Does string action matter on a slide guitar?  My personal preference is high action--1/8" at the nut and 1/4" at the bridge.  I did make one CBG that had low action, but I found it difficult to play.  Since then I've gone with high action on my slide CBG's 

Views: 1473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Guys who are better players than me might give better advice,but if you're playing strictly slide,height doesn't matter,but a lower action will help in fingering,and also improve your slide technique

I played with one guitar player who raised the strings of his Less Paul just to make his slide playing easier. But not by much. On a fretted guitar you have to find the fine line between string hight and playing in tune. Rase the strings to much and you'll bend them out of tune as you play the frets. 

If all your doing is slide then raise those things up as much as you like. The more expressive you get the less chance your going to cluck the fingerboard. Those unforgiving piezos pick up ever cluck. 

when I started building and playing, I had high action so I could easily slide. But, I soon found that being able to finger a note or two every now and then was helpful. Unfortunately, with high action, fingering a note produced a noticeably sharp note.

I've since, gone to a medium action (something like 1/16" at the nut and maybe slightly more than 1/8" at the 12th fret). I don't get obsessive about action height. I just want notes to not go way sharp when I finger them.

I found that going to heavier strings (like the Gitty 042, .030, 022 set) provides plenty of tension so you can have low action and still easily use a slide.

I also found that a glass slide is generally easier to play with lower action than a brass slide (weight).

Finally, you will naturally use a lighter slide hand as you play more. I can play slide on my electric six-stringer with some focus and practice and it has light gauge strings. You touch improves with time.

Well said Tom T. I used a thin wall Clayton glass slide.

There's a huge misconception about "slide guitar" amongst a lot of people. High action is fine if you are going to play lap style, where fretted notes aren't part of the music, but in all other cases, theres a real advantage to having the action set only a little bit higher than a regular guitar. 

Learning slide guitar can be helped by a combination of slightly raised action (but raised by only 1mm at the nut and a a couple of mm at the 12th fret), and using strings heavy enough to resist the downwards pressure of the slide. The better you get, the lighter strings and lower action you can deal with.

Her's my take on setting the action on your guitar:

With a decently low action, whether on a fretted or fretless guitar means as well as slide you can play chords, partial chords, harmonies, bass figures, raked lead runs ascending and descending runs...it can extend your musical repertoire enormously.

Check out the great players..Hawaiian and Dobro players use high action, but so many other slide players will use a guitar with an action that isn't that much different to a regular guitar. If you watch a great slide player like Ry Cooder, you'll see that the slide work is often only 10 or 20% of what he's doing.

Here's Hollowbelly...watch him as he builds that opening riff using a combination of fretted and slide -  on a fretless guitar with fairly low action.

I just received my slide CBG. The action at the nut is 1/8", about 3/16" at the 12th fret. I'm only beginning to learning to play. Just fooling around with the CBG I find that the notes ring much louder and clearer if the string is pressed down to touch the fingerboard. However it seems what you guys are suggesting is a light touch. Are you saying just press down a bit on the strings with the slide but not enough to make contact with the fingerboard?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Shovel guitar and sizes

Started by Laurence Owen in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Laurence Owen 29 minutes ago. 5 Replies

Build #2

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Poorness Studios 6 hours ago. 3 Replies

PDF DOWNLOAD: How to Build a Hurdy Gurdy

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Philip Taylor on Thursday. 8 Replies

Pitch Pine

Started by Laurence Owen in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Laurence Owen on Thursday. 4 Replies

"Another' lid question.

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Sep 11. 10 Replies

Blog Posts

So...

Posted by Emer M. on September 16, 2019 at 11:59am 0 Comments

Mama Pearson's Soaporium

Posted by Rick Tish on September 14, 2019 at 8:52pm 0 Comments

Fresh Diddley Bow- "Why Not?"

Posted by Glenn Kaiser on September 13, 2019 at 10:23pm 1 Comment

Good weekend selling

Posted by Rick Tish on September 11, 2019 at 10:13pm 1 Comment

Cigar Box Guitar Music - Old time Blues

Posted by John on September 9, 2019 at 6:00pm 2 Comments

Latest Activity

James Pobog posted a discussion

Yeah, OK,...

...but does it go to 11?…See More
3 minutes ago
Clarky commented on Clarky's video
15 minutes ago
Laurence Owen replied to Laurence Owen's discussion Shovel guitar and sizes
28 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Clarky's video
31 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Eero Tapani Lehtinen's video
37 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Eero Tapani Lehtinen's video
Thumbnail

Ruusurasiakitarademo

"I love everything about this one Eero. Great in each mode. You play so well too. Thanks Eero."
37 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Downtown Vinnie's video
44 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Anthony Insetta's video
53 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Anthony Insetta's video
Thumbnail

Washburn parlor Circa 1889

"Wow Anthony. You have quite a collection. And you play them very well. Thanks very much."
53 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Summer’s End

"Thanks Brian. Autumn at the lake is the best time. No jet skies, loud neighbors, it’s very…"
1 hour ago
Rob Uker liked Rick Tish's photo
1 hour ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on High Bird Handcrafted Instuments's photo
Thumbnail

PSX_20190826_090248

"How cool is this!?!?  Looks like the "breathe" symbol works for both you and…"
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->