I think one of the most useful things we can do to help newcomers and novice builders (actually I wouldn't mind seeing it too) get started is to routinely post at least the following info with our pictures:

1. Scale Length: Example - 25"
2. String weights or strings you used from a standard set: Example - 1,2,4,5 from a standard acoustic guitar set
3. Tuning: Example - GDAD (low to high)

Other details are clearly a bonus, but I think this would go a long way.

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great idea. I see many interesting photos and wish this info was included. I'm a newbie and need all the info I can get.
Scale length doesn't seem all that important to me. That's the cool thing about scale. You can scale it up or down. As long as you can use a metric rule and a fret calculator, you can make the scale length anything you want. As far as strings and tuning; why aren't you experimenting with all sorts of different stuff? You want to explore the instrument, really get to know every inch of what it can do. Hell, you built the thing. Why would you only stick to a few standard strings and then try to find an accepted tuning? You want to know what the best tuning is on a CBG? Close your eyes and pluck one of the strings. Turn that string's tuner until it sounds good. Now repeat with the other strings. Now explore the neck and find out what you're able to do with what you just created.

For a newbie, the single most important thing you should be looking into are techniques to control the action of your strings. I wish someone would have told me about this when I got started. This was something I learned over time but whenever you have a serious guitarist pick up a guitar for the first time to play, the thing they focus on the most is the feel of the instrument in their hands. A guitarist (a real guitarist) fights a constant battle with string action. Too low and you buzz out on your frets. Too high and all your notes pull sharp when you fret the string. Especially when you build a guitar with an acoustic bridge, there are several hours involved of carefully adjusting the saddle to find that perfect sweet spot.

This doesn't matter so much if you're just building the guitar for yourself but if you plan on selling a guitar or two in order to finance your hobby, you need to devote some serious time to perfecting this aspect of your guitar. It sounds harsh but it's true: if the guitar doesn't feel right in the player's hands, it will be instantly discarded without a second thought. I don't mean the guys who live around the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets. I mean the guys who can play Hendrix as easy as breathing. They are a picky bunch.

Your chief measurement is at the 12th fret. The absolute maximum string height you should allow on a guitar neck at the 12th fret is 1/8". On a cigar box guitar neck you should allow just a little more as there is no truss rod and no way to adjust things should the neck "settle back" as everything cures up over the final stages of the build process. So on an untrussed CBG neck I'd say 3/16" is your maximum height at the 12th but only if your fretboard is wavy enough to make you seasick.

Josh
Yes, i agree that i would like to a lot more information about the creations that are posted. Those technical details would be a great start. I would like to know what the tunings are for the videos too.
Cool I would suggest something like:

Box details such as age and country of origin, build date, scale length, woods and materials and special features eg reso (as I curently am obsessed with resos)

Brian Lemin said:
Yes, i agree that i would like to a lot more information about the creations that are posted. Those technical details would be a great start. I would like to know what the tunings are for the videos too.
It would be nice to have info and I'd really encourage it but, some people are just not very talkative and that's okay also. No rules. Sure don't want to discourage anyone from posting a picture.
I agree, the photos are a great source of inspiration, and tech info would sure be nice to have, but anything goes is the only rule for CBGs! Bruce

Paul Doug said:
It would be nice to have info and I'd really encourage it but, some people are just not very talkative and that's okay also. No rules. Sure don't want to discourage anyone from posting a picture.
Plus, all that info will be available in the chat/forum. Takes long enough to look at 10,000 pics w/o having to read too! Bruce

Bluesheart said:
I agree, the photos are a great source of inspiration, and tech info would sure be nice to have, but anything goes is the only rule for CBGs! Bruce

Paul Doug said:
It would be nice to have info and I'd really encourage it but, some people are just not very talkative and that's okay also. No rules. Sure don't want to discourage anyone from posting a picture.
I think a full detail documented step by step of all materials used so new people dont have to look in the archive where everything is already. Not to be blunt about it, but there are two Yahoo groups with a half dozen years of archived CBG chat with information just for the looking.
Josh, You bring up some great points. Experimenting is part of the fun; if you look at my instruments you will see some variety in scale lengths and tunings. I have learned that scale lengths, string weights, and tunings all work together in making an instrument that has decent intonation and playability. I do like to learn from others and thought a simple caption with a few key design details included with posted pictures would inspire experimentation much like the pictures do. Doug

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Scale length doesn't seem all that important to me. That's the cool thing about scale. You can scale it up or down. As long as you can use a metric rule and a fret calculator, you can make the scale length anything you want. As far as strings and tuning; why aren't you experimenting with all sorts of different stuff? You want to explore the instrument, really get to know every inch of what it can do. Hell, you built the thing. Why would you only stick to a few standard strings and then try to find an accepted tuning? You want to know what the best tuning is on a CBG? Close your eyes and pluck one of the strings. Turn that string's tuner until it sounds good. Now repeat with the other strings. Now explore the neck and find out what you're able to do with what you just created.

