I built  two dulcimers from scratch in the early 90s.  No instructions, just a borrowed dulcimer to use as a pattern. I bought used tuners and frets from a shop in Omaha, Nebraska.    My dulcimers came out pretty okay.   

Then I built a travel guitar somewhat modeled after a Martin travel guitar.   It had tuners salvaged from an Ebay purchased guitar that was pretty much a wreck.  My home made travel guitar had a poorly tapered neck, a too thick top and a poor fret job.  It was crap, but the building process was fun.     

Then approx 2006 or 2007,   I saw a video on CBGs.   I made one, a fretless with a piezo pickup salvaged from  a door bell!   THAT WAS FUN.   But I got that 3 string done and pretty much did not know what to do with it.  The few how-to play-videos did not click for me.   

In 2008, I built a shop to work in.  I busted the crappy travel guitar on the concrete floor and used the tuners and frets to make a fretted cigar box banjo.  It was pretty good and I kind of knew how to play it.  Four strings tuned DGBD.

In about 2009 I found CBN and lurked here off and on and joined in (I think) 2010.  Those were my fave days of the CBG world.  I don't recall for sure if Gitty was going then.  I think so.  I remember being pretty excited about the availability of economy tuners, piezos and jacks. 

Those were thumping days.   We thumped boxes for tone.  We hot melt glued piezos in boxes and then in a moment of great anticipation, we hooked up to an amp and thumped the box to see if the piezo worked. 

Those were the days of found objects that we could use in our CBGs.   We went through thrift stores, dollar stores and hardware stores looking for parts and inspiration.  Sink drainer sound hole covers.   Tarp grommet sound holes covers.   We peeked into dumpsters for CBG  parts.  We salvaged wood from construction sites.  We lost sleep thinking about the next step on our builds.

Knotlenny's CBG 101 was the playing video that worked for me.  Then Keni Lee Burgess lessons helped and through him, I learned about DGB and ADF#.   I felt like I was off and flying.   I learned to make a video.  It was poorly lit, kind of crudely done and I did not know how to edit the start and stop.   

Other folks had other teachers that clicked for them: Shane Speal, John McNair and others.   Those were great days for me and lots of others.

Wes Carl and others started making amps.  That was a whole new thing.  And a good one. 

And then along came festivals.   I was in the hinterlands and far from fests.  In 2011, I got to go to a KC fest.  It was in a great blues and BBQ venue.   I got up the nerve to do the open mic.  :D

I've made a lot of friends on CBN and in the CBG world.   Some have come and gone.   I've probably made an enemy or two or more.  I don't know of any, but written communication and my smart ass nature surely fosters people taking me in the wrong way.   I apologize for any feelings I have hurt.

Of the friends and personalities that have come and gone....   Where did they go?  Some or many have moved to Face Book or just moved on to other things.  I hope they still have a CBG to pick up now and then or maybe even build.   A few have died.  Dan Sleep comes to mind as I say that.  A great guy and innovator in our world.  Oh, and Jamie Mac Blues.  He was funny and talented...  And others...

MONEY MAKING!   I once thought I had found a hobby that paid for itself or maybe even MADE money!   That never worked out to be true for me.  Some folks make a little money on CBGs, but the vast majority of us make nothing or a pittance of profit.  But we do it for fun. 

I wish now that I had never sold a CBG.  I would rather gift them.  My builds seldom cost much to make.   I am picky about who I gift to.   I want my babies to be appreciated.  And if the build is a good player, I want it to go to a player.

Those early CBG days seem long past.   Now you can buy ready made or even FACTORY MADE CBGs!   We can buy pre-made necks, fret boards, boxes with the sound holes cut, boxes with cutouts for pick-ups.  We can buy fancy boxes and designer fret boards.  We can buy a vast selection of pick ups.  We can buy CBG and uke kits.   Those parts allow us to build more easily and with better instruments.   But to me, they don't seem as sincere and honest.  

These are good times, but I am an old fart and I liked the old times better.    

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I am mildly embarrassed that I have to go search out Sonny Burgess.  Will do so.  I grew up in one of those religions you mention (or close enough).  Left the religion, but kept Jesus, for 50 years and now trying to take the religion back up again.  I am hindered by a poor attention span for long sermons.  

I think those preachers' daughters can have or get their acts together.  They do have a reputation for going wild or mild.  

Yup on the guitarist picking up a CBG and playing the heck out of it.  I have seen it happen too.  I wish I had a lot more of that talent and training stuff..

Hey Uncle John, nothing to be ashamed of. There are TONS of talented early rockers who most people have never heard of, such as Buddy Knox and the Rhythm Orchids, Wanda Jackson, etc. Actually Carl Perkins, who had a hit with'Blue Suede Shoes' BEFORE Elvis covered his song, started out on a cigar box guitar. This is documented at the bottom of one of Gitty's Blues and Exotic Scales charts which are for sale. Carl says: 'Before I went to school, I started fooling around on a guitar. M daddy made me one with a cigar box, a broomstick, and two strands of bailing wire and I'd sit and beat on that thing'.

Regarding Jesus and preachers, Jesus is one thing. Preachers are another. Mega churches with pastor millionaires with 3 private airplanes are another. As we used to say in San Francisco during the late '60's: 'If it's floating off the ground it's a hippie. if it's in the air, it's Jesus'. Makes sense to me.

