Not directly CBG question, but I thought someone would be able to help on another project. I am doing a restoration on a 1938 Harmony Serenader parlor guitar. One of those faux wood painted finishes with white painted bindings. The surface has some cracks, scratches, and places where the finish needs restoration. 95% of it is good, so I am not looking to sand it down to the wood and do a complete redo.

What kind of paint would have been used on these old painted Harmonys and Kays. And is there a clear coat I can apply after restoring to preserve the entire finish?

Thanks!

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would think that any refinishing on it would decrease it's value. If the value isn't a factor, then you could sand it down and put a veneer on it or paint it with whatever you want.

A google search for a Harmony guitar collectors group/forum may be of more help in this. Stewmac.com would most likely have any materials and equipment you need.

William,

Start your research here:

http://harmony.demont.net/faq.php

It's not so much refinishing, but preserving the finish already on it. The paint is chipped and cracked in a few places, and I want to make sure the majority of it lasts from here as best i can.

Here is what she looks like after I did some work to straighten out a very warped top and broken bracing.

Beautiful little parlor rig. My thought on further efforts is,..don't. I enjoy a fine restored git (I know that isn't what you want to do), but a nice patina is priceless to me. You seem like a thoughtful and diligent owner, but I have seen some beautiful old gits (and guns) devalued by well-meaning owners who want to "clean a little and preserve". My .02.

Well, OK, my coupla pennies:

It's a Harmony. They were cheap guitars back in the day. The only reason people are collecting them now is that they are still relatively cheap compared to the guitars people really wanna collect. Who can afford a 56-57 Fender Strat, for example? It's simple economics.

Aside from that, when fixed / set up properly, these can be sweet-sounding (and in this case, -looking) tools for creating old timey music. Sure, mend a broken rib or strut. Oil a rusted tuner. Give it a quick polish.

But, re the paint chips, scuffs and scratches: leave 'em be, sez I. They're earned, like grey hairs. Or fading tattoos.

And just remember: Willie Nelson's Spanish guitar has a gaping great hole in it from wear. He has said repeatedly that there isn't another guitar that sounds like it, and he'd never fix it.

You have restored the voice to this box by fixing the broken bracing, allowing that gorgeous top to flex properly. Wipe it down with some good furniture polish, put on some new strings, and call it Done.

And that's what I have done. I am hoping that a few coats of guitar polish will protect and preserve the finish.

Sure, polish will protect it some. My fear was that you might suddenly get the urge to spray 10 coats of polyurethane on it or something ;-). Question: now that it's strung up, how does it sound? Could you post a quick vid?

When I get a free moment, I certainly will upload a quick video. The only place I would like to touch up is the painted white binding on the back from where I separated it from the body to fix the bracing. Any idea what kind of paint was used back then? Acrylic? Enamel? 

Would have almost certainly been a lacquer. In other words, an oil-based or mineral spirit-based finish. Acrylic wasn't available for commercial use until the '50's.

I've done plenty of of Stellas and Harmonys - just leave the paint as it is. Overspraying will make it look and feel wrong. The only thing I ever do if there are some really unsightly scrapes or knocks, particularly on the painted-on "bindings"  is to touch these up, but otherwise I leave the finish alone. It doesn't need "restoration", its an old guitar. That reminds me of a client I had,who was restoring an old farmhouse in France and had problems with damp. The French builder (mind you, in France they afford craftsmen rather more respect, and he was addressed as "Monsieur le maçon". When asked what to do, he simply shrugged his shoulders and said "Madame, the house is over 200 years old, of course it's damp!".

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
2 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
4 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
4 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
4 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
4 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
6 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
8 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
13 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
13 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
13 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->