OK. So I seem to be at the point where I think I need a microphone. I would like to record the sound from my amp and it doesn't sound so good going from the amp output into the computer. I think the best bet is to use a microphone placed in front of the speaker. The ideal would be a mic I could be used with both the computer and my camera, and both have a mini jack connection, so I assume that would be no problem.

So, to the question. I really don't want to spend more than I need, but I don't know how much I do need to spend to get something that will give quite realistic sound. I also don't know what to look out for and what to avoid. Can I get a second hand one on eBay and if so what should I be searching for? Any help would be very welcome, bearing in mind my financially challenged state at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

John

Views: 559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Instead of starting a group, I think that would make a good discussion thread at http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/cbnationrecordingcollective

It fits right in with what we are trying to do there.

Mark

Ok, Mark good idea, I'll take a walk over there. Are you going to start a thread? I am wary of recording on my new laptop so need some help.(I almost lost a good PC that restarted while updating and tried to boot from an MP3 player that was on charge in the usb port).

Any help you can give is welcome, I can't  spend a lot right now but can afford the basics.

Hey Joe!

My primary goal there has been to

1: get people to try recording, collaborating and learning together, and

2: sharing their knowledge of what works, tips, creative ideas. Its wide open!

I personally would love it if people would not only post their recorded efforts, but to share how they did it and what equipment they used. Since there is an especially strong interest in low buck/lo-fi jug band/home made music here, it would just make sense!

As long as the topic is general recording tips and techniques, equipment tips and recommendations would also fit right in as responses to the recording tutorial discussion I started building last week. If you want to start an individual thread on something more specific, thats fine, but maybe we should be mindful that every new discussion bumps one down, so if the topic is being discussed or presented in another thread, maybe keeping it there would be best? JMO, and just a thought. Hey ya'll, come check it out!

Mark

Mark, Thanks much.  I will read the other threads and learn what I can from them, Then ask questions  The only recording I have ever done was with a tape recorder . We used to record then play it back on another recorder and record another track with it.--- Sllllllooowww process.

Alright guys, I added some stuff on mics to the recording tutorial section in the recording group. I am not done, but its a start. I want to add a couple of pics, maybe screen shots too.

Heres the portion that I feel is relevent to Johns original post:

Some time ago I picked up a Samson Go-Mic for about $40, which uses a USB connection to go directly into the computer. Most serious studio engineers will scoff at a USB mic, but again, it serves its purpose for portability and compactness. In its case it is small enough to hide in one hand! I threw it in my laptop bag and use it occasionally to capture some sound samples and such. Last year I used it to record my dad strumming his acoustic and singing some old country songs, sounds great!

I found it to have virtually plug and play simplicity and very good sound. I quickly learned to get it away from my laptop so I didnt record its humming. In fact it needs to be isolated from it by not setting it on the same table too! I used it to record something a few nights ago as an unrelated experiment, and noticed I could hear the refrigerator hum two rooms away, the quiet crackle of fire in my wood stove, with my headphones on I can hear traffic sounds well out front of my house! Its a pretty hot little mic!

It was during this little experiment the other night that I learned something else. I knew it has a headphone output, and had read that it could be used for low latency monitoring. I had assumed this meant it monitored input directly, I never previously considered it might allow monitoring the mix as I played along.....

Thats right. Low latency monitoring, no interface! Heres what I found. With the mic plugged in I went into my DAW preferences, and had the option of using my sound card speakers or the Samson USB mic as my output. When I went and armed a track for recording, I had the available option of the soundcard mic input, or the Samson mic as a source. Heres where it got weird. Usually when using an interface you select "monitor incoming signal." but when I selected that I got severe latency, as it apparently tryed to process the incoming signal from the mic through the DAW and then send it back to the mic's headphone output. But unchecking the "monitor incoming signal" selection eliminated the latency! The only drawback, is that you must monitor a "dry" mic signal, with none of the DAW's effects or processing, which is a manageable solution, though when playing guitar for example, playing with some effects can change the way you play somewhat. But if you are recording your amp, this might be a good solution!

I have since then seen a few other USB mics with headphone monitoring capabilitys. I saw an MXL outfit at Target' of all places last weekend that had a mic, headphones, cables  and I believe it had a basic recording software too, (A "light" Cakewalk product maybe? I dont recall.) all for only about $70! (MXL is a division of Marshall by the way)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Truly amazing Randy! A stunning build. Craftsmanship at its finest…"
38 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"I’m with Kale; the shaker sound nicely offsets the guitar groove… Cool Andries!"
45 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Love that outside the box thinking! Less Paul, more Glenn! You are having way too much fun…"
49 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

Less Paul by GK

"Wow! Less Paul is definitely more Glenn!!! Simple and cool; a great combo."
54 minutes ago
Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
6 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
7 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
7 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
7 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
7 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
9 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
12 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->