So this is just a question on what capacitor does the best job controlling a piezo rod?

While I'm at it what do you find to be the best saddle material for piezo rods.

I have tried many different combos and wanted to hear your ideas on this.

One thing about root instruments I really like, is the minimalist approach.

here is one of my builds with a .022 orange drop and bone saddle.

If you have not tried this its the least expensive way to get a good sounding electric guitar, the rod alone sounds good but have a harsh high end. Depending on it's value of the cap. lets you tailor the overall tone.

My reason for this post is I found a odd cap. that really shines with my scratch build amps .

What Says You! 

Views: 1437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So the answer to the question is what ever cap. sounds best to you!

I'm fairly sure Muddy just grab his Tele and played and his side job was chemical engineering.

Thanks JL very helpful. the one I need to try is a .015

Wayfinder   A+ you are a scholar and a Gentlemen. 

I liken this post too throwing a fish to a bunch of Pelicans

reading a cap codes

Third digit

Multiplier (this times the

first two digits gives you

the value in Pico-Farads)

0 1

1 10

2 100

3 1,000

4 10,000

5 100,000

6 not used

7 not used

8 .01

9 .1

So the "104K" device means 10+4 zeroes (in pF), so 100,000pF, which is the

same as 100nF or 0.1uF.

Similarly a capacitor marked 103 means a 10,000pF capacitor, or 0.01 uF.

Letter symbol Tolerance of capacitor

D +/- 0.5 pF

F +/- 1%

G +/- 2%

H +/- 3%

J +/- 5%

K +/- 10%

M +/- 20%

P +100% ,-0%

Z +80%, -20%

So my 683G cap. is a .068 with a Tolerance +/- 2% 

the best my ears have found.

Mmmmm. Kinda. Almost.

What the pot does is leach the voltages, not the sound. The effect of dumping certain voltages leads to certain frequencies being shunted, which changes yer tone.

Tone and volume pots are all "pass" filters, allowing only some voltages to go through.

Try thinking of a circuit like a hose. Crank the valve up at one end, lotsa water splashes out the other end. Now, take a bight of the hose, and start to kink it. What happens? Things gradually slow to a trickle. Your literal volume goes down.

Or think of it like a prism. You shine white light through the prism, it splits into different colors (which are nothing more than vibrational frequencies). You can filter those colors so that only blue, or yellow, or red, either gets blocked, or goes through. Tone. Make sense?

Oily you sound like my 9th grade power mechanics teacher Mr. Betancourt describing Volts, amps and ohms. Freshman year Flashback....................

I have learned that Piezo have very high impedance so they either can't dance or get it up , but in combo with a mag pickup you have a very versatile guitar.

That's because I had to take engineering physics as a pre-med, and because my gadget-crazed father was an engineer. I still speak-a de langwidj ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3G-KAmbVM

Way, this video is about 30 minutes, but will likely give you the meat and potatoes (hehe) of what you're after.

Oh, sure, just give him the answers!

Yeah, I know. But I couldn't watch the suffering any longer ; )

think of a volume pot this way

A crowd of people are on the top floor of a high rise building and told to evacuate, so they go down the stairs.

if you put on your superman cape and fly up and save someone who just went down 1-2 floors they will still have  a lot of strength left.

if you save someone who has gone down 45 floors, almost to the ground level exit they will be exhausted and weak.

in a volume pot, the pup signal enters on lug 1 (top floor), runs through the long resister around the circumference, (down the stairs) and exits on lug 3 connected to ground (ground floor exit).  lug 2 is superman, picking off people, either near the top where they are strong (volume up) or near the bottom where they are weak and worn out (volume down).

The cap in a tone control is a slide that lets you zip all the way to the ground floor bypassing the stairs and any chance for superman to pick you up. small slides (small caps) only let very skinny people (very high frequency) through, medium and fat people (mid range and bass notes) cant fit and have to go down the stairs.  depending on the size of the slide as to just how skinny a person has to be to get on and zip to the ground. 

Hmmm. Electrician's diet...

Can it be Supergirl in the story Please!

Did anyone bring up the fender deal with a cap. going from the supergirl lug to the top floor lug of the volume pot?

absolutely, I'm a fan of the new TV series in fact!

no, a programmer, translating concepts into other metaphors (user interface design) is part of the necessary skills base.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->