Curious to hear how yall shape your necks?  I usually use the bandsaw to get a rough shape, then smooth it out on the sander.  I would use hand tools, but have wrist problems.  Any router users out there (table or hand held router)?

Views: 1756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I mark a center line on the back and reference lines 1/8" from the fret board face. Then I use a stanley sureform rasp to rough it out. Watching the three lines lets you know if you are rasping out evenly. Then I scrape it with a scraper. Usually takes about 20 minutes. Typically I am using oak for a neck. Thinking of doing maple this summer. I did ine last summer and really liked the result.
I have disability problems that prevent me from using hand tools to shape the back of the neck. I thought about using a router but I am unsure
Which router bits to use to get a rounded shape on the neck Or to just take the corners off the neck.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

A router may be too heavy for your medical condition, so I'll suggest a routing table as well for the router.

For bits, depends on the design you desire. Rounded, squared or Henry the 4th type thing. Usually, the bits at the local hardware store, have an illustration of how the bits will cut onto the wood. That should give you an image of how your necks will end up. The rounded bits are shaped like a Hersey kisses.

Here are a couple of photos showing the bit I use and a finished neck 

I have used various methods:-

1. shaping entirely with a spokeshave.

2. Using a palm router and a 45-degree router bit to remove the bulk and then finish with a spokeshave, rasp and sandpaper.

3. I have used a 3/4 inch round over bit, on my next build, I will be trying a 1 inch round over.

See the link below for Chicken Bone Johns video on shaping necks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZp6ufvxDo

I tend to change depending on what material I'm using.

I often use my router, but I use it attached to a router table. I feel it's easier to handle like that.

If I use a laminated product like plywood, I will use a rasp (surform) as it's the only safe way to go.

For the rest, I usually rout first to remove the bulk of the material. If I'm happy with the shape, I just lightly sand down a bit. If not, I then move to the belt sander with 60 grit paper.

I sometimes use a spokeshave as it does do a great job but since I always use soft woods like spruce for my builds, the grain structure makes it harder to get good results with a plane or a spokeshave.

Usually rasps and sandpaper.  Surform to rough it out and a finer rasp then up through the grits.

A couple times I used a large peice of cherry half-round topped with a 1/4 inch fretboard and it worked really well.

Hi
If router bale is an option, i would use a large roundover bit, 3 inch wide. The bearing eould run along the finger board edge.
Using a table saw to rough cut axtra material befor the router table will be a good idea.
If some pictures to demonstare is needed, let me know

The first one I made 20 years ago was a "one off" and i carved the neck with a steak/paring knife.,.,in 2013 when I started building many I moved on to using a round over bit in a router.,.,3/8" bit for a month then I moved on to a 1/2" round over bit.,.,never tried the rasp method, bought a spoke shave but have not tried it either.,.,.,

all of the above :-)   However, the 9 inch Shinto Rasp will become your favorite tool...if you let it :-) 

hi, on my CBG 3-4 string necks I just use a round over bit in my router, as shown by others here. The router is jigged upside down in my bench vice. And then sandpaper, no carving or rasping. KISS principal.

However when doing acoustic or electric guitar necks I use tools selected from the photo here that work best with whatever timber the neck is made of.

Like Del said about the Shinto rasp, I don't know if mine is a Shinto but it is a Japanese hand cut rasp, sharp as.

Pencil

Saw

Chisel

Wood Rasp

I use this technique.

Pablo Requena Carving the neck on a classical guitar 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7gIHZryes

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

smilingdog1 commented on 3 String Blues's video
46 minutes ago
smilingdog1 liked 3 String Blues's video
47 minutes ago
smilingdog1 liked Glenn Kaiser's video
49 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 195th Zoom Mtg 03/25/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
18 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
18 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
19 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
20 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
20 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
22 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
22 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->