  sometimes just plugging your amp in a different room  makes a huge difference .

good luck.

ps .. your replies are not showing up . please click the "html editor" in top right corner befor you post . (its a site glitch )

Karen, I think you’re asking if you need to ground the the pickup to the Bridge? Yes, a good idea, it’s actually standard practice whether it needs it or not, even in brands like Gibson, PRS,Jackson that are known for humbuckers? But the Delta pickup is a single coil pickup, so yes you will ground it to the Bridge or anything touching the strings? Good luck with your build :)

Thanks for all the advice. I am putting it in a licence plate guitar.  We will see how it sounds.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Hardtail Bridge

Started by Seasick Mick in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Seasick Mick 3 hours ago. 10 Replies

String query

Started by Michael Myers in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Michael Myers Apr 6. 3 Replies

CallyFest 4

Started by Richard Sundberg in Fests and Concerts: Organizing and Promoting. Last reply by Southern Ray Mar 19. 46 Replies

Latest Activity

Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Comin down the home stretch

"Cannot wait to see the finished goods, Randy!  And hear your sound test!"
2 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Gib and Willy in Duck’s Store

"I used to think I could draw.....  "
4 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

"Another 'story in a drawing', Dave!  Agree with Unc re: the portrait!  I see…"
4 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

IA75b

"A nice clean build, T!"
7 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

IA75a

"Nicely done, T! I agree with Uncle John about being averse to cutting into an old plate to mount a…"
8 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans liked T-Gripped's photo
13 minutes ago
t-belly johnson liked Gary O'slide's video
53 minutes ago
t-belly johnson liked Poorness Studios's video
56 minutes ago
t-belly johnson commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Banjo Build Diary: Day 2 [Sanding & Finishing]

"Looking good! Great finish with just one coat of Danish. You put the effort in of  going down…"
56 minutes ago
t-belly johnson liked A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

"He quacks me up.   "
2 hours ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Comin down the home stretch

Won`t be long now till the strings go on it.
2 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->