Is there such an event? If not, why not!

A few of us here on the nation have made contact and are talking about a local gathering. An event to show our boxes, talk about them on every level and all that relates. I've seen related to this going on around or near my area, if there is I'd like information please.

It wouldn't take much to get it started, however if it turned into something big, I'm sure there's enough talent to step up to the plate and organize an event near St. Louis, at a local Deli, club or coffee house needing a few hour of interesting excitement.

If you have ideas or interest, post them here and lets see what develops.

Views: 3039

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my opinion, anyplace that will have us without money out of pocket is a blessing. Second consideration is best environment to suit everybody's needs and reach the largest public. I personally want to network with other builders, play some tunes, sell my builds and maybe trade and make friends. Everybody has their own expectations and ideas so lets hear them. I need to know what you guys vision as a great festival so we can focus on it's development.

cool, I like the route 66 festival idea. It would be cool to get something at one of the blues bars near downtown, not sure if they would charge a large fee or not. Maybe even coincide it with something else going on?

Thanks colin,

I like the route 66 plan also. Still have a few others events and locations to review, then we'll do a review here for all to give feedback on and go from there. We'll try to make this work so all of us near the gateway can go have us a great time!

I know a place or two might be willing there's the Havana cigar room in Arnold also a guitar lesson studio in festus good open space has a stage think fowlers music
What time frame we talking in August there's the kc fest so I guess I better build a guitar I sold all my cbg for Christmas I can also get uncle John in on the conversation he well connected in the nation

Hello Mr.C,

We're researching sites and in the next few weeks we should have a time and place. We're hoping in June or July for weather to be more accommodating. Ideas for the fest are encouraged so this will be something we all can enjoy on all levels.

My advice....after 4 UK CBG fests and now planning our 5th. For a 1st event, keep your outgoings modest - use whatever connections you can make with an established and helpful venue. A venue that's happy to let you have the room for free on the expectation of having a goodly number of people to push beer over the bar to is good, better yet if they have their own house PA,  and again good if its an established music venue that will have a certain number of regulars that would be up for some new stuff.

Be realistic about numbers..if you assume the numbers attending will be low/modest and you end up packing the place, that's cool, but if you budget the other way round, it's stressful and you risk being out of pocket. Call on whatever favours you can for venue/gear and players, but treat people right. On my first one, I didn't promise any money to performers, it was all done on a favour, connections and goodwill...BUT I was able to pay the headliner a couple of hundred bucks ..and that's the way it built up, so now we pay decent money for good performers and cover their overnight accommodation...but it takes some building up, so you need to temper ambition with a good dose of reality checking.

When dealing with venues, experience really helps - having experience of running open mics etc, playing live music venues (and being paid for it) is very useful. If you haven't got that experience, then you need to get clued-up and if possible get someone onboard who has some experience and credibility. That way when you go to a venue, the name and experience draws more water and you've got a better chance of getting a good deal. It's not essential..but it's always good to be able to admit to yourself that you know enough to know that you don't know enough..if that makes sense!

That's is excellent feedback and what I'm looking for. Much of what you stated I'm already on top of, but you've brought several things to light I needed to hear. I've organized other events and understand how much planing and stress is involved. However, nothing like this. Also, knowing enough to know I don't know enough.. makes perfect sense! I'm leaning toward the idea of piggybacking our event with and existing event that provides PA, stage, hook up and other necessities. There are several options there to look into. Thanks  ChickenboneJohn, this was very much appreciated!  

Getting someone else to do the legwork in terms of "piggybacking" can be good, but don't automatically place 100% trust in their ability or drive to pull it off. If you go this route, make sure you know exactly what you are committing to and what your partner's obligations are supposed to be. Don't make assumptions, ask questions and keep on their case...you may be aware of this already, but just in case.  It's very easy to assume something and then bump into the situation of "what do you mean, there's no late bar" ...or..."you thought WE were supposed to provide the PA?"...

I am likely too far away to attend, but have interest.   It would be so cool to go to your fest and then on down to Memphis and NW Mississippi on the blues trail.

Iowa is up there a ways that's for sure. It would be nice if you could make it down. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

I can play a few songs well enuff Also have an electic washboard can do some cool stuff with it I have make a guitar real fast I have all the parts and clp half builds

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thanks AGP# Glad you liked  my version ! appreciated !"
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"You are very observant Andries! Some of the Slingers are more consistent than others and I…"
11 hours ago
David L. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
"Not sure how accurate the lyrics are (link to the lyrics site at the bottom) "Internet…"
11 hours ago
David L. liked David Hopkins's photo
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
12 hours ago
AGP # commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"A Different, but very Likeable take on a Classic Blues Song :-)"
13 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
13 hours ago
T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
18 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
19 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->