After a 6 month break I though I'd get back to my 3 strang-ger and made some progress the last few days. It'll be unique fer sure.

It has a removable neck, pie pan resonator and real spring reverberation. The bridge is a round disc of cherry placed into a metal PVC glue top with a solid brass screw saddle and nut. The top is 3/16" luan plywood inlaid into walnut sides. The neck is maple with walnut fingerboard and heel cap. A buffalo nickel and a indian head penny are inlaid into the head and fingerboard. I'll probably add maple dowel fret makers on the fingerboard and side dots.  For frets I'm using galvie fence wire that I'll be filing a "V" on the bottom and supergluing in place. NOT conventional I know but I've never been. I still need to figure out a way to have a hand rest somehow. I'm kinda letting the thing build itself.

I stayed pretty close to the original drawing. I'd like to find a eagle, hawk or owl feather to attach to a lanyard on the head.

Nobody could say that I stole ideas on this one.

SOME PHOTOS:

SOUND SAMPLES:

"To ear is human...good tone, devine".
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000602@N04/show/

Views: 6188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'd put a strat pup up to the spring, screw piezos..

put one on the strings as well and a blend knob..

piezos would be cool to EXCITE the spring tho, if you had a preamp in there..

I used springs a couple of times in my frame under the body guitars. I made 2 or 3 like that with the neckpart going around the box instead of trough and mounted the springs in between the neckparts where the neck trough is supposed to be.Actualy gave it a kind of overdriven reverby sound to it. http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/the-3-string-fuente-cigarebox#

The first part acoustic you can realy hear the spring adding to the sound. It does work. Think that this reso idea will be even better

Great job on your CBG and really nice sound/playing.

I tried to get more done today on mine but it's too dern hot in the shop to work-96 degrees. I got tired of sweating. I did start shaping the neck though and made the re-inforcing ring for up under the top to recieve the screw for the pie pan.

got alot done on it this weekend...Still need to tweak some, add the springs, come up with a better tailpiece and do the electronics...
Attachments:
more pics...
Attachments:
and another...
Attachments:
side dot markers...
Attachments:

That is one very nice looking build, very well finished look to the whole thing as the closer up the photos the better it looks, great job.

Cheers Ron.

All I need to do now is the wired-up. Almost there.

That is sweet.
That looks very interesting. I am looking forward to hear how she sounds acoustically. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy, Keni lee 

Thanks alot everyone for the positive responses on this build. I'm still tweakin' a little here and there and I'll submit a clip soon. It's our 10 anniversary this weekend and I'm going to be busy for the next week or so but I'll record some soon. I'm going to try using solid brass tubing from a pop-up assembly in a vanity sink as the bisquit base tonight to see what it does. I'm also going to attach small springs from the pie pan bottom to the reverb springs to excite them more as they are secured by the outer sides of the pan where the vibration is minimal. It's fun to experiment because there are no set rules. BTW...the guitar as a whole plays and sound great but I'm going to make it sound better brefore I record anything with it.

Thanks again for the interest guys.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thanks AGP# Glad you liked  my version ! appreciated !"
46 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"You are very observant Andries! Some of the Slingers are more consistent than others and I…"
1 hour ago
David L. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
"Not sure how accurate the lyrics are (link to the lyrics site at the bottom) "Internet…"
1 hour ago
David L. liked David Hopkins's photo
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"A Different, but very Likeable take on a Classic Blues Song :-)"
3 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
8 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
10 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->