Hello everyone my name is Corey and I have no experience with instruments. I love creating things by hand. Seeing what you all create not to mention hearing is amazing to me. I have been working on a kit build from gitty and loving it. I’m wondering about a few issues that I’m sure are common knowledge to anyone familiar with instruments. String height over frets? Should neck be kept from touching the inside of the box as much as possible? What differences are there between acoustic builds and electric builds besides the obvious? Distance between strings and pickup? Ideal spacing between strings? A big thanks to all who reply

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bet this is one of the most common errors for new builders.

Unfortunately, correct nut position is EXTREMELY important.  I would probably just ditch the bolt and go with a traditional style nut.  Corian is a good material, you can get samples for free at Home Depot and it comes in just about any color.  It cuts easily and can be polished to get it as shiny as desired. A brown to match the walnut would look nice or a simple ivory to mimic bone.  It's my go to material for nuts. 

I prefer traditional nuts as it's easier for me to dial in the action at the first fret.  I use frets that are ~1.17mm tall (crown height) and I simply lay a nickel (1.95mm) up against the nut.  I then slot until the file hits the nickel.  The resulting action at the 1st fret is ~1mm.  

Thanks for all your help I greatly appreciate it. Would you happen to know the exact measurement from center of nut to fret? I love the nickel trick, should make it simple if I can get the nut placement correct.

What scale length did you use?  I use the below website for laying out all my necks as it allows me to use whatever scale length I want and it produces a printable template.  

http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

This is the prewired pickup I was talking about....this isn't that exact same one that I used before but I am sure it will sound pretty good

I’m not there yet, to be honest it looks like just a bunch of wires, I really have no experience with instruments. That said im fascinated with the creativity and sound people are getting from these things. I so wish I knew how to play something on it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

digital tuner

Started by Brent Kasl in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Jeff 'Bones' Reilly 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

Cbg snare

Started by Matt Schaller in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 3 hours ago. 8 Replies

fret cutting jig

Started by Alan Dillard in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by steve hale 7 hours ago. 3 Replies

The first sale

Started by Blues Frog in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Blues Frog on Wednesday. 4 Replies

Tap Tuning

Started by Ken I in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat on Wednesday. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

3. German CBG Festival

Posted by Markus Gaiser on September 16, 2018 at 3:42pm 1 Comment

..absolute authenticity!

Posted by billy jones bluez on August 18, 2018 at 10:30pm 0 Comments

Other woodwork

Posted by Tom E on August 16, 2018 at 5:00pm 4 Comments

kannel/ kantele (Baltic psaltery)

Posted by Tom E on August 16, 2018 at 1:00pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Christoffer Hoffmann updated their profile
22 minutes ago