I want to make a cigar box guitar tuned to dgd, can a 25" scale length be tuned to dgd.

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's not a problem. Just pick strings that will give you workable tension at this tuning.

There is a great online program for calculating string tension athttps://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm

Just put in your scale length (25"), your desired tension (18~25 lbs?) and the note you want to tune to. The program will tell you what string diameter will work for you.

Good luck

Do you need to taper the neck on a short scale, say 20 to 23 inches?

i'm sorry, a six string short scale.......

Hi, the reason for the taper is to make the instrument easier to play. Strings are closer one end for fingering ease, and wider at the other end for better space for picking. 

Fingerstyle guitars often have a wider fingerboard and string spacing but still tapered.

if you feel comfortable playing with six strings with bridge end type spacing at the nut, go for it.

Taff

Pretty much any popular scale length will work? I’m guessing you’re probably using another guitar as a model? That’s usually the best pattern to follow, since you know the fret layout is correct? Here’s a link to a shorter 23” scale template if you’re feeling adventurous, it’s a good scale length for GDG tuning?

https://poormansguitar.com/template

Here’s an idea of as what gauge of strings for a 3 string GDG tuning work the best:

https://www.cbgitty.com/guitar-instrument-parts/strings/cigar-box-g...

cheers & good luck :) 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Featured Instrument Video

Forum

Etsy sales

Started by Angry Rooster Guitars in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Angry Rooster Guitars on Monday. 17 Replies

Latest Activity

Dave liked Bob "Ambrose" Negus's photo
2 minutes ago
BUGGY (C) posted a video

I'm a believer - Tribute to the Monkey's

A Sad day another one of The Monkeys leaves us - Bug's one man band chaos strikes again... a Bug tribute to them and the fun we had..
2 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Jim Morris's photo
Thumbnail

Batfink/Professor Vibrato Cello

"You’re a snow wimp Jim."
5 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Jim Morris's photo
6 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Jim Morris's photo
6 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Jim Morris's photo
Thumbnail

"Snowed in indeed. That’s not much snow Jim. Nice  Vibratto though."
7 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Daniel Walter's photo
Thumbnail

Dave Lions.......aka Lynas?

"Where? What tha? Now i’m Outed. I prefer the dark shadows of the Serengeti night."
8 minutes ago
Jim Morris commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Batfink Professor Vibrato Cello

"Thanks Dave. I got ants in the pants already for sure!"
9 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Snowpocalypsy

"Geez Vinnie. Now you’ve managed to crack the icebergs and tilt the flat Earth causing the…"
12 minutes ago
Jim Morris replied to Shane Speal shanespeal.com's discussion Build The BATFINK Cigar Box Cello - Our most insane DIY instrument plans ever!
"Alright guys, did this yesterday while we were snowed in. Posted a video of how it sounds. Still…"
13 minutes ago
Daniel Walter commented on Jim Morris's photo
Thumbnail

"very unique. nice !"
18 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Jim Morris's video
21 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->