I hate to be "that guy" but here goes anyway.

Is anyone else around here kind of turned off by the new look and feel?  I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm finding little functional changes here and there that I really like.  I think it only makes sense that there is an integration between this site and C. B. Gitty since both of the sites have become so comprehensive in their respective areas.  I like the idea that a newbie can stumble across this site and that C. B. Gitty is only a click away.  It reduces some of the leg work for someone who decides he or she wants to get started.

I also like how the photos that everyone uploads now has a running slide show on the home page of the site.  Looking at the photos is one of the main reasons I come here as I can see what everyone else is doing.  Everyone keeps reminding me through their work that there are so many things that I haven't thought of and I continue to be inspired by everyone's ingenuity.

But the visual theme of this site is sort of a downer.  It looks flat and 2-D-ish.  It seems impersonal; like Tron had gotten hold of the site and redesigned everything.

What does everyone else think?  Just me?

Views: 1707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See, to me its the font. Its too... military and cold. Kinda reminds me of a military surplus store site. It needs some real bitchin' to it. Something really (not Goth) but goth in a way. Its too plain. here is my CBG persona banner in firefox:

(click to view @ 100%)

-WY

... and the gray is cold too. The yellow, amber, brown before was more warm.

Kinda remember, we're the CBG Nation -- a Revolution per se. We needs something...Soviet in a weird way. Not industrial, and everybody, but everybody yes, does goth bullsh17. Kinda getting really old.

"yeah, we see your crosses, your hearts with roses and barbed wire, your angel wings sprouting spontaneously from inanimate objects. Hang you're Vampire-over-used artwork outside and impress me with the next fashion craze."

-WY

Oh and why do we need a link to "Chat" link on the top when chat is on the front page and on the bottom of the window?

-WY

I for one like the new look, much "cleaner" than the old one.

With reference to Johns comments I reckon the boxstock logo is far too fussy, too much going on.

Just get the message across without getting artistic and flowery, I am a very plain guy with plain tastes and it suits me fine. In fact I was well impressed by the sleekness the first time I saw it.

Hey that's just my opinion!

Well, since we are voicing opinions.

The CBG is a gritty primal instrument.  A low buck, economically driven instrument. Kind of an old school, 1880 grunge-punk scene. Traditional, Functional , no spit and polish.

I liked the way the old design sort of reflected that rustic look and feel.

I didn't really get it until I started going to small open mics, live music venues and seeing the singer songwriter types that started this in person.

Musical scruffiness at it's best.

That said ... as long as it works, I cool with it. Ben is doing a great job and I back him 100%.

AFKAM

Thanks again for the ongoing advice everyone. I am always mildly amazed by the reactions that web design cause in people. 99% barely notice or say "if the site works, it's fine"; 0.99% suggest tweaks or minor changes of things they don't like; and 0.01% react like you've purposefully inflicted visual syphillis upon them through your ghastly, seizure-inducing horror. C'est la internet! :)

I wondered why I wasn't feeling too good... you've inflicted syphillis on us?

Gosh.. that's a bit harsh in the first week....

Well since someone asked.....

I mostly like the changes so far. Old home page was getting "cluttered"

I dont spend much time looking at the logo so..... Well it is big.

I vote FOR the pics in the bigger frame, that was a good move. Grabs your attention instead of looking like an afterthought.

The chat box could be the new after thought or moved off the home page entirely for all I care. Its just a distraction IMO.

Music player moved to a more prominent location is good.

Bowies package should remain, lest I confuse him with his sister.

So far so good, and a big thanks to Ben for his time and effort!

Site works, i can read it, and it loads a touch faster on my busted old laptop. Im happy!
Ben, those are useful improvements (and obviously you can't do anything about the stuff that's inherent to Ning). You're obviously thinking in the right direction. We just need to give you time to develop the site.

C. B. Gitty (Ben) said:

Mark - I have definitely been working on streamlining, slimming down and reducing the total data payload of the homepage. The new banner that CBJ dislikes so much is about 1/5th the size (in KB) of the old one. Also fewer groups displaying (to Diane's chagrin) and fewer graphical ads help that too. Some of the structure/coding stuff is just inherent to Ning and we don't have a lot of control over it. Another thing I have tried to focus on is removing any blank space... if you recall with the old banner which was a good bit thicker to begin with, there was a lot of blank space so you always had to do some scrolling to get to the content.

whats so offensive about christmas?  honestly, the world has gone mad.

as for the new layout - looks ok, maybe a bit sterile, and the colours could be better. but theres plenty of time for fine tuning.

Shane Speal said:

How about a Christmas theme!!!

I'm not sure about the header font.  Maybe it might offend some people.  We need to tread lightly, you know...

Derp.  Where's my beer?
The grey is the only thing I'd change but it aint a biggie-I like the header-its clean and unfussy.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
11 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
11 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
12 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
12 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
13 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
15 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
17 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
21 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
21 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->