For a newbie, the single most important thing you should be looking into are techniques to control the action of your strings. I wish someone would have told me about this when I got started. This was something I learned over time but whenever you have a serious guitarist pick up a guitar for the first time to play, the thing they focus on the most is the feel of the instrument in their hands. A guitarist (a real guitarist) fights a constant battle with string action. Too low and you buzz out on your frets. Too high and all your notes pull sharp when you fret the string. Especially when you build a guitar with an acoustic bridge, there are several hours involved of carefully adjusting the saddle to find that perfect sweet spot.

This doesn't matter so much if you're just building the guitar for yourself but if you plan on selling a guitar or two in order to finance your hobby, you need to devote some serious time to perfecting this aspect of your guitar. It sounds harsh but it's true: if the guitar doesn't feel right in the player's hands, it will be instantly discarded without a second thought. I don't mean the guys who live around the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets. I mean the guys who can play Hendrix as easy as breathing. They are a picky bunch.

Your chief measurement is at the 12th fret. The absolute maximum string height you should allow on a guitar neck at the 12th fret is 1/8". On a cigar box guitar neck you should allow just a little more as there is no truss rod and no way to adjust things should the neck "settle back" as everything cures up over the final stages of the build process. So on an untrussed CBG neck I'd say 3/16" is your maximum height at the 12th but only if your fretboard is wavy enough to make you seasick.

Josh
Brian, I agree on videos tunings would be extremely helpful. Doug

Brian Lemin said:
Yes, i agree that i would like to a lot more information about the creations that are posted. Those technical details would be a great start. I would like to know what the tunings are for the videos too.
Paul,

I agree, some people aren't talkative; I don't want to discourage posting pictures. However, I wouldn't exactly call the following photo caption talkative: 25" scale length, GDAD tuning (low to high), strings 1,2,4,5 acoustic set

Doug

Paul Doug said:
It would be nice to have info and I'd really encourage it but, some people are just not very talkative and that's okay also. No rules. Sure don't want to discourage anyone from posting a picture.
Gene

Thanks for understanding the spirit of the suggestion. Moving from no info on pics to some info on pics. I just suggested a few details that I often want to know but can't be determined by looking at the picture.

Doug

Gene said:
Iam guilty of no info on my pics, but if any of u guys or gals need any info on any of my builds please fill free to ask ,ill start posting info with them

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor


Recommended Links & Resources


Forum

Cigar Box Amp Mods

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by RTZGUITARS Sep 17. 14 Replies

Blog Posts

Prototyping with a big ol' wine box

Posted by Ben on September 23, 2021 at 4:00pm 0 Comments

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Bookie's Poor Man's Dobro

Posted by Steve Bookout on July 18, 2021 at 2:04pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's video
5 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Blessed Be Your Name: 3-String (G1G2D3) Cigar Box Guitar

"Great song!   Blessed be His name.  "
6 minutes ago
Kirk Whitham commented on Kirk Whitham's photo
Thumbnail

Dewdrop-Twin-Humbuckers

"That's one cool tele. I think I prefer the volume mixing to a switch."
44 minutes ago
Buggsy replied to Michael Glenn's discussion Chord charts for 3 string open tuning in the group How to Play a Cigar Box Guitar
53 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
54 minutes ago
Buggsy liked Michael Glenn's discussion Chord charts for 3 string open tuning
55 minutes ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Kirk Whitham's photo
1 hour ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Kirk Whitham's photo
Thumbnail

Dewdrop-Twin-Humbuckers

"Awhile ago a friend surprised/gifted me w. a Tele-type partscaster. LOVE it. Two pups, master vol.…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Blessed Be Your Name: 3-String (G1G2D3) Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 74th Zoom Mtg Sep 20, 2021. More info and free songbooks: https://sites.google.com/site/cigarboxguitarslingersspokane/home
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

How to Play Mellow Yellow on 3-string Cigar Box Guitar

This tutorial was requested by a couple of viewers. I explain how I performed Mellow Yellow, the classic 60's hit from Donovan, on the Hobo Fiddle. This tuto...
1 hour ago
Tom T replied to Luke Jalbert's discussion Building a Cigar Box guitar with no musical parts
"There seem to be plenty of good suggestions for your team's project. Slightly off target might…"
2 hours ago
Randy S. Bretz commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench...Black Locust fretless #2

"I can hear the sustain from using the Black Locust which is a really dense wood, compared to other…"
3 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->