Just wondering if anyone is formulating homemade stains? What combination's of materials are being used and what outcomes have resulted? I've been working with some different teas in both water and alcohol with various results.

Views: 2249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just white vinegar and water...the longer it sits the darker it will be. I used red wine vinegar 'cause the missus was out of regular white vineger

Wes Yates said:
MDM,

Do you have a recipe? Is there any "trick" involved?

-Wes

Mad Dog Madda said:
Awhile back someone posted about using vinegar with a steel wool pad left to soak in it. He called it ebonising. I tried it and am happy with the results. It will be darker if you use the steel wool to rub in the mixture and it takes a little while for the wood to darken up. This fretboard is oak.

Will the vinegar/steelwool mixture keep or do you make new each time?
OOPS...white vinegar and steel wool ... not water. It will keep. My mixture is about 3 weeks old and is much darker than when I first mixed it up.
:-P

Proportions my good man: Qty of water per steel wool.

-Wes

Mortimer Snerd said:
You need a recipe for two ingredients?
Wes Yates said:
Mort,

Post your recipe :-)

-Wes

Mortimer Snerd said:
Steel wool and water in a jar, let the wool rust way, this makes an Iron stain, and has been used in woodworking in the past long ago.
Hi
as regards to the vinigar and steel mix it works superb on Oak and some other woods - on Oak it's true it turns it jet Black in minutes as long as the mix is strong enough

heres how i make mine - use 500Ml Malt vinigar and one good handfull of steel nails (clean not rusty) put them in a jar with a lid on but leave the lid slightly undone so the mixture can breath - give it a stir every days for four or five days then it's good to use the longer you leave it the better it gets

as always try it on some scrap wood before using on your build

i used this mix on both the plank guitars - on sycamore it turns it a silver grey which is a fantastic base for adding a waulnut over stain followed Danish oil - the oak necks on the Plank guitars went jet black then i rubbed it back with some 240 grit to highlight the areas that would wear by constant use

hope this helps

juju.
Plug of tobacco soaked in a jar of ammonia. The longer you let it set before use the darker it gets.
Gang,

Wow, what a good turnout on the replies. Guess I'm not the only one interested in the "messy" stuff! I got a real good bit of info from some Civil War re-enactors about Potassium Permanganate(poison) and water mixed. It produces a purple liquid that turns very lovely dark color on woods?? I haven't tried it yet but I did get some PP and I will give it a whirl soon. You folks are great, keep my imagination stoked.
Guys, I started a discussion on Secrets of the CBG Underground. If you can, repost your techniques there. This stuff is gold. Thanks.

-Wes
I left a paper sack full of fresh fallen black walnuts, husks and all, in the back of my pickup. After a couple of good rains, the back of my pickup was awash in the best walnut stain I ever found. I've been meaning to experiment more with this natural stain, but I have moved away from [and out from under] the source.
Ok, I put a wad of steelwool in a jar of vinegar when this discussion started and NOTHING has happened! Are you guys laughing at me, like maybe a snipe hunt(who know what thet is?).... What gives?
Try some on a piece of scrap. My mix looked clear the first time I used it but it did work. It takes a little while for the wood to turn....I don't know what else to tell ya. Did you stir it up good?
Guys, here is a great discussion on this in the American Association of Woodturners on this:

Here

Mad Dog Madda said:
Try some on a piece of scrap. My mix looked clear the first time I used it but it did work. It takes a little while for the wood to turn....I don't know what else to tell ya. Did you stir it up good?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
2 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
4 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
13 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
" That's what I  thought!"
13 hours ago
Sam Beavers left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks Brian !!"
14 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->