I have seen so many different guitar styles since joining this site. I dunno if its been asked before, but my question is this;

Other than a requested design, what makes you build that particular build? Do you ask for design ideas?

Do you build around box? Do you design and build your own box? Do you build the same ones over and over or do you build something different each time?

Here's my take. So far I built my first one with the idea of using an old doublehumbucker I had "laying" around. Having already purchased a random collection of ten boxes, I looked at each box and saw an idea.

Some became guitars, some amps. 

I personally build around an idea that pops into my head. Once there, I have to create it. 

The most recent is called Frog's Leg's (Blues Frog that is..) 

I had a build idea, which I decided to double and call the twins. 

The resulting long winded story, ends in me me coming up with what I call "Frog's Legs"  

When I get seriously into something, it doesn't shut off when I go to sleep. I have solved many an"issue" in my sleep. With this set of guitars, the design also came while I slept. Can't say its the best idea, but "Frogs Legs" became the design.

So this is what the idea became. I've finished the first one, and will finish the second one soon. It's a twin to the first, but each will have their own sound.

So, what makes you build what you build. Share the idea behind one of your designs, and how it came to be.

Views: 1556

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bluesfrog, great handle and great guitar. I am early in building but have 3,4,and 5 going already with more planned out. I pretty much first think of what sound I want, and how to get it. Since I like a rustic look, and don't want to keep the label I start sanding and let the box speak to me. I get a lot of ideas that way. I started sanding a black box and loved the finish. It had sort of that burn wood look with some of the black paint. I decided to stop sanding because it looked perfect like that. Looking at it it was telling me f holes. The f holes then led me to pick out a certain style pick up. Then I figured a hinge would look good, along with an all walnut neck. To me this type of decision making is what personalizes the guitar. 

Thanks Pavlov. This one started out completely different in my head. I was toying with trying to build a dulcimer type instrument. The body started out as a rectangle box, then it changed to an eight sided box. Then I decided to round the edges.

Next I started thinking finish and couldn't decide what I wanted to do, until the current design idea of a Frog's Leg came to me in my sleep. From there the color scheme and soundholes all came as I was building, right down to the nut and bridge. They were both custom created just for these builds.

You inspired me to do a frog one in the future, but only for one reason and it will look a lot different. I have a rubber frog that I use when fishing in areas with a lot of weeds and lily pads. I first tried it out in South Carolina at a pond in this wildlife refuge. I didn't see anyone else fishing that pond because of all the weeds. I had a rubber frog that I started bouncing on the lily pads. I caught a huge frog on that thing. Hooked him in the tongue and had several others jumping on him with fury. I had a cottonmouth on, caught 3 bass, and had gators coming after that frog. It was wild. I had ever reptile and amphibian in that pond poking eyes out of the water watching that thing. It would be darker with spots and some yellow. 

I would like to build a gourd banjo one day. I'll be visiting Michigan in the fall, and there is an Orchard that I helped out that gives me these giant blue gourds. I'll dry one out this fall and go for it hopefully by the end of the year. 

Oooh, a gourd banjo with a clear top and the frog inside it. 

I like the fact that I've inspired you. I look forward to you posting photos of whatever it is that you build with your frog idea.

Enjoy!

A clear top with a frog in it, now that would be cool. I will keep you updated on it. I now feel like I have to do it. Part of me wants to build 20 guitars at once, but the wiser side of me says take my time. I'll catch up with you cbg vets one day, but I am enjoying the learning process. A frog is on the way, and since I'm a fisherman I have to do a fish one too.

People will spaz about anything this days. Wayfinder, since you are a cat lover I would expect you to suggest skinning a cat for a nice furry top, or a soft guitar strap.

No, but Cat Gut strings are all the rage!

Problem is I have more designs than time to build. Was searching for jazz on youtube and a song tittle screamed at me. 'Mojo Bounce'. Now i NEED a CBG with that on it. Inspiration comes from everywhere. 

It doesn't shut off does it? That's what makes me finish a current build, I want to start on the next idea thats taking over my thoughts.

I am finding in my forties that creativity doesn't shut off as easy as it did when I was in my twenties. I was a sculpture major and I seemed to always be struggling for a good idea. Now later in life I am finding the ideas and creativity comes to me a lot easier. Not only with cbgs, but also with writing. I used to struggle to get a few paragraphs out, now I can sit down and write  blog entries with ease, even if we were out in the middle of nowhere for the week. I believe part of this is that I have built a strong foundation all those years I struggled in art, music, and writing. The other part is, I just don't care about impressing anyone, or competing with anyone anymore. I do things for enjoyment, and I can just relax and enjoy myself. No more pressure. 

True Way. Very true. I've finished penning an autobiographical type song that spans youth to the fast approaching slowing down years and there's a line in the last verse that goes, 'the things I'd like my hands can't hold.'

@Pavlo. Wow man you get around. I think I read about a gator gettin someone in the carolina region the other day. My crazy brother still fishes in croc infested waters when he is in the Territory (Darwin is the capitol).

This is a really interesting thread.

Ha, yeah Jonno I do get around. If you're ever get bored you can check out the blog at pavlovamericanroadtrip.blogspot.com. We are almost finished with one loop around US. I don't think I can ever get used to the gators though. I walked past 8 feet gators wondering how fast they can move when you are fifty feet away, but the reality is you're even closer when fishing. I went on my friends small fishing boat in Florida, and if you get snagged on a lily pad you don't want to reach down the side of the boat because they will come up and twist your arm off. One morning I caught the largest bass I ever got in my life, and it was all scraped up on the side from a struggle with a gator. I had too much respect for that fish to eat him, or take him back to show off. I threw that stud back in the water. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
5 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
7 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
16 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
" That's what I  thought!"
16 hours ago
Sam Beavers left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks Brian !!"
17 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->