Need some advise. Getting ready to start my third build and considering using Redwood for the neck with a Rosewood fretboard. This will be a three string. Does anyone know of possible problems with the Redwood neck?

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Eric, I cant speak from personal experience of actually using it, so see what others say who may have.

As it is considered a soft wood, and recommended as an alternative to Western Red Cedar, I myself would be wary, but like I said I don't know. I always prefer hardwoods for necks. But Redwood is listed as stable and strong so a suitably dimensioned piece with a rosewood fingerboard and only three strings is worth a try. If the grain is on the quarter all the better.

If it was me I would screw or bolt the neck on so I could swap it if not happy later.

Taff                                    

I've seen a few guitar builds over on the TDPRI Guitar Forum using Redwood, but it was mostly used on the bodies. I would do a big google search on it and read through the builds first. 

It's a real nice looking wood. If it's soft, then a trussrod will probably be a must have item. I think Maple and Oak make better and more stable necks. I've been using Red Oak for necks and fretboards for quite awhile with great results. Most of my 6 string guitars have Maple necks and I love them.

I’ve used redwood on one stringers,but wouldn’t use it on a 3 stringer without a hardwood fretboard.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to.give the Redwood a shot. The reason I want to use the Redwood is because I am spending the winter in Northern California right in the middle on the Redwoods. I was given rough sawn 2 " x 6" piece. My plan is to make a one piece neck which I will leave a little thicker than I normally would. I'll get you posted on how it goes. Build begins today.

Another thought is to laminate the neck, by alternating grain directions? 

Use it for body’s only as it will bow even with a hardwood fretboard. At least mine did and only a 3 string in openD

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Hendrix

Started by Lennox Gavin in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker on Sunday. 3 Replies

Problem CGB

Started by Thomas Rasmussen in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Thomas Rasmussen Mar 14. 18 Replies

Nylon Strings

Started by Mark Rinehart in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by the anonymous pick Mar 13. 1 Reply

South Africa

Started by Marius in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by the anonymous pick Mar 12. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

the anonymous pick commented on Uncle John's photo
2 minutes ago
Ross liked Iain T.S.'s photo
6 minutes ago
Joe Caruso posted blog posts
6 minutes ago
BeetleJuice! commented on Ricky D's photo
Thumbnail

La Grange FuZZy CBG

"This is so wonderful!!!!!!"
6 minutes ago
BeetleJuice! commented on Ricky D's photo
Thumbnail

FuZZy CBG

"I love this!!!"
6 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's video
7 minutes ago
Ross posted photos
10 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus commented on Bob "Ambrose" Negus's photo
Thumbnail

TBG Silverliner

"Thanks Jerry, much appreciated."
33 minutes ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Chris Lyons's photo
Thumbnail

Woody top

"Wow Chris.,.,one of the coolest Strats ever.,.,neat neat neat.,."
35 minutes ago
Kentucky Mojo commented on Kentucky Mojo's video
Thumbnail

Sound Check CBU pick up install

"@Derek Rose Thanks, those are just standard nylon uke strings I have on there too! Of course, the…"
37 minutes ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Bob "Ambrose" Negus's photo
Thumbnail

TBG Silverliner

"Snazzy and very cool.,.,"
38 minutes ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear's photo
Thumbnail

Wiring test 6

"Did you get her to work.,.,? interested in your results.,.,,."
40 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->