A few comments and then a few questions.  Since I don't have good maple or other decent hardwoods readily available to me I use the 1x2's from the home centers.  Went to HD and Lowes yesterday searching for decent 1x2's.  Sorted through probably 75 boards and came home with 3 good red oaks.  Went through all the poplar they had and found nothing that was even approaching straight.  I've read where they use tulip wood and call it poplar.  Which to me is aggravating.  And frankly kinda dishonest.  Also the poplar seemed flimsy, shaggy  and awfully lightweight.  Haven't done a neck with it yet and frankly haven't found a reason not to use the red oak.

I know that many on here like poplar but is what they sell at the home centers really poplar or tulip wood? 

Why do you prefer poplar over red oak?  

Views: 1178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea pick, especially after you’ve rubbed some stain into, it is kinda purty 

Indeed Brian ,  and  poplar can be thexah too