Post up photos of your tin-tars!  These are the ones that look mostly like this:

Views: 6369

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, this is the kind of photo I was asking for, thanks. And your method appears much more sturdy as compared to just attaching the cookie tin to the neck with a few wood screws. [By the way, Chinese immigration wouldn't let me out of the country yesterday because I accidentally overstayed my visa by one day. I was there one month ago, May 22nd and my plane tickets were for June 22nd and it didn't click that there were actually 31 days between the two dates. I need to get into the mindset that a "30 day Visa" means "2 weeks Visa" so that I have a lot of "slop time" to get around to exit to Hong Kong so I can return again for another 30 day -- I mean 14 day -- stay. Today I have to go to the Immigration Police Station downtown to pay a fine. They were closed yesterday when I discovered this problem, so they will likely charge me for 2 days overstay in spite of the fact that the station was closed at the time the problem was discovered. Enough to make me wonder why I put up with living here. Must be because of my wife, daughter and her family. My flight has been rescheduled for tonight and I'm returning to the States for a little R&R form the extremely hot summer weather in China. So, anyway, I've used some of this time to read/reply to CBN, e-mail and the like.]
Diane in Chicago said:
Here's the innards, i put those little feet on either end and screw them to the bottom of the tin. I just use scraps, but others cut feet like that as part of the neck.

Rand Moore said:
Diane, Mark: Those are some nice looking tin-tars! How are you bracing the necks to the cookie tins? It would be nice to have a few internal bracing / neck-to-cookie tin photos as well, if that's not asking to much.

here is my biscuit tin ukulele.
Hey Patrick, there is a foot on your head, just incase you didnt know. ;)
Yeah I know that's my trademark. I have a handful of instruments floating around with a foot on them. My company is bigfoot guitar co. and by company I mean I sell guitars to help pay for grad school. So far I have good reviews on the foot!

Tracy Kennedy said:
Hey Patrick, there is a foot on your head, just incase you didnt know. ;)
Here's a couple of my "Dulcijos" ( dulcimer fretted cans that look like a banjo;-) .. No match for Diane's though... That paint really set those off... I went for the rustic look :-) A three stringer and a four stringer

Robert: Oh, I love the cake can you used for your instrument pictured above and below. My grandma used to send us fruit cakes when I was a kid canned in this exact can. I wonder where I can find / buy one? I guess I'll have to search E-Bay. Such nostalgia! -Rand.
Cogdell boy (Robert J.) said:

That fourth tuner location is pretty cool. Nicely done.
Cogdell boy (Robert J.) said:
Here's a couple of my "Dulcijos" ( dulcimer fretted cans that look like a banjo;-) .. No match for Diane's though... That paint really set those off... I went for the rustic look :-) A three stringer and a four stringer

Hey guys just built my first tin 3 stringer.

The box was a very simple thin steel square tin, that contained the kit a to play a murder mystery game. It was £1GBP from a local charity/thrift store.

I used a hardwood pickaxe handle for £2.50GBP from a car boot sale for the neck, but it is planed less than perfectly, so it plays a bit odd in places (something I will work on later). The nut is a piece of M6 threaded rod, and the bridge a piece of pork rib bone.

Electrics are a single 27mm piezo a switch and a jack, and as the tin is conductive, the switch and jack have a 11mm centre bore rubber plumbing washer either side to isolate them from the body.

As it is fretless it doesn't play very well fingered. With a slide and a pick it plays well. Has a sound a cross between a Dobro and a Banjo.

When electrified, it sounds metallic but meaty. Probably need a better amp to do it justice.
Does anyone make soundholes in their metal body instruments?
Excellent tin! No sound holes for me on metal builds.

Carl Robson said:
Hey guys just built my first tin 3 stringer.

The box was a very simple thin steel square tin, that contained the kit a to play a murder mystery game. It was £1GBP from a local charity/thrift store.

I used a hardwood pickaxe handle for £2.50GBP from a car boot sale for the neck, but it is planed less than perfectly, so it plays a bit odd in places (something I will work on later). The nut is a piece of M6 threaded rod, and the bridge a piece of pork rib bone.

Electrics are a single 27mm piezo a switch and a jack, and as the tin is conductive, the switch and jack have a 11mm centre bore rubber plumbing washer either side to isolate them from the body.

As it is fretless it doesn't play very well fingered. With a slide and a pick it plays well. Has a sound a cross between a Dobro and a Banjo.

When electrified, it sounds metallic but meaty. Probably need a better amp to do it justice.
Does anyone make soundholes in their metal body instruments?
Diane in Chicago said:
Excellent tin! No sound holes for me on metal builds.

Yeah figured. Sounds a little quiet accoustically, but that could equally be the fretless nature.
I have found the source of a larger heavier "Victoria Biscuits" tin in my local ALDI for £5GBP, nice and deep so more guitar like.
Hi
these look like a lot of fun i have some old sweetie tins knocking about think i will give this a go, i might be asking a lot of silly questions lol
Neil
Hi All.

Here's a website with some really innovative cookie tin guitars: http://www.cyberferal.com/UncleBob/. Check it out. I like the headless design, the home made tuners and the frets made from a continuous piece of wire wrapped around the neck. I'm going back there now...

-Rand.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

The Cookie Tin Variety: a community image bank

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Keith Zorn Dec 27, 2022. 37 Replies

Canjo Tablatures

Started by Adam Jellison. Last reply by Adam Jellison Jan 8, 2020. 6 Replies

Can Cutting

Started by Mike Whisenhunt. Last reply by Glenn Watt Nov 22, 2019. 9 Replies

The Gas/Kerosene/Oil Can variety: a community image bank

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by James Conder Nov 5, 2018. 7 Replies

How to adjust Intonation???

Started by JL. Last reply by Wichita Sam Mar 10, 2017. 9 Replies

1st Electric Canjo Build

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by TN Twang Aug 19, 2016. 4 Replies

Reds Wicked Apple canjo

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by TN Twang Aug 14, 2016. 8 Replies

Chromatic fretting.

Started by Graham Alibone. Last reply by Graham Alibone Sep 15, 2015. 6 Replies

Gunpowder Jug Resonator

Started by David Harris. Last reply by Greg Thompson Nov 27, 2014. 1 Reply

Can Jo for Children

Started by David Bowes. Last reply by David Bowes Sep 29, 2014. 11 Replies

Strings: Materials, Techniques, Sound, Etc.

Started by Dustan Eichler. Last reply by TN Twang Jun 13, 2014. 23 Replies

Circular hole tuner design

Started by Philip Daniel. Last reply by Rand Moore Apr 4, 2014. 10 Replies

cookie tin banjo (tinjo)

Started by Hillbilly Hobo. Last reply by Rand Moore Apr 4, 2014. 1 Reply

mag pup

Started by jabes. Last reply by jabes Mar 25, 2014. 2 Replies

Overthinking a simple cookie tin ?

Started by Piht Bull (Delta Dawg Guitars). Last reply by PKB Jan 31, 2014. 7 Replies

brass canjo/cbg

Started by Mario Poggio. Last reply by Mario Poggio Nov 28, 2013. 7 Replies

Can Orientation

Started by Alan "Poor Boy" Ackerson. Last reply by Alan "Poor Boy" Ackerson Oct 20, 2013. 6 Replies

Scale length and bridge

Started by Battmann. Last reply by Thomas "Duck" Petry Jul 23, 2013. 5 Replies

Attaching the Can

Started by Jim burt. Last reply by Russ Dugger Dec 13, 2012. 9 Replies

Loudness Versus Scale Length

Started by Randal. Last reply by Randal Oct 27, 2012. 9 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
2 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->