Hi guys and gals,
I was thinking - can music wire be used as fret alternative?
I mean I have used it to make springs for my CBGs - for awesome reverb/echo effect and I must say - the greater gauge is pain to bend - I have to use improvised bender with my hand drill to provide adequate force.
But getting back to fret alternatives - I have made tied on frets from steel wire, brass and copper wire - brass being my favourite - but it became more expensive than real fret wire!!!
So. As copper dents too easy, and dulls the sound when used as a fret (I used copper resonators - with great results), and lack of cheap brass, I wonder whether or music wire can be a good fit.
Bear in mind that I'll do wrap-around frets - I tried glued-on with a groove but failed miserably :(

Had anyone tried this? Any help? Or do you guys wish me to check this :) ?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Thomasz, I haven't tried it but I suppose it's an idea if you want to be different. For me I would think about any loss of volume and sustain with the absents of a solid anchor point like a fret. Levelling the wire frets is a consideration too, but you may be all over that as you are used to using this type of material.

Taff

not music wire but i used split pins for frets on my first build.  here is a link to what i did..

https://cigarboxnation.com/profiles/blogs/neck-fretted-and-how-not-...

Bailing wire.,.,used on the farm.,.,seems like it would be pliable enough and hard enough, and you could probably level it too.,.,I have not tried music wire.,,.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

r.e. testbed...

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog 6 hours ago. 1 Reply

new bridge

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig yesterday. 22 Replies

Make a Lo-Fi Telephone Microphone! EASY 5 Minute Project

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Shane Speal shanespeal.com yesterday. 5 Replies

Salt when clamping!

Started by KOOL DOG HOOCH in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Titch the Clown on Sunday. 15 Replies

Homemade Fretless Bass Schematic

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by BrianQ. on Sunday. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

David Bowes commented on Dave Lynas's photo
2 minutes ago
David Bowes commented on Barry Leavitt's photo
Thumbnail

Sampling of my work in progress

"Stairway to heaven!"
3 minutes ago
BUGGY (C) commented on BUGGY (C)'s video
Thumbnail

How long ? - The Buggy Big band

"Thanks Dave, Poorness studio, and Uncle John"
25 minutes ago
Poorness Studios updated an event
Thumbnail

New Orleans Cigar Box Guitar Festival at Frenchman Theater

January 15, 2020 at 6pm to January 18, 2020 at 7pm
This is New Orleans annual CBG festival featuring a builders' forum, CBG contest, and 4 days of…See More
38 minutes ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Ohiopicker
"Welcome to the nation, the Resources tab is highly recommended, as is the YouTube channels of Glenn…"
42 minutes ago
Bart Desmet commented on Bart Desmet's video
Thumbnail

ACDB7323-D0CE-44D3-81C0-9BA756D72E7E

"Sorry Uncle John and Dave Lynas, I am new to the group. This is actually not a real video but an…"
1 hour ago
John MacKay replied to Shane Speal shanespeal.com's discussion VIDEO: Beginner Cigar Box Guitar Lesson - the 0-3-5 Blues Scale Secret
"I love the blues and this is GREAT for me to try on my guitar! Thanks!"
1 hour ago
john w commented on Bruce Young's video
Thumbnail

May 17, 2019

"Impressive piece of engineering and nice to look at.  I feel your pain re the playing...like…"
1 hour ago
John Mark Perchalski replied to FoldedSoup's discussion Single U-Bass String on 4-String Git
"Soup, if it was me (and darn it, you're giving me THAT ITCH) I think I'd probably rig my…"
1 hour ago
john w liked Bruce Young's video
1 hour ago
John MacKay left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks, Brian.  I am looking forward to interact and see what everyone is up to.  I am…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Did I Kill That Man? ~ original by me.

"I guess the most fitting and descriptive title is: Did I Kill That Man?   "
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->