OK, so a day of frigging around with different stuff has lead me to a passive tone control for piezo.

Some background: If you ever tried a normal guitar volume and tone setup on a passive piezo, you'll know the tone control doesn't work as it should. If anything, it acts more as a high pass filter than a low pass. This is because piezos have massive impedance compared to magnetic pickups.

I usually use an active preamp circuit based on the Tillman design and that means I can put normal volume and tone controls after the preamp and they work as they should. But I've had a couple of commissions recently from people who will rarely plug into an amp anyway, so that brought me back to the search for a passive tone control that will work for a piezo. It's seems a bit silly to put a really good preamp in a gat that will rarely get plugged in.

I tried a bunch of stuff I had read about with RCL filters but none of it worked, really, despite what some dude claimed. I suspect that, as usual, the very high impedance makes the RCL filters unworkable.

That left a more traditional approach with some modifications to make it piezo-friendly. Thanks to Charlie Hall for pointing me in the right direction yonks ago. I finally got around to trying out his suggestions. Apart from the tone cap value, he was pretty much right.

Piezo red lead > 100k resistor > usual volume and tone pot wiring as per this basic setup BUT

1) vol pot is 1M log (I tried a 2M pot but it didn't make any difference)

2) tone pot is 1M log

3) the tone capacitor is .0022uf (code 222), i.e. 1/10th of what you'd normally use on a tone cap.

4) you'll need a treble bypass cap across the input and output of your  volume pot or you'll lose heaps of treble as you turn the volume down. Use a .0022uf (same as what you used as a tone cap).

All grounds (including the piezo black lead) go to the back of the volume pot and you run a ground from there to the output jack ground.

You will notice a loss of about 3dB output level, but you can plug into an external preamp or booster or eq pedal or whatever to up your level and get your impedance matched for an amp if you want.

This is still inferior to an active setup but if you want proper tone control and don't want to build a preamp circuit and put a 9v in your gat, you now have a way to do it.

NB: I tested this on a disc piezo. I think rod piezos have a different impedance again, though still massive, so I can't vouch for how it will work on a rod. You might have to use a larger resistor (220k or more).

Let me know how it worked out for you.

cheers

Blind Gee

Views: 18076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Probably start a new thread for this. I build my own on the Tillman design with a couple of extra bits to increase the tolerance for FET variation.

Getting a proper soldering iron with variable temperature solved  a lot of my soldering problems.

Bakon 936

so, any news about all of this witchcraft you made here?

I a complete ignorant and does not understand half of wht you wrote here, but a DIAGRAM (hint) could really help.

If anyone of you is still here or you all went to work in high-tech electronics and left the cbg....

Hi Matan,

The wiring diagram is linked in the original post. Just the stock standard vol pot and tone pot.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD1H11_00/Guitar-Wiring-Di...

A few peeps have reported success with it.

the changes described in the post are not in the linked diagram...please diagram the wiring???

Glenn the MAN!

now noobs and ignorants like me can cast your blues spells!

is the third tag on the tone pot supposed to be grounded?  i dont see how it is supposed to work as this picture shows.

For a tone pot you only use the center and one of the outside lugs. used like this its a variable resister. 

on a volume pot, you run the signal from one outside lug to the other connected to ground, and the middle one selectively siphons off some of the signal on its way to ground.

my bad. after looking at the pick for the 12th time i finally realised that the second lead of the cap goes to the case of the tone pot and therfore ground.  for some reason i saw it as across thefirst two legs of the pot hence my confusion as to how it would work...

Thank you for all the work and info, very helpful. Looking forward to trying this.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
10 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
10 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
11 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
11 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
11 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
13 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
14 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
19 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
20 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->