by Shane Speal

I can't believe how easy this was to make.  The mic is perfect for blues harmonica or lo-fi vocals...and all you need is an old handset and guitar jack.  If you make one, post pics and vids below!

Parts needed:

• Old telephone handset.  (The one in this video is from the 1980's)
  • 1/4" guitar jack
  • Soldering iron and solder

Views: 1004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool. I made one similar using an old CB radio mic.

50's using a 48v phantom setup.

That is WAY cool.

I think it might be interesting to try to use the mouthpiece parts as a  pickup -- place them under the strings on a cigar box guitar, wire them to a pre-amp in the guitar body. If the body is inset from the neck enough for the strings to clear it, maybe even cut off the screw-on cover and the part it screws onto and inset the whole thing. Not sure how it would sound, but it would be a neat look anyway.

These hacked phones have been used in studios for decades.  Here's Joe Satriani singing through one...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Fretboard Woods

Started by Brent Kasl in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans 11 hours ago. 1 Reply

Volume/Tone Pots

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat on Saturday. 4 Replies

CONTEST CANCELLED: We Need Your Photos!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Alex Fong on Friday. 2 Replies

Mods to CBG kit

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog on Wednesday. 4 Replies

Latest Activity

Cause the Blue rat replied to Paul Craig's discussion What's on your workbench?
"Right now I have 11 A250K pots. I don't want to buy anymore. Those long shaft pots are A500Ks.…"
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick posted photos
2 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Jason Mills's video
Thumbnail

Swamp Witch Elder

"Cheers Dave , You're looking at  Swamp witch # 1 there , The one that started it…"
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s video
Thumbnail

"Rollin' 'n' Tumblin' Blues"

""Thanks Buggy", and yes!, was aware of that method, and did try bashing it with it with a…"
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

The Duke of Padouk

"Thanks for commiseration AGP I got him workin ok. I’ll find the cold joins and fix it later.…"
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Sunday Morning Duke

"Thanks Rev. At least my wiring didn’t smoke."
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

The Duke of Padouk

"They start a card game Poorness. And gather round the billiards table."
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas liked Dave Lynas's video
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Duke Tape

"Thanks Jason. Likewise Jason. You’re beWitched! Happy Hollow Days!"
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Jason Mills's video
Thumbnail

Swamp Witch Elder

"Wonderful Jason. You’ve got your Witchy Ways. Nice Elder Pick."
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas liked Jason Mills's video
3 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's photo
4 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->