some may agree and some wont but who cares.

it has been said that there are no rules when it comes to playing the CBG.

even knot lenny has said so.

the ph/kid said that's bullshit. well it is if your playing in a group etc or with other musicians .

my view of no rules is this if you just playing for your own amusement ,then this to me no rules apply.

whether playing with a slid or finger's.

string tuning in my book if you haven't got a tuner  is to tune the strings so that it sound sweet to you after all your the one who'll be listening to it.

a lot of the problem(and I'm no expert) is with beginners over think things and get lost in all the rigmarole of things in translation or what ever you call it.

did the poor generations who came up with this idea of CBG's knew any thing about cords?? I don't thinks so.if it sound nice and clear that was good enough for them and so it should be for us.

the whole idea of Cbg's is to have fun.so twang away folks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Views: 726

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They both had what ever it takes to teach music theory at a collage level. They both had years of choir training. And sang like it too. Rigged as cement. Their music was the same. Perhaps it was more due to their complete lack of creativity. Their music was bad. DJs playing was like tossing a T-bone into a tar pit. No matter what he did the stuff baking him up was excruciating to listen to. He did what was in the contract and ran. Ran like every guitar player they tried to hire. 

My comment was , in a nutshell, knowing more means doing more. Doesn't matter how the knowledge is obtained. The story is about two people who used their knowledge like a cement truck. All that knowledge was used to make some really bad music. Never knocked theory. Unlike Chickenbone John's story, these people could teach theory at a collage level. But still had no clue what they were doing. 

No Rules not really But for Me Things like playability and intonation Have to Be spot on as I like to used all of neck and want to be in key Many things effect this string gauge, strings wound correctly, string height nut and saddle angle well worth the time to learn if you want it to play and sound good.

Oh, there's rules:

1. Experience is something you don't get until after you need it. 

2. There's a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Some other life rules that may be somewhat off topic, but valid nonetheless:  

Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same night.  Never lick a steak knife.  Never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut.  It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.  If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.  Never play cards with a man who wears a visor.  

When it comes to music and instruments, there are rules.

Some rules can be bent. Some can be bent further than others. But out of tune will always be: OUT OF TUNE.

One person's "out of  tune" is another person's musical interval. In the Turkish Makam....a whole tone is divided into 9 "commas". I can't even imagine trying to distinguish the different intervals. In that system,  the western "equal temperament" semitone doesn't fit...it's of tune to them. In the Arab Maqam, there's 24 divisons of an octave. Complicated stuff, and even in what we think of as the conventional modern western system of tuning and scales, it hasn't always been like that. The concepts of "just intonation" and a whole load of other subtly different temperament ideas have been jostling for acceptance over the years.

Mr. Chickenbone ; You are once again very informative on the music theory ! I don't understand the almost algebraic minutiae of it all but I get the gist of it !                                  Mr Craig: In my childhood there was all these new wave type bands like Skids and the Banshees & UK Decay -  They were mega out of tune and a little later I realised it was their Flanger pedals making them sound that way ... on purpose! Later still I discovered Mr.Hendrix and a ton of his bootlegs that by contrast proved that between songs he was way out of tune but his constant bending of notes while playing made him sound in tune !

Hahahaha I knew that would get some response.

agrees... and increases your divisions to 43

Tune? Then there's this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRUm_CoW-I

Now there are some unspoken rules here. Like No nude videos. We what to hear you. But we don't need to know that much about you. : )

Interesting, those machines must cost a fortune.

But I think Jimi Hendrix was exploring much the same thing 5 decades ago with a much cheaper/simpler and more expressive instrument. AND his music had rhythm!

But to each there own I guess...

It took a while but I guess keyboards are catching up with guitars.

Hey Clark, IMHO Jimi was inside the music itself ! He had Rhythm, Melody, Harmony , dissonance.. He had soul ... He was the music ! ! People sometimes say about his Marshall stacks and effects , but there are recordings of him playing acoustic 12 string and unplugged Strats too . I often wonder what he would have sounded like with a CBG or a Diddley Bow - Probably like himself. I read once that he mused about the idea of what it would have sounded like if the slaves in the cotton fields were given electric guitars. .....

Sorry a bit off topic folks . Blame Mr.Rowden for mentioning Jimi ;-) 

Rules?  Where we're going we don't need rules!

Over the years we've seen playable instruments made out of more things than you can imagine.  In the strictest sense, when Shane coined the term 'NO RULES' around 2003 he meant that anyone could make an instrument and play it - it doesn't have to be bought off the wall at Guitar Center and everyone can create music.  

We exposed a way for anyone to create an instrument.  And to play it without knowing anything about playing.  There are vids here where you can hand a 3 string CBG & slide to someone who never touched an instrument and in 5 minutes they play something that resembles music (Knotlenny's Ultimate first CBG lesson).

We also exposed a cool hobby that can consume people, change people.  This obsession sure keeps a lot of folks off the street!  Like Lays potato chips, nobody can build just one.  Each build is based on what you want to do different from the last one (learn from a mistake, try a great new idea).  Plus each build has its own songs inside to discover.  Build another one, learn new building skills and find new music inside to express...

The magic of the CBG is that many folks with no prior experience with tools or music are now neck deep into a creative release by building and playing.  Some people build many a month, others take months to finish one.  Some figure their music out alone in a bedroom and others tour the world playing a CBG.

When building a Strat or Les Paul there are a million rules.  Plus Unions and OSHA.

As mentioned numerous times above, RULES here are kinda just 2 categories:  

A) When building a fretted instrument

2) When playing with other people

Anything else is open to anything you can create with a stick that supports wires tensioned to produce a melodic tone when plucked...

(cool quote Ted)

The majority of folks here appreciate that by themselves they can create an instrument and create music.  Most have no aspirations of being a rock star, but dig that they can plink out something that is their music on an instrument they created.

That's what 'No Rules" is about - creative expression and fk the rules, just have fun expressing yourself...

NO RULES!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
2 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
4 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
6 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
7 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
8 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->