On two guitars I recently built they are a little bit out of tune at the 12th fret. When I tune the bottom string to open G and then play it at the 12th fret it comes out sharp. I’m hoping that’s something that I can adjust to make it right.I tried to be real careful when I measured the scale length and Frets and set everything up. So I’m not sure what the deal is but if you have any thoughts on what it might be or how to fix it I’d love to hear.

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your bridge isn't glued down move it until it comes into tune. Usually the bridge is angled just a bit, towards the bottom of the guitar.

Like Keith said. If you have a movable bridge try this.

If it's sharp you need to move it forward and make the string shorter

If it's flat do move it back to make the string longer.

Every time you move the bridge retune your string and try again. 

You can do this to adjust the intonation of both your first and third string. The middle string is at their mercy. You can check out vids on how to adjust the intonation on a straight bridged acoustic guitar. That's a whole new monster to do. 

Hi BR, I think you may have a typo there??

Taff

Yep. I get em backwards. 

If it's sharp you have to move the bridge back and make the strings longer

if it's flat you have to move the bridge forward to make the strings shorter.

No wonder it takes me forever to intonate my guitars....: )

Listen to Taffy and Rat before you listen to me (being a noob), but I ran across that on my last build too. I ended up slanting the bridge/bolt, mine had to go about 45*, with the low string being longest, but damn if I didn't nail it on all 3, at least close enough for gov't work...

Hi Jon, this must be one of the most popular queries.

As BR suggests moving the bridge back from your initial scale length position [compensation] allows for the different string thickness and height.

Just for you to file away, here are some recommended distances back from the true scale length,[compensation], subject to string gauge and height at the 12 fret:

1st 1.49mm

2nd 2.80mm

3rd 1.03mm

4th 1.85mm

5th 3.11mm

6th 4.79 

Pictured here are a couple of ways I use to get my guitars intonated. One moves the whole bridge back, the other plots the position where I would compensate each string by filing the saddle.

The Allen key version is positioned so that the short ends are under the strings. I then position each one for good intonation on each string. I can draw a line from the first sting to the last string, so I have my saddle angle, and see where the middle string are best placed. Taff

Thank you, Taffy. You just confirmed my skill set as 'hack'.

Hey James, sorry about that, but that's a bit harsh mate.

I remember being a 'hack' possibly 60 years ago, and I can remember the first instruments I had possibly wrecked, or at least devalued through inexperience. But that does not last forever if one is willing to take chances, seek information,  listen and learn.

I have the first notes of the first instruments I worked on, and I say to myself "did I do that"?

Taff

I really am flying by the seat of my pants most of the time. A lack of tools also comes into play. I really want a jointer and a thickness planer. Just a week ago I told a volunteer on the ship about cbg's, and yesterday he shows up with pix of his first build. Still in progress, but he's even making the box. Out of Walnut. With mortise/tenon corners. I'm so far away from that...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Cigar Box Amp Mods

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Steve Allen Sep 10. 13 Replies

Blog Posts

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Bookie's Poor Man's Dobro

Posted by Steve Bookout on July 18, 2021 at 2:04pm 3 Comments

Get your groove on for free

Posted by François on July 13, 2021 at 3:05pm 1 Comment

Soon to be free to play more

Posted by Danny Gordon on June 14, 2021 at 1:06pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Cigar Box Blues commented on Gary O'slide's video
1 hour ago
Jerry Jordan replied to Uncle John's discussion Dave Lynas needs prayer and good thoughts and wishes
1 hour ago
Jerry Jordan commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

AF box

"This is the kind of guit I like to build and play,. You did a great job.! Nice striping on the FB"
1 hour ago
Glenn Kaiser replied to Uncle John's discussion Dave Lynas needs prayer and good thoughts and wishes
"Thx Uncle John. Continuing to pray for Dave and his wife and family. -Glenn"
6 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Rob Uker's photo
Thumbnail

Campground Ukes

"I can see why Rob! Your ukes are cool!"
9 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

AF box

"Arturo Fuente boxes are pretty much the perfect size for a CBG! I agree with Uncle John. Though…"
9 hours ago
Uncle John commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

AF box

"I can only give you Cs on this one. Clean, Classy and Classic. Excellent."
10 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Mark E. Martinsen's photo
Thumbnail

20210903_150826

"Cool pics and guitars!"
10 hours ago
Uncle John replied to Uncle John's discussion Dave Lynas needs prayer and good thoughts and wishes
"Dave Lynas's home town (Duluth) friend, Tony, was kind enough to tell me that Dave's…"
10 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Korrigan's video
Thumbnail

Justine, the tenor guitar, GDAD

"Great choice of a song to cover Korrigan! One of my favorite songs. Outstanding arrangement, guitar…"
11 hours ago
GARAGE HERMIT liked Doug Thorsvik's video
11 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->