Yeah, I know, build #2 ain't done yet and already I'm thinking of #3.

BUT since my planning process is a long one, at least a couple weeks, I need some info for the next build.

Baritone lap steel.

Wood and style I've got covered...

What I need is a suggested overall length, scale length, and what strings to use for  a lower rather than higher baritone tuning, and a pickup recommendation for one pickup...single coil, humbucker, 2 rail humbucker, P-90, etc.

I'm so tight I squeak, so no $150 gear.

Please remember that I'm noob. Musical jargon will go right over my head

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would suggest around 27"scale length. you can get baritone string sets too now. 

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exl158-light-b...

or 

https://www.ernieball.com.au/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings...     these can go up to a 29 5/8 scale....  thats short scale bass territory 

and from wiki

The most common scale lengths on a baritone range from 27 to 30.5 inches (690 to 770 mm).

OK, is this right?

The 2x4 lap here is a 23" scale, the body is 32 inches long. That's a 9" difference.

If I used a 27 inch scale for a baritone, adding 9 inches takes the body to a nice even 36".

I think that places the bridge +4" from the butt, and the nut at +31 inches from the butt.

Correct?

Oke Poor Dog ! the best scale 25 3/4 inch ,use slick strings, cheap jazz flat wound, to avoid  humming ,use a humbucker, or a lipstick Gitty 's got em! vintage hinge for a stingholder, bridge on the body, hardwood,or bone, burn the frets in the wood, tidye the thing ,whit ecoline let it flow ,dry and lacer ,tree layers shiny and smooth! and then when its all dry and nice , play the sucker till you get blisters on your fingers ! Be good ! woef !

Why do you like 25.75? I really do want bottom end... I saw this and I haven't stopped drooling...

https://youtu.be/0zYnr6PuoVw

The pickups I have are a few single coil, a dual rail humbucker, a a few regular humbuckers, and a couple P-90's coming in. Tell me about lipsticks, I know nothing of them.

i may build a beater baritone first, but my goal is for an upscale (at least for my skills) one out of a very nice piece of monkey pod, and I don't want to ruin any of it, it's really nice wood.

The guitar in the YouTube video is a Fouke Industrial Baritone Lap Steel. According to the information on the Fouke web site the scale is 24 3/4" and it is tuned either open E or G. The bottom end is likely a result of the tuning (maybe E2 or G2).

I  defer to better eyes, but I think those steels are different. Looks like the product is 2 octaves, and the vid is 2.5?

If you're looking for better eyes, I'm not your guy.

I went to the Fouke web site and the only thing similar to the video was the one I referred to. Maybe they have more or do custom work.

I went there and put 'baritone' in the search box.  Seems they do sell that rail baritone steel, and I hist found the stats...
==============================================
29.5" scale

24 frets (36 on request)

Mini series/split/parallel switch

14-68 baritone string set

Open B tuning, open C also works well

Sounds like you found the scale information you were looking for.

Wonder why  they don't show the baritone on the home page.

If you use a 25  scale you got a lap, but you can play it like a guitar!, no hawaien scale, to adapt to or C6 tuning ,is nice ! but dont realy rock ,like i think you want !! pick up dont realy matter for the first one, you never realy build what you think you realy want! sounds funny but youl find out, build  exspiriment and then build the one you realy want ! and round the corner there is allways a better or nicer piece of wood, and even if you go for the alluminum there are pieces out there rough and ready in no time ! like i have pieces left from the ALTREX scaffold i bought (and dont use, safetypanels) that whit a cut and a drill are what you need ! Allways look futher then the Nooze is long !! i say !! Gteeeeeettssszzz A.D.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->