this is most of what's in the 'What's on your work bench' thread. Decided best to have this in a thread of it's own. Instead of highjacking the other thread. Don't want to loose the content from the 'What's on' thread. This starts on page 59 and goes on to 60. Lots of great ideas and comments. 

'What's on your work bench thread this discussion

My first work bench was a set of saw horses and a cut up and out of square 4x4 piece of 3/4 ply. Used that for years. Decided to finally make a real one. My new one is 72x38. Bigger and taller than what had.

Fist pic is the framework for the top and a proposed wood vice. Vice will come later. That thing has been moved and had size changes several times now.

I'm calling this second pic a 3D version of the first one. : )

Next pic is shows the leg supports. These will be used for shelves and 'pinch buckets'. Bottom shelf is shown but not screwed into place yet.

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, ratty, that looks very serviceable and will be a joy to work on. When will you be adding penciled notes, phone numbers, measurements and coffee mug stains to the bench top? Not to mention some saw marks and drill holes. Well done.

Taff

That's why it's 3/4 ply and not expensive or nice looking wood. It's a work bench. Not a show piece to impress anyone. I'm looking forward to making this look just as beat up as that old 4x4 piece on the saw horses did. That took years. Its not even attached to the legs yet and it's got paint, glue and poly smears.

Hi, I was investigating the fitting of a vice using pipe clamps and wooden jaws as you show here ratty, and decided I could make a few modifications to better suit my needs.

Firstly I thought that the handle and thread part of the vise protruded too far out from the bench, restricting movement around the bench, in my work space I'd  be bound to end up with bruises from bumping into it.

Second was that I wanted the jaws to open wider than the threaded handle adjuster would allow.

So I have posted photos of my proposed mods to overcome these issues.

First, I would have the whole pipe and the moving jaws and tightening mechanism move in and out, then push it in to contact the workpiece and do the final tightening with just a few turns of a shortened threaded handle assembly.

To do this of course I would have to release the pipe locking cam [which is on the other end of the pipe clamp assembly] then move the pipe and vise jaw and  relock the cam in place. This cam lever can just be seen in one of your photos.

I have since revised the cam operation, but you get the idea.

To enable this I would extend the cam lever out for easy access. Shown using timber in the photo.

Also the rods to stabilise the jaws from turning would be smooth pipe so as to limit binding in their holes. May even have the threaded rod going through the pipe.

Anyway, as I do better with wood than computer drawing, I've mocked it up in timber for explanation sake.

Cheers Taff

Computer drawing is easy. All I do is use rectangles and squares to represent the idea. Because I'm on a mac I have to jump through hoops to get it here. First I make the drawing. Then export just the selected drawing. Then use another program to resize it and turn it into a usable GIF or JPEG. 

Sitting closed my clamp sticks a good 8 1/2 inches (216 MM) out from the table. Sitting like this I have the full screw length of the pipe clamp to play with. My total jaw opening is at 13.5 inches (343 MM) of inside use. Was shooting for 12 inches. I like getting more than I planned for. : ) 

the angle of the pic and distance from the opening makes it look like 13 1/4. 

To keep the thread from binding I drilled a 1/2 hole for a 3/8 threaded rod. Two rods would bind. But only one moves freely. And because you really only need one to hold the jaw the clamp works freely as well. 

Ya, all end clamps kinda stick out and can get in the way of moving around a table. But their ease and quick use is worth their real-estate space in the shop. I had to drill two holes in a small piece of wood. Instead of getting clamps. Positioning the wood to drill one hole. Making sure it didn't move and then drill. I opened my end clamp. Drilled both holes and was done. The only thing I had to put away was the drill.  

Wanted to post an update on my bench clamp after using it for a few times. It does have some slight rotation to the clamp. Placing a piece of work off center as shown below causes the empty side to angle inward. So it's not as good as a store bought unit. Still couldn't be happier with it. 

Might try to widen the bar clamp head with a piece of steel flat bar. See if that cuts the movement down a bit. Even if I leave it the way it is it's very usable. Really happy with it.

Also wanted to share a pic of what I've been using for the last 20+ years as a work bench. Saw horses and all. : )

Still don't know why it took 20+ years to do an upgrade. but happy I finally came to my senses and did.

It looks great to me and a very workable work station. Now proceed to wear it out. ;)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 195th Zoom Mtg 03/25/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
17 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
17 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
18 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
19 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
19 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
21 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
21 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
yesterday
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->