Hi all,

I'm getting ready to start my first build & am finding out what tools I need to acquire before I start.

I've read various articles and tutorials recommending surform or spokeshave tools for shaping the neck profile - which would you recommend?

Cheers :)

Anna

Views: 1601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A spokeshave that is properly set-up & sharpened will do a fine job to remove most of the material. A rasp or coarse file will finish up nicely, preparing you to move to sanding. Be mindful of the direction of the wood grain...always shave with the grain, never against. And go slow. It's easier to remove than to put back the shavings.

Hand tools are awesome if you are good with them and like that sort of work. Personally, I use a band saw for shaping the neck and finish with the sander. A bench top model works great and takes up little space in the shop. Good luck!!

I have neither, so I use my trusty rasps and files. After rough shaping it's time for sanding.

I recently picked up a wood rasp from Home Depot for about $8.00. It is a very nice tool with course teach on one side and more fine on the other. Don't know how long it will stay sharp, but it is very easy to use and accurately remove material. For the price, it's worth a try even if only on a test board.

Thanks guys- I really appreciate your advice! Can't wait to get started!

A good spokeshave can be expensive. It can last for centuries but must be sharpened and adjusted. (Someday I hope to own one or even two.)

Most of us use cheaper hand tools--at least that's been my observation. Lowe's sells an 8 or 9" rasp with fine and coarse grits and one curved side and one flat side. You can make quick work by flipping the 4 different surfaces to suit the situation. I've also got a little 4" Stanley surform that's handy for creating a lot of sawdust in a hurry.

PS Always sand after carving with whatever tool. Sanding will smooth the surface in ways that tools can't. Hardcore purists claim that carving after sanding dulls your tool on the grit residue in the wood. I can't prove this since all of my tools are dull to begin with.

I use a spokeshave, and the shaping of the neck is hands down the most pleasurable aspect of building a CBG. It has an almost Zen-like quality to it. After that, all that's left to do is to sand the neck and you're left with an amazing sense of fulfilment.

I used surform I have a round and flat they work well on mahogany, I'll get a spokeshave when I find a good one. What ever gets the job done right and fast.

Vinyl has it...   Something satisfying about the curly shavings rolling off the spokeshave.

I have use both the surform and spokeshave . The spokeshave works will as long as you go with the grain, my finger spokeshave works great for finishing the profile of the neck. The surform is like a beaver eating wood...lol, that's one tool all builders should have in their tool collection. I prefer the surform block style myself, a bit easier to control and can be used with one hand. The long round surform file works great for doing the neck - peghead flare outs.

I was a bit nervous about profiling a neck myself before but it sounds like it isn't that difficult afterall - thanks guys!

I would try your technique on a scrap piece of wood first, so you don't destroy one of your good pieces.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
44 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
45 minutes ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
3 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
4 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
11 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->