Check this out and say what you think about it.www.kickstarter.com/projects/boazinstruments/boaz-one-one-modular-g...

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mojo sold separately.

I like the smell of horses.  I like the way they lay their ears back when they're annoyed.  They have personality.  They inspire you to ride 'em, or write a song about 'em or just give 'em a carrot.

I'd rather ride a sway-back nag and never win a race than to ride a robot in the Kentucky Derby.

I know what you mean.

I have metal reso guitars and they work great(have wood necks and some wood in body). I made a guitar out of PVC. It works, but the tone is a bit sterile. There are quality plastic materials to make a guitar out of and it's been done many times in the past, but they lack that wood tone I'm used to hearing so that doesn't appeal to me at all.

The ability to quick change the pickups and body shapes can be appealing for a artist's needs for performing and the onboard preamp with speaker is a nice touch for time with family or friends(whether they like it or not). The bridge mechanism was interesting.

But for me, No Wood - No Good. A guy on the net made some quick change pieces out of wood for a tonewood test with good change result, so it's possible to use the wood. Besides, we don't need more plastic to end up in the trash later.

I'm with you. Just more junk to go wrong!

Somebody makes one of these modular guitars about every few years since the later 60’s & they’re still not catching on?

My big question is "WHY"? Would you want or need too? In real life what meaningful purpose does it serve? Anyone that I have known over the years that play, have a small collection of guitars that they will kill you over(at least cave your head in) because there's something about the tone, feel of playing, make model serial # etc. These things are just "Stuff"! Guitar Hero gaming dust collection system. 5-10 yrs down the road garage sale items. IMO

Agree.

It's a solution for a non-existing problem.

Wow! I hadn't seen this. It looks like a pretty amazing design... espeically for that price. I'm not sure how much mojo they'll have ;-) but the design is certainly well thought out. That said, I'm not sure guitar players will love it as 90% of a guitar is about aesthetics and feel (to most players anyway). Still, I have to admire the engineering.

I really admire the switch-ability engineering. If they would only work that out with wood, I'd be all over it.

I have seen a few similar ideas. This is the first one I saw 

More recently I saw a demo video by Justin Johnson

https://youtu.be/QHgAPjI-b0w

I have watched this on 3 different devices and to my ears the different pickups all sound the same.  I would be interested in other opinions (maybe it is my tone deaf ears?)

This design keeps the appearance of a normal guitar.

https://youtu.be/9P7HTyxZPqI

..and another variation

https://youtu.be/M_fqLR0dRTw

From the various sound clips I have listened to the widest tonal variation comes from the addition of a piezo.  Much cheaper than any of the above :0)

I was interested in building a box guitar in which I could try different pickups (a personal interest is trying to get as many tones as possible from one guitar)

As usual life tends to get in the way but so far

Still much to do wiring, volume, tone and piezos and varnishing.  Longest time was spent on how to keep the plywood squares in place.  I was going to use magnets but then found these mini clips on eBay.

That's a cool way of doing a quick change. You can use "bullet connectors" for quick change electronics.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
15 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
15 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
16 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
17 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
17 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
19 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
19 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
22 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->