DIY Instrument Contest: What Came Out of Santa's Workshop! $1000 in Prizes

SANTA HAS BEEN BUSY IN HIS WORKSHOP THIS YEAR... AND WE WANNA SEE WHAT HE (YOU) BUILT!!!  Win one of $1000 in prizes.  

Here's the video details:

PRIZES:

GRAND PRIZE:  $500 C. B. Gitty gift certificate!!!  Enough to stock your guitar shop...  Get the tools you need...  Go nuts!

FIVE RUNNERS UP:  $100 C. B. Gitty gift certificate each!!!

Winners chosen at random.  All skill levels encouraged to enter!  

We want to see photos of the instruments you made during the Holiday Season 2018...especially the stuff you made for others!  Let's have some fun with this and post photos all over the internet featuring cigar box guitars, homemade instruments and all the DIY music creativity that comes with them.

This serves as Cigar Box Nation's official submission page.  You can also enter this contest on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and at C. B. Gitty's customer gallery. See the official contest rules for details.  

Let's see what came out of Santa's workshop this year!  Post pics below with details on the build, who received it, etc.  

Contest runs Dec. 21-31, 2018.  Winner announced Jan. 4, 2018.

Views: 2646

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

French-50's-hubcap-winebox-guitar aka Arondo-Phonic:

This guitar was made for 2 ladies, who since childhood have always given their father a box of Quality Street Chocolates (A British Christmas classic). Their father is getting older and has now developed diabetes, so he can no longer eat chocolate. As he is a guitarist the two sisters asked me to make a guitar out of a Quality Street tin.

25 inch scale, Poplar neck, Sapele Fret boars , tunned D-F#-A-D

This is the cigar box guitar I built for my son. Images put on sound board are all of him and his push bikes. Made from boxing timber my band saw came in. Used same timber to make the box for it. This is the third guitar I have attempted. He loved it!

Hi, here's one just finished, it did not sell over Christmas but a cheaper model did.

It is built with a spring installation in mind, there is a removable panel in the back for access to the spring locating points. I have not found a spring that works as yet. Provision is available for up to 3 springs to be fitted.

On the bottom of the box can be seen the variable spring tensioner [through the spoon handle tailpiece] the knob [from an old Maton guitar] is the spring dampener control.

The whole box is pine neck is Tasmanian oak the fingerboard is hardwood. The top is very thin and responsive, which may do away with the need of a spring reverb system. This is due to the strings that are not being played vibrating sympathetically with the strings being plucked. This adds a fullness to the sound. Even plucking and stopping/muting the string will have the note still audible.

Any way here's my contribution.

Taff

Hi
This is my first Shovel Guitar, just finished with a heavy sound.
Hope tout will enjoy

This is my third build, finished just in time for some Christmas music!

Here's one for consideration.....

OK, so it's not for anyone but me, but this 6-string reso travel guitar started life as a scrap 12-string acoustic.

Having spent a long time in a friends (very damp) shed, I sat the body by a radiator for several months to dry out, before cutting sections out of the sides and back to re-use in the new project.  I really liked the appalling state of the original lacquer, and so brushed off all the loose stuff before applying a coat of varnish to seal it all in again.

New purflings and end blocks were added, followed by a braced 1/16" ply top.  The 7" resonator came from a UK supplier on Ebay. Ebay also provided the majority of the hardware - tuners, fret wire, on-board electrics, nut etc..

The neck is laminated around a double-action truss rod, and the majority of the shaping was taken care of by a small belt sander.  The trapeze tail-piece uses half of a door hinge, some 3mm threaded rod and a drilled wooden slab to accept the ball ends of the strings.

Sound-wise, it's what you'd expect - a bit on the jangly side!  It would be better tuned to an open chord and played with a slide, I guess, but I'm happy to thrash standard chords put of it as it is!

Tim

When is a dreadnought not a dreadnought?

When it's a Savart-Nought.

I named this trapezoidal, single-cone resonator after 18th century physicist Felix Savart. Ol' Felix was the inventor of (among other things) a flat-top, trapezoidal violin that was widely accepted by the snobby fiddle experts of his era. I was about halfway done building one, when I thought "Why not a trapezoidal resonator ala Savart?"

Here's the result ........

Scale:  25" scale • 15 frets to the body

Strings:  6 of ‘em

Body Size:  18” at base. 8” wide at heel. 3.75” deep

Total Instrument Length: Around 41"

Acoustic Gizmo: 9.5" resonator biscuit cone 

Cone Cover: 1961 Falcon hubcap coated with silver metallic Rustoleum artistically mangled with my $9 Harbor Freight angle grinder

Tail Piece: 24-gauge steel lopped into shape with my HF angle grinder and coated with the aforementioned Rustoleum.

Amplification: Internal Piezo Pickup with volume and tone controls. Inset into neck stick and encased with enough rubber cement to dampen any handling noise.

Neck: Maple . . . and steel reinforced

String Height at Zero Fret: 1mm

String Height at 12: 4mm 

Neck width at zero fret: 1 3/4"

Neck Width at body: 2 1/4"

SXM Banjonator
Perfect for CBGitty.com photos contest
Dog Bowl Body with Sint-Maarten Licence Plate
4 Strings / Fretless Square Neck
#CBG#DIYGuitar#CBGitty

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
4 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
4 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
6 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
8 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
8 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
9 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
10 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
14 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->