I was doing some home repairs, and was staring at an 1-1/4 piece of PVC and thought WHY NOT??

34" Scale, Bass String, Bass Tuner, Angled headstock Electric Diddly Bow...

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I built one & the sound wavered through the pipe like a didgeridoo, does yours do that?

I don't have that problem.  The one end with the tuner has a block in it,and the pickup takes up almost all the space at the other end...

I think the wood block remedies that? I flattened my headstock, but didn’t think to angle it, great idea? What are you gonna do for a body? There’s a PVC Bass build video in the Resources tab, he had the same results I did with the wavering sound? Seeing yours makes me want to revisit this, thanx for sharing John, any chance of a sample?

I need to dig out my bass amp, it's buried...  give me a week or so.  Body?   what do you need a body for?  :-)

I made one awhile back for the Plumbers Challenge build. 27" scale 3 string Baritone. I used a heavy E string through the back inside as a trussrod and I made the pickup out of the motor coils of a old hand drill. The pickup works, but it doesn't work great.I thought it work like a tubulum or didgeridoo, but not so in mine. Maybe because of the string trussrod. IDK

tubulums have huge pipes to get the low notes... I bet yours just resonates at a much higher frequency...

The pickup isn't strong enough for it and I'll probably change it out some time down the road.

Sometimes you can add a disc magnet to the pickup... It will alter the tone, but can have a dramatic effect on signal strength.

I did that. I added several ceramic disc types, then I added a couple ceramic bar types that I had from pickup mods I did and then added the disc mags on top of those.

The bigger wire coils just don't have the same effect as the smaller wire coils.

The strings on this git pass through the center of the coils like some of the old lap steel gits. So I'm thinking of getting a set of the PBass pickups like Gitty sells and mount one under/one above.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Question about parallel piezo setup.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 2 hours ago. 7 Replies

Volume/Tone Pots

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat yesterday. 4 Replies

CONTEST CANCELLED: We Need Your Photos!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Alex Fong on Friday. 2 Replies

Mods to CBG kit

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog on Wednesday. 4 Replies

s/s lm386 draw amp,

Started by GARAGE HERMIT in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Wednesday. 8 Replies

Latest Activity

Derek Rose commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Pawn Shop Christmas Commercial

"hehe! Hey Unc, I accidently left a can of Vienna sausages in my pants pocket in the dryer and now…"
47 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked Uncle John's video
54 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Glenn Kaiser's blog post New Diddley and Song for CBN Christmas Project too :)
55 minutes ago
BrianQ. commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MontecristoDiddley

"Way kool, Glenn"
56 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked AGP #'s video
1 hour ago
Derek Rose commented on AGP #'s video
Thumbnail

"Rollin' 'n' Tumblin' Blues"

"Lots of beefy tone from that slab Alan. Nice smooth and accurate sliding."
1 hour ago
BrianQ. commented on cbgkent's video
Thumbnail

How to remove unwanted stickers easily

"Informative, good to see you, been a bit :D"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Sunday Morning Duke

"The Duke commands attention!"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Dave Lynas's photo
1 hour ago
Derek Rose commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Into The Mystic on CBG

"Excellent cover Poorness. One of my favorites by Van. I do this one too, on a 3 in DAd and on a std…"
1 hour ago
Derek Rose liked Poorness Studios's video
1 hour ago
3 String Guitars posted photos
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->