I want to make perfect sound holes.....doesn't everybody?

So what tools specifically do you use.

I have a dremel and bought the router base, but the tool that came with the base does not do a very good job...especially on one of those composite boxes.

I've seen many examples on here of beautiful round holes with no crappy edges.....how do you do it?

If dremel make an attachment for producing perfect holes, what is the part/parts called, and can anyone give me part numbers.

Cigar boxes are too hard to get here in Tasmania, Australia, so I can't really afford to wreck boxes trying out various methods.

Views: 3199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Forstner bits (to david) have a small center spike t help guide the bit. As far as hand held drills, if you can't use a drill press then clamping the work down would be all that much more important. I have an inexpensive drill press attachment I use where the hand drill is fastened to the press (20.00 or so if I remember, maybe Craftsman?).
The sturdy hole saw bit mentioned here has worked but don't try and back it out while it's still turning (argh) or it can skip around on you.
BTW, Rafal's comment about backer boards being a way to cut down on tear out is "on the money".
Speaking from bad experiences here, hope this helps.

Boxes here are cheap and available but I've never wrecked one that I didn't have several hours work in. (g).

I like Rafals suggestion too.

I'm now thinking of sandwhiching anything that requires a larger hole between 2 pieces of scrap ply.

I use brad point drills for smaller holes up to 10mm.....similat I assume to forstner bits.

i use a rotozip style bit and a routerbase attachment for a dremel, then clean it up with a small file and sand paper.

Cheap needle files (i.e. Generals) cut as fast as a Dremel but don't get out of control.  For soft Spanish cedar, an X-Acto glides through, can produce nice detail.  Dremels are fine, just take a bit of practice to avoid nicking nice wood (turn into distress marks).  Tip -- using an undersized bit prevents kickback on tight inside curves.
I use a homemade hole cutter (think I have a photo on my page) the cutter is a sharpened piece of broken hacksaw blade.Use the same tool to cut the inner and outer circles for inlaying a rosette

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Hendrix

Started by Lennox Gavin in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Mar 17. 3 Replies

Problem CGB

Started by Thomas Rasmussen in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Thomas Rasmussen Mar 14. 18 Replies

Nylon Strings

Started by Mark Rinehart in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by the anonymous pick Mar 13. 1 Reply

South Africa

Started by Marius in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by the anonymous pick Mar 12. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

BeetleJuice! replied to Tyler Durdan's discussion Made a CBG, now what? I need help
"there is a DVD video on   https://www.3-string-guitar.com it will help you"
4 minutes ago
Rob Uker commented on Dave Gatton's photo
Thumbnail

Hollow Single Cutaway 4 Stringer

"Nice!!! How are you going to tune it."
51 minutes ago
Rob Uker liked Dave Gatton's photo
52 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

The Raid at Kickapoo Springs A. D. Eker 2019

"Hi Dave ! Glad you liked it ! appriciated !"
1 hour ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

The Raid at Kickapoo Springs A. D. Eker 2019

"Thanks BrianQ, thougt he was from Callifornia?  he is not a native americanis he? JacobJack…"
1 hour ago
Tyler Durdan posted a discussion

Made a CBG, now what? I need help

I have made a few CBG’s, now what. I have no musical experience but I really want to start playing…See More
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

DIY Project #18 (Cigar Box Amplifier)

I got this cigar box for cheap and decided to make it into an amp. I bought one of the DIY kits from Cigar Box Junction and added a few of my own touches. I ...
2 hours ago
Paul bailey liked Clarky's video
2 hours ago
Paul bailey commented on Clarky's video
Thumbnail

How to play Electric Worry by Clutch on Cigar Box Guitar

"Great job man. Thanks for sharing this. "
2 hours ago
Blues Frog commented on Shane Speal shanespeal.com's group Introduce Yourself!
"Welcome to the addiction Bill. Questions aren't a nuisance, they are a part of what we all do…"
2 hours ago
Gary Stenzel liked Shane Speal shanespeal.com's video
3 hours ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Daniel Walter's photo
3 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->