PICS & VIDEO: Build This Simple Shovel Handle 4-String Cigar Box Guitar

This cigar box guitar article was originally posted at PoorMansGuitar.com, Shane Speal's blog of all things musical, simple and cool...

Here's a simple cigar box guitar design I came up with using a shovel handle from Lowes. It's presented here in 'builder's diary' form, giving you an overview of the setup.  I encourage you to improve on this design and post your findings in the comments below!   

First, a quick demo video before we get started.

Parts used:

There's really not much to this guitar.  I cut the shovel handle long enough to give me a 25" scale, with an extra 4" on each side for headstock and butt.  I used a Forstner bit to cut a circular hole in the side of the box and fed the stick through it.  The 12 Bar Blues pickup was top mounted without any routing needed and a hole was cut into the side for the jack.  I didn't do any grounding.  BTW, this pickup is similar to C. B. Gitty's Wickedbuckers and Elmar's ThinPups.

On the butt side, I put a drywall screw to hold the stick in place.  The drywall screw was then hidden by the trapeze tailpiece.  

The most unusual part of this guitar is the headstock.   As seen in the video above, I simply flattened out the sides of the headstock with my belt sander and drilled for the tuners. Having the tuners on the sides of the neck allows for some great string pull behind the nut (aka bolt). 

Here's another view of the headstock.  I did put one little tuner screw beside the second string in order to keep it from moving around.  Also, to keep the bolt in place as the nut, I used my Dremel to channel a groove so it would sit flat on the stick:

This tuner layout results in an unusual setup when trying to tune the guitar, with the lower tuning keys being positioned on the right side of the headstock.  It's a little weird (and I keep reaching for the wrong tuner), but you eventually get used to it.

One other detail - I scratched fret markers on the side of the neck:

That's pretty much it.  Shove a stick through a box, string it up and wail away.  Don't overthink this.  

For those who are curious about the guitar slide in the video, it's a Turquoise Guitar Slide from StubbySlide.com. 

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The old style mop handles, would work great for this too. I have three sitting in my shed, that are 2 inch in diameter. But have another idea, of splitting them in half, then adding a fret board on top. Just need to find someone with a good band saw, to cut them for me.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Break angle for bridge

Started by Fantacone Box Works in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by the anonymous pick 21 minutes ago. 19 Replies

Slide off decals

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 7 hours ago. 2 Replies

Frets and fretboard

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion on Sunday. 0 Replies

Fret Sides Dressing

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Fantacone Box Works on Sunday. 6 Replies

Navigating this forum

Started by Fantacone Box Works in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Fantacone Box Works on Sunday. 5 Replies

30.5" scale lay-out help needed please!

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Jul 6. 15 Replies

Free Cigar Box Tablature Library

Started by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Brad Schoonmaker Jul 4. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

What wood is this?

Posted by Sean Murphy on July 16, 2019 at 10:48am 2 Comments

apology

Posted by Danny Gordon on July 13, 2019 at 7:30pm 3 Comments

Latest build

Posted by Sean Murphy on July 5, 2019 at 8:34am 5 Comments

Latest Activity

Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Uncle John's video
9 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Gone Gone Gone

"Another great rendition UJ. I don't know the song, but your stamp's all over it. …"
9 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on cbgkent's video
Thumbnail

Juice box preamp

"Good video. I did this Shane Speal trick too with a defunct & gutted 60's Radio.…"
20 minutes ago
John Welsh liked cbgkent's video
21 minutes ago
the anonymous pick replied to Fantacone Box Works's discussion Break angle for bridge
"cool .. not to mention .. a lil  magic marker / ink pens/  paint /  wood burners…"
21 minutes ago
Fantacone Box Works replied to Fantacone Box Works's discussion Break angle for bridge
"Neck has slight built in offset. I drop the rear 1/8" or a little more. Looks like the bridge…"
27 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Clarky's video
Thumbnail

Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Cigar Box Guitar Cover

"Super cover yet again Clarky, nice to see you back too, well, some of you lol :D"
28 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Clarky's video
31 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Uncle John's photo
41 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Smokin' Guitars's photo
42 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Smokin' Guitars's photo
42 minutes ago
Taffy Evans replied to Fantacone Box Works's discussion Break angle for bridge
"Not again....yep this may be useful........while waiting for a glue up to dry I tried my Perspex…"
48 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->