With the frost knocking at the door the orange neck reso is about ready to sing the blues, don't forget the purple fret markers, Riley, my daughter,  is already laying claim to this one. It was a little more work and lots to learn doing it. I was a hair off cutting the fret board, might have to add something in their, a under the strings piezo bar would cover up the oops. I have not mounted the piezo yet so I cam play around with it to get the right sound, so the wires are not secured. I also might have to put in a lid reinforcement.
 Anyways waiting for the candy fueled munchinkins to go to La La land, so I thought I would put up a few photos.( the box is not bent, it is just the camera lens)
 If something looks not right please point it out as this is my first reso and was a sort of make it up as you go type of plan.

Cheers Ron.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice reso, great job. What did you use for purple fret markers? Great job.
Looks sweet! bet it I'll sound sweet too!....Mike
Dianna, picked up a pack of purple fender fake mother of pearl guitar picks.
I glued up some of the insides last night and itching to get strings on. I will post some final photos. Michael, thanks for the kind words. Ron.
Hey Ron not to put my nose where it doesn't belong. I had issues using steel strings with that cover plate and no tail piece on one of my builds. The tension started to pull the top off of the box. I had two solutions, first bought a tail piece from Stew-Mac. ( I have also made them ) the other thing is if the top is thick enough I have used larger screws 1/2" #4 that have held.

Very nice looking build by the way... I have built a number of reso's this year, they are always a bit of a challenge but worth it in the end. Take care..... Jim
Jim:
Thanks for the insight, this is something I was wondering about myself. I have reinforced the box but not the lid so far. I did buy screws long enough to fit if I had to add something under the lid. BUT I like your idea better because it would be easier, it is getting a little tight inside the box and I would be chasing after it not knowing how much reinforcement is enough.
So I like your idea better, tailpiece it and it will be done. I have not made one yet but I have a few orphan hinges that could stem into the void.
Nice looking build Jim, the tailpiece goes well with thw brass corners. I also see you have some sound holes, another thing I have not thought of and should see if I can add some, I don't know if they would do anything if they were placed on top of the 2 holes in the neck frame as thye would not really be conected to the reso anyways. Has anybody cut a hole in the back of the box where the cone is, course that might not really help much either. The 2 little triangles beside the cone looks about the best bet.
Thanks for the insight. Cheers Ron.
This is coming along very nicely. A reso is my next project.
I am getting close, I will post some photos when it all comes together, Thanks Michael.
Cheers Ron.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser posted photos
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Da Do Ron Ron: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Glad to put a smile on your face BrianQ! This one is a fun one to sing and play."
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

"Another great oldie I thought I’d never hear on cbg!! :)"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 198th Zoom Mtg 04/15/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
5 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"www.cbguitars.ch auf FB This Bichsel"
yesterday
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"Hallo, ich bin aus Solothurn. Lisa Stearns hat mich gefragt ob ich Dich kenne. Ich baue cbg. Gruss…"
yesterday
Matthias Bichsel liked Moritz Voegeli's profile
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for John Herrick
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for Daniel Cook
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for Skip Novakovich
yesterday
T-Gripped liked David Woodman 's photo
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->