I hope I am posting in the appropriate place, I am in the process of building a 3 String cbg and I Want to fret the neck. I have seen necks with 14 frets which should be what I will need. It will be tuned GDG, and I want it for slide, with some 3.string chords as well which is why I want to have frets. I have the wood for the neck, which is oak 2x1 inches and 36 inches in length. I am fitting a brass nut which I will make.
So what I would like to know is as its only 14 Frets, do I have to shorten the neck, and also how to calculate the fret positions. I am planning to fit a hard tail adjustable bridge.

I was an engineer by trade, and now retired, and this will be my first build, I would be so grateful for any help and advice in this regard.

Thanks In Advance

Phil Hale

Views: 2284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder how on earth did luthiers manage before the advent of online calculators and computer print outs

A lot of slide guitars?

Templates. Lots of templates.

... constructing the fret layout with compass and ruler as described on this forum... another approach were instruments like viols and ouds, fretted by means of movable wrapped-around and tied-on gut frets, positioned by ear.

Since you are an engineer, I'll tell you that fret layout is an inverse power series with a ratio of the 12th root of 2.

I do my own fret calculator with a spreadsheet

scale / ((2^(1/12))^Fn)

where Fn is the Fret Number, 0=nut, 1=first fret, 2 = second fret, 3 = 3rd fret, etc.  this gives the pre-compensated bridge to fret lengths.

or

scale - (scale / ((2^(1/12))^Fn)) if you prefer to put the 0 end of the stick at the nut instead of the bridge.

I do my layouts in centimeters because I have not yet found an SAE ruler with decimal inches.

fret calculations are based on idealized strings, just like the law of gasses are based on idealized gas.  since real world strings have actual physical properties, the bridge saddles get adjusted away from the nut to compensate for that, giving the bridge a slant where bigger strings are compensated more than thinner strings.

on my spreadsheet I put the scale in A0 and in all the formulas I put $A$0 instead of 'scale' so that I can recalculate the whole set at once.  that makes it easy to put the 0 mark of the ruler on the box about where I want the bridge and play with the numbers to see where the nut, 12th, and 17th frets end up. 

I try to do at least 17 frets, to allow 1st position fingering an octave higher.

Thank for your response.

There are several fret calculators online, which you should be able to find via Google.  Personally, I use WFret.  WFret is a free program that can be used to calculate fret positions and also print a template.  I don't remember where I found the download, but again, a Google search should find it for you.

Yes wayfinder I like the look of this myself, but please tell me, as my printer is only A4 how does it cope.

Take Care And Thanks In Advance
Phil

Fretfind2d (http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/) lets you save a pdf in A4 size instead of letter (8.5" x 11").

Yes thanks for this Eric, I managed to get it loaded, but just a quick query, as to how my A4 printer will cope with the length.
Thanks for the info on wfret.

Regards Phil

Philip, When the template is printed, the frets are divided into two parts (on my printer).  You simply cut out the template and attach the two halves with tape, or just align the second half to the last fret of the first half when marking the fret positions on your fret board. When I mark the fret positions on my fret board, I use the first half of the print, then line up the first fret of the second half with the last marked fret from the first half.

Also, you might want to print the template and print the chart, then check the fret lines on the template using the the measurements on the chart.

Thanks for that Eric sounds good.
Just got to decide on the best width for the neck of the 3 string
bearing in mind the strength. Will probably post and ask.
Thanks again and best wishes.
Phil

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->