Getting near a decision point.

Rocky Patel 12-year black/maroon/gold box, 25.5" scale, 3 string with birch ply/mahogany neck. Pup is single coil surface mount.

Trying to decide on wiring. In general, what do most people use, straight to jack, vol only, or vol/tone? I am not a great player, and have a Line 6 Pod 2.0 next to my comfy chair.

Views: 112

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Strat style pickup, P90, or?  

On my P90 guitars I rarely use the tone, so I plan to go with a 250-300K volume pot only.

CBG type (see attached)

Attachments:

Single coil- 250K/300K pots  Humbucker- 500K pots  use .022uF/.033uF/.047uF for Tone capacitor- bigger value warmer sound?

https://www.cbgitty.com/guitar-instrument-parts/electronics/electro...

So is the use of controls on CBG about 50/50?

If you don’t mind not having control over your volume & tone, then go straight to the output jack. But if you want to get the most tonal response out of your pickups, then Volume & Tone pots are a must, they fine tune the sound without having to change your amp settings? 

On my full size geets I almost never use them, but that's because I am such a low-level player. On the onter hand, one of my Life Rules is 'better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it'.

On my dual P90 guitars, I change tone by switching between the three pickup combinations.  Riding the volume knob is a great skill, though.  Can go from clean to edge of distortion with a touch of the pinkie.

I did volume and tone pots with a humbucker.  I only play it with the tone rolled all the way off.  Too trebly otherwise.  I am a bass guitar player, so that factors into it (I'm not much on screaming/biting treble).  It would have been simpler to just do a volume pot with a fixed resistor/capacitor for tone.  Not a big deal, I suppose. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

2021 Throwback Holiday Build-Off Contest!

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Scott Henriksen 27 minutes ago. 32 Replies

Squaring the neck

Started by Fantacone Box Works in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Nov 19. 16 Replies

Completed Builds

Started by ThePracticalPeasant in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Derek Waters Nov 5. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

To Reach the Chord

Posted by Rich on November 12, 2021 at 10:20am 0 Comments

Seasonal build contest?

Posted by smilingdog1 on October 29, 2021 at 9:20am 9 Comments

Leonard Cohen Life

Posted by Keith Rearick on October 7, 2021 at 11:18am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

Bob "Ambrose" Negus commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Surf n’ Turf CBG: Holiday Update

"Neat how you've incorporated the design."
6 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
9 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Surf n’ Turf CBG: Holiday Update

"Cool design on the pickguard Doug.  Do I detect some 3D printing on the saddle and tuner…"
10 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
12 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus liked Gary O'slide's video
23 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Gary O'Slide Lost dog

"Melancholy and melodic."
23 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus liked Road Rash Roy's video
26 minutes ago
Scott Henriksen replied to Cigar Box Nation's discussion 2021 Throwback Holiday Build-Off Contest!
27 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus liked A.D.EKER's video
36 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Flat on the Floor C .Underwood - A. D. Eker 2021

"Nice one Andries!  Cool tune!  When you hit the ground, you won't fall any…"
36 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus liked Uncle John's video
43 minutes ago
Bob "Ambrose" Negus commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Slow Country Dance -cover of a Mary Chapin Carpenter song

"Lovely tune Unc J! Neat chord switch too! (your secret's safe with everyone who's…"
43 minutes ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->