I have done a lot of traveling videotaping and teaching around the world and one thing that ties people together EVERYWHERE, no matter what the religion or political belief is THE GOLDEN RULE i.e. 'do unto others as you would have them do onto you.' If this is your axiom I can guarantee you that you will make friends with Muslims in India, Indian ladies speaking Quechua in Mexico, or old Communists in China. People are the same everywhere, and if you respect them, they respect you and want to be friends. That similar attitude is running thru Cigar Box Nation, which pulls people in from ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Back about 2011 I mentioned making a mandolin with jumbo frets.   Gitty kindly discouraged that.   I went ahead and did it.   Came out crappy.  Short scales do better with small frets.

It's been a while UJ... reasuringly your always around..my garage got full and I ground to a halt... neat story UJ

Buggy, you are an old timer here too.

I read your story and I agree with you on gifting CBG's. I like to take on builds that have some sort of special meaning for the receiver of the CBG. I still like to search for found items to make my builds I am always looking for stuff that would look cool .  I like to think of my style as my personal artwork that is unique and one of a kind. I have seen and met others that also make CBG's and although they have great skills and craftsmanship, I find their work to be generic. You can find the same thing down the street type of thing.  I call them assemblers of parts and that's cool but not my style. I don't really actively advertise and its word of mouth about my stuff. I enjoy building CBG's for the fun of it and the artistic outlet. 

Yup, Tom.  I think you do create playable art.  I admire the high craftsmanship builds of some folks, but they don't suit what I want to play.  Different strokes, I guess and there are a lot of different strokes. 

I have a new baby, a factory resonator six.  I am playing it a lot and trying to learn how I can best use it.  But I will soon return to what I like best -playing something of my own make.

So I was driving to the gas station last night and for one reason or another Dan Sleep entered my mind. I never met the man and only had a few real interactions with him here, but I was overwhelmed with emotion thinking about him. I've had the same experience thinking about Jamie MacBlues,

I wasn't around for the thumping days, but I was here when I needed to be for me and my life. I was able to learn how music works through this humble instrument. I was cheered on by the RTZs and the Oilys and the Clocks and the Uncs of the world. That kind of unconditional love through the internet was something I never thought was possible. I'll be forever grateful for that.

You sent me a one string that I played the shit out of. I sent it back out into the world hoping that we could follow its travels. Never heard back on that, but I choose to believe that it has made a difference in people's lives.

I haven't played in a while, but there are several CBGs within my reach as I write. Every once in a while I'll pick one up to work out a melody or just to take my mind off things. One day I'll pick it back up in earnest.

One reason I dropped off was the commercialization of it all. The other reason was that I felt like I achieved a musical goal that I was looking for all my life. Couldn't have done it without CBN.

So good to hear from you, Turtlehead.  Your last paragraph may say a lot about why some folks move on from CBN or anything else.  They achieve a goal and move on - be it "I'd like to make a musical instrument."  Or, "I'd like to make a home made instrument and learn to play it."  Or, " I'd like to get brave enough to play in public or on the internet."

This reminds me of my sister who was thrilled to learn to play some mandolin, then to play in a group setting with others and even to perform with me and my wife, Linda.  They she had achieved those goals and pretty much put the mando down and movfed on.

One of those things may be why Clock and Oily moved on too.  Although Oily was pretty darned good on six strings and a busy dude.

Good to hear from you, Turtle.  I still have my cup your mom made me sitting next to the comuter holding pens, a pocket knife and a penny whisle.

I just hope that all the folks that move on still pick up a CBG now and then.

Hi Uncle John. Your history is a great read. When I first found Nation, I was just getting into internet stuff. Computer illiterate. You were one of my first friends on Nation and I learned a lot from you. I’ve really got hooked on all of this. Building myself out of any space left for stringed instruments. You gave me Ratty, A WONDERFUL guitar. It’s inspiration was like a drug. I treasure Ratty and emulate your spirit and videos. To me you are the Heart of Nation. Thank you Uncle John. Many friends have helped me along the way. Pick, Andries, Vinnie, John McNair, Richard Sundberg, Shane, Ben Gitty, Glenn, Elmar, Bones, Wes Carl, Randy Bretts, AGP, Denbo, BrianQ. Ambrose, Chris Lyons, and so many others. Thanks so much for your friendship and advise, inspiration, guitars, supplies and music videos. I threw away my tv, cancelled my newspaper, started listening to YouTube and you guys. You are my entertainment. These are my good old days. I’ll be 75 by month’s end. And I think this is fun.

Bless ya, Dave and the good folks you mention and the ones left off the list.  It's still fun for me too, but the enthusiasm rises and falls.   75!  Well, crap.  I will hit 70 early in the new year and life is mostly purty good.

Just ran into your story UJ, thanks for sharing.  I have to agree with the "It is better to build and give, than to build and sit in the corner," philosophy.  A few weeks ago I thought that I had better start keeping track of the guitars I have made and given away, so I got three maps.  One of Iowa, the United States and one of Europe that I could put on the bulletin board in my workroom and stick pins in to show where my guitars are.  

I have home made Guitars, Mandolins, Violins and Ukuleles that I have made and given away from right down the street to Northern Italy, Southern Texas to Minneapolis.  Twenty Six in all and I've never made a dime on a single one. 

I build when I am inspired, and the only way that happens now is when someone shows an interest in getting one.  Right now my work bench is empty and waiting for the next project.  The real joy (as you stated) is giving to someone who will enjoy it and have some fun. 

I can't say that I have not been rewarded for some of my gifts.  If anyone asks, I tell them that if they feel they must, keep an eye out at garage sales and junk stores for cigar boxes or old yard sticks but don't spend too much.  I have an 87 year old grandma (not mine) who promised me a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies next time she bakes.  You can't put a price on that kind of appreciation.  

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
13 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
13 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
14 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
16 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
19 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
23 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
23 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->