This kind of ties in with Uncle John's Graduation discussion I guess. 

I'm finding that all the time I spend on my quest for good acoustic tone and volume by leaving a space between the through neck and soundboard sometimes goes to waste. After they are strung up for a while ( years maybe?) the soundboard just bends till the bridge and soundboard are now resting on the neck.

In some cases, this has actually improved the playability by lowering the action but on others that already had low action, it results in "fretbuzz".

So it looks like I may need to "Graduate" to the advanced stuff like bracing or maybe even making my own boxes or soundboards.

Do you folks think bracing helps with tone/volume or does it just result in a strong top that no longer vibrates much due to the bracing since that adds mass and weight to the soundboard? I know it is essential on full sized guitars but on the small area of a CBG.

I wonder if a small block between the bridge and neck would be better, worse or about the same as bracing. A block or a screw or something sure is a lot easier. 

Views: 1351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried a dowelstick experiment and found that the sound was dampened considerably when I put a section of 3/8" dowel between the neck and lid right under the bridge.

Here's a video of my experiment... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31SJo9Xd70&feature=youtu.be

Great experiment, Jim and the results are easy to hear.

One point to consider is that on violins, the dowel actually connects the top of the box to the bottom. This, I think, would transfer the vibration energy to a 2nd surface capable of vibrations (i e the bottom of the violin). I can understand how wedging the dowel between the neck and the box top would tend to prevent the top from freely vibrating as you demonstrated.

Shawn, in an earlier reply to this thread indicated that he had great improvement in volume when he installed the dowel, but he drilled a hole in the neck so the dowel could connect the box top to the box bottom without being dampened by the dense wood of the neck. That may be the difference between your two results.

Still, I think your experiment and video provides us with more information we can use to improve our builds.

Thanks!

When I use dowels underneath the bridge, I have two, one either side of the bridge. When I play the guitar the whole box seems to vibrate. My latest acoustic build uses this system and despite the tiny box it is loud enough to sing along to at home.

Thanks for sharing your experiment Jim. Your result is why I have always left a space between the neck and box. They start off sounding more like your no dowel sample and end up sounding more like your with dowell sound as the top collapses and touches the neck. I don't know if in this case the dowel being under enough pressure to lift the bridge a bit makes any difference or not but your test seems pretty convincing for a gap.

Can someone put some pictures up of the dowels installed so us "non dowel" users can get a visual of what your doing? What sort of size dowels are you using and do you just leave the dowel end flat or do you shave it to some sort of a point? I'm keen to give this atry but just trying to get a better idea of the configuration!

The dowel talked about from the violin is called a sound post,and is placed under the treble foot of the bridge. It is placed there to transfer vibrations or resonation to the back of the instrument as well. This has been done for hundreds of years, so it's no suprise to find it working on CBG's as well.

There is also a rail called the bass bar that runs the length of the violin and is placed under the bass foot of the bridge. It would be interesting to see if the bass bar works in CBG's as well. A bass bar resembles a support brace from a guitar.

Thanks for the clarification Gary. I thought it was to transfer vibration to the back of the violin, but didn't have any specific references. This could be a very good thing for CBG volume.

This seems to be an ongoing conversation on this forum popping up every month or two. I'm starting to think this is one of those whatever-works-for-you things. If you're having problems with having a space then I'd definitely try something else. 

From my experience (which is only 6 finished builds) the neck-glued-to-box works the best. I find it's an easier build method, better volume/sustain and I've had zero deformation of the lid. Saying that, my best build in terms of volume and sound quality was my tenor uke. That neck was fixed with dowels through the heel. The bridge-saddle was glued to the top and the top was braced. The BIG difference on this box is that I built the box from scratch and used 3mm cedar for the soundboard. I think the box itself makes the biggest difference. 

I have built my cigarbox ukes and banjo using the bottom of the box as the top and that seems to give a better tone.  I think the bottom wood is a better grade than the top.

Are you using paper-covered boxes?  Most modern paper-covered box lids are actually masonite, not wood, ergo the bottom sounds better, even tho most of those are plywood.  Those masonite tops don't resonate so well.  Also, all the above (IMHO, YMMV) is moot if you're amplified.

I have recently built my first git that wasn't a neck through. Granted, the top was tin, not woood, but I think the process of pressure will still act the same. I needed to brace under the bridge to keep the face from bowing as I tightened the strings. The same goes for the neck through. I made mine so they glued to the face of the cigar box. So far they have given good sustain.

Brace the face along the neck and I think you will see the sustain you are looking for.

Just my opinion.....

I think that sustain and volume are two completely different things, right? A banjo for example has very high volume but a very short sustain, or "rapid decay" of the note, but an electric guitar may have very long sustain of the note but almost no volume (until it is amplified). For an acoustic "guitar" to sound what is considered "good" it needs to have both high volume and long sustain, for the most part I think.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Thx Doug, truly fun to create and use. Plugged into a stomp box, then amp, truly amazing little…"
1 hour ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

Less Paul by GK

"Thanks Doug, a joy to build. I'll play it tomorrow night in a show. -Glenn"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Truly amazing Randy! A stunning build. Craftsmanship at its finest…"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"I’m with Kale; the shaker sound nicely offsets the guitar groove… Cool Andries!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Love that outside the box thinking! Less Paul, more Glenn! You are having way too much fun…"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

Less Paul by GK

"Wow! Less Paul is definitely more Glenn!!! Simple and cool; a great combo."
3 hours ago
Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
8 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
10 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
10 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
10 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
10 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->