I just built a 21 inch SL Octave Mandolin (GDAE, 1 octave below a Mandolin) and I found the string sizes on blogs.  I ended up using the strings from a set of Fender 150XL/012. .053E string tuned up G;  .042D D; .024G up to A; and .012E E.  DAE are good, but the G vibrates and flaps around like a happy dogs tail.  So the question is....Do I go up from the .053 string size, maybe to .058 or down to maybe .048?

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try this page from Ry Cooder. The string gauges shown are for 23" scale, but they are close to yours, and give a good source of info.
http://rycooder.nl/pages/tenor_gauges.htm

Thanks Scott, I'll try the .042 for the G string.

I tried the .042 as a G, but it put too much tension on the neck and loosened the other strings, so I put on a .048 and that did the trick, so I now have 12-24-42-48 for EADG.  Thanks!  I'll post a video....someday.

I have a solid ody electric tenor that I strung and tuned to GDAE. I used a set of electric D'Addario EXL110-10-46's, using the .013, .017, .026, .036 strings. Tension is very comfortable.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Discussion: Toothpick Frets?

Started by Habanera Hal in Feature Articles. Last reply by Dave Lynas 1 hour ago. 18 Replies

Upright Ubass

Started by Titch the Clown in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Greg Potts Jun 20. 1 Reply

New here

Started by Clarence johnson in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Road Rash Roy Jun 18. 13 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. left a comment for Joseph
"Welcome, check out the Resources tab for build info and join some groups located in the Posts tab?…"
16 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Dave Lynas's video
17 minutes ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Jon Cartmill
"Welcome, check out the Resources tab for build info and join some groups located in the Posts tab?…"
24 minutes ago
Angelo Mikro liked Angelo Mikro's profile
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas replied to Habanera Hal's discussion Discussion: Toothpick Frets?
"I’ve found many hardwood possibilities for fretting. Cherry, Boxwood, native Plum, coke…"
1 hour ago
Graham Wedepohl posted a discussion

Fret calculations

I made a spreadsheet to calculate frets offline.FeaturesUp to 24 fretsunlimited scale length in…See More
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas liked Habanera Hal's discussion Discussion: Toothpick Frets?
1 hour ago
Profile IconJon Cartmill, Joseph and Jesse joined Cigar Box Nation
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

DIY Kazoo Kit from Black Owl Guitars

For the next episode of Kazoo Fridays... I decided to build one of the DIY Kazoo kits from Black Owl Guitars. This is a really cool idea and I'm very pleased...
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Happy Together: 2-String License Plate Chugger (Not a Cigar Box Guitar)

"Glad you enjoy the videos Kale. I enjoy making them. Have taken the last two weeks off as family…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Happy Together: 2-String License Plate Chugger (Not a Cigar Box Guitar)

"Good observation Rope; the faces don’t match the lyrics! Must be the Bb bringing them down.…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
3 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->