Can someone help me with a diagram or good description on how to place a rod piezio pickup under the bone?  Does the bone go directly on the pickup or is the pickup in a channel under the saddle?

Also  how does one wire an 1/8 inch plug onto the 1/4 inch jack?  is there a simple wiring diagram available anywhere?

Thanks,

Steve

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When i do my rod bridges, i cut a slot that goes all the way through the bridge base, it`s the same width as the rod about 1/8". The rod sits down in the slot, the bone saddle sits on top of the rod. The rods work from pressure on them from the strings on the saddle. Then i add a piece of veneer to the bottom of the bridge base and drill a small hole for the rod wire to go through. I cut off the 1/8" plug on the wire, fish the hot wire [ plastic coated ] out of the braided wire [ ground ] and solder them up to a regular input jack. Tip ; if you need to cut the rod shorter, cut it on the side, not down from the top. Also test it to make sure it`s working properly before you install it in the bridge base. I do this by having the rod wire set up for soldering, have a jig with 2 alligator clips soldered on a input jack. Clip the wires on the jig and plug the rod in, tap on the rod to see if it`s working correctly. If you look at the pic`s on my page you can see some of the other custom rod bridges i`ve made.

Randy S. Bretz, when you said "cut on the side, not the top". Are there markings like on a diode or physical characteristic such as a flat spot on a 'LED'? I've never seen one up close, but plan on using them. Also what is the shortest usable length without killing performance?

Kool dog, there’s an article on cutting rod piezos in the cigarboxguitar.com archives? If you scroll down towards the bottom of this page, there’s a link box to the archives? Cheers  :)

Thanks.

Sweet!  Thanks.

Steve

just to build on what Randy said I have found that the closer you get the rod to the strings the better the volume. Especially if you are not using a preamp. So I build some of my bridges with a spacer under rod to bring the rod up a little closer(bone or other bridge material is a bit shorter to bring it closer ) to the string

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->