I like putting a c-shape on my necks, because that's what I like to play.  I've notice a lot of builders just do a round over on the corners of their 1" x  2".  To me, they're like baseball bats.   I like playing them sometimes, but it's not what I prefer. 

I know I can't build fast enough to have an inventory for Christmas sales, if I take the time to rasp out a c-shape.   For those of you selling, how are you shaping your necks?  How long does it take you to build a ready-for-sale CBG?

Views: 954

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it works in concert with the side pencil lines. With all three lines, you can instantly tell whether you are taking too much off the top side or the bottom side of the neck. it works really well.

Like the reference lines idea.  I use a round "micro planer" type rasp for most shaping, followed by the usual, sanding/ finishing and don't take off much past a D profile, but intend to do some practicing on "blanks" to acquire more C profile in the future and the lines will def help.  Thx!

With a draw knife a neck can be shaped in just a few minutes.  If the grain is straight and cooperates (probably 3 out of 4 necks with oak) a draw knife can leave a nice finish and let you skip most of the sanding too.  If it is too curvy of a grain a farriers rasp gets you there quickly too.

I have several grades of guitars.... 

I sell slide KITS at local faires... 3/8" round over bit...

For higher end stuff I will start with the round over and then break out the spoke shave, sandpaper, scraper, and elbow grease...

Profiling a neck needn't take long - with the right tools and some practice it only takes a few minutes. I use a spokeshave for the bulk of the work. The key to this is making sure that the blade is sharp and the tool is properly set-up.

I really enjoy your videos, I think I've seen every one of them.

What rasps do you use? They look like they cut mahogany like its butter...

And the strap down/ end neck support is brilliant!

The round rasp is a "MicroPlane", and I've now moved onto using a half round one that fits into a standard hacksaw frame - they are great!

Yep,I like your method, as well as your instruments/ideas/vids.

Starting off with good wood selection with nice straight grain and as close to quarter sawn as you can get. This is my method using a y handled vegetable peeler. though I usually taper the neck width and thickness on the bandsaw first and follow up with small block planes spoke shaves rasps and sanding to even things out. 

https://youtu.be/hwpjJeD4_3M

$2 from Kmart no name is my current favourite as it is just a bit stiffer than the $6 Kiwi brand one in the video so it does not dig in as often. 

Titch, that was amazing! How many necks can you do with one peeler?

I have made a few dozen so far and sharpened the kiwi one once using a little diamond paddle thing. It takes a small amount of practice and a little bit of care on wonky grain but is the bees knees for what I use it for. Kitchenware area of the store is great for nice little paring knives and the like. Victorinox the army knife people make a great little hooked vegetable shaping knife just perfect for whittling and micoplane graters are good too.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Wiring question

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig 2 hours ago. 9 Replies

Baritone first pix

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig 2 hours ago. 7 Replies

Mini powered scrollsaw

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 5 hours ago. 4 Replies

UPDATE ON VAL

Started by the anonymous pick in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Diglydog on Monday. 25 Replies

Cigar Box Guitars for Warriors! A SOS!!

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Sunday. 8 Replies

Piezo Secrets from Cigar Box Nation Members

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by BrianQ. on Saturday. 10 Replies

Blog Posts

Tab for Ry Cooder

Posted by Keith Gibson on September 30, 2019 at 12:44pm 2 Comments

Ducktail Run in James Dean Country

Posted by Rick Tish on September 29, 2019 at 9:57pm 1 Comment

Tiki mask guitar

Posted by Phil Stickings on September 27, 2019 at 12:39pm 5 Comments

Festival in the land that time forgot

Posted by Rick Tish on September 23, 2019 at 10:09am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

neddy replied to neddy's discussion Fret sizes. in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"I set my hieght of strings using playing cards 3 cards at nut fret and 7cards at 12th fret."
49 seconds ago
neddy replied to neddy's discussion Fret sizes. in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
4 minutes ago
BrianQ. replied to neddy's discussion Fret sizes. in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"I’m also using a phone? Screen is same for me whether iOS or Android? Is your action high…"
12 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Daniel Walter's photo
19 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
19 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked David Hopkins's photo
20 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked David Hopkins's photo
20 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary Thorne's photo
21 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary Thorne's photo
21 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked christopher's photo
22 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner's discussion Mini powered scrollsaw
24 minutes ago
"My frets are only 1mm high. I can't get a page up resembling the one shown I am only using my…"
26 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->