I’m brand new to making cigarbox guitars. I’m on my second one. I’ve been reading everything I can about how to put a rod PIezo under the saddle. I bought the Piezo and the Jack in the picture. I cut the end off of the Piezo . Now I need to solder the braided outer wire and the inner wire to the jack and I don’t know how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Any advice on how to actually mount the Piezo would be helpful too. I watched a lot of different ways to do it and I’m planning on trying the method I saw Shane  spiel do. He ground out the underside of the bolt that he is using for his saddle and he’s resting the piezo right under it. That’s what I was going to try.

Views: 118

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I reread the first paragraph I thought maybe it wasn’t completely clear. What I really need to know is where do the braided wire and the coated wire attach to the Jack?

The catalogue page for this jack on Gitty states that "The shorter of the two solder lugs that protrude from the base of the jack is the one to wire your positive lead to, if you intend to use this with mono plugs." That indicates that the white inner wire is connected to the shorter of the two lugs on the jack. The braided ground wires should be connected to the outer portion of the jack.

If you have any doubts, just use alligator clips to temporarily connect the wired, the plug in an audio cord and then to an amp. You should be able to tap the piezo and hear sound if you are connected correctly.

Thanks for the info and for taking the time to respond.

Red - Signal/ Positive 

Green - Braid/Ground

FYI- a guitar cable is soldered the same & has the same connections as the schematic above.     Tip touches the inner contact & ring touches the outer contact?                                                    Tip-Signal/Positive  Ring-Ground/Negative 

Thanks a lot for the insights and for taking time to reply. I appreciate it.

Instead of messing with rod piezos, try the bowtie(ribbon, violin) style. It's placed between the bridge and top. No groove to cut, cable is in the middle and best of all no chance of killing the thing (shorting out) by trimming it down. No trimming needed.Bowtie Piezo(click here)

That’s a rod piezo? I bought that same one from gitty, really only 1/4” shorter than a regular one? a ribbon piezo is a speaker element used for tweeters? Piezo film pickup is thinner like a ribbon & is usually rolled lengthwise around a plastic rod, but not as common as a rod piezo? 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Volume/Tone Pots

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Poorness Studios 12 hours ago. 3 Replies

CONTEST CANCELLED: We Need Your Photos!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Alex Fong yesterday. 2 Replies

Mods to CBG kit

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog on Wednesday. 4 Replies

s/s lm386 draw amp,

Started by GARAGE HERMIT in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Wednesday. 8 Replies

Back Angle

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Monday. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

Mag pickup help

Posted by Fantacone Box Works on December 1, 2019 at 7:26pm 5 Comments

Tupelo Tenor kit

Posted by Craig W.Solomon on November 21, 2019 at 6:51pm 4 Comments

Hello from new member

Posted by Morgan L. Scoggins on November 16, 2019 at 9:52am 8 Comments

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Cover of Bob Dylan's You Ain't Going Nowhere

"Thanks, Derek.  I know That you have done some very good Dylan divers."
2 minutes ago
Downtown Vinnie posted a video

Star Keeper

voyaging
13 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on Uncle John's video
16 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked Uncle John's video
16 minutes ago
3 String Guitars commented on 3 String Guitars's group Three string guitars
"cool"
41 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

Awfull Dreams A D EKER 2019

"Excellent singing and playing Andries! Heartfelt blues and cool imagery."
45 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked Andries D. EKER's video
47 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked AGP #'s video
50 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on AGP #'s video
Thumbnail

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

"Nice rendition of this classic Hank tune, Alan. Smooth and clean sliding. Cool lead-in too!"
50 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

Ticket to Eternity

"Thank you for the great support Nancy! Perfect kitty pic, thanks!"
59 minutes ago
3 String Guitars posted a video

Aviator Cigar Box Guitar - For Sale - Red Dog Guitars

This guitar will be for sale at the website https://www.3-string-guitar.com - or Goggle Red Dog Guitars
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Dave Lynas's photo
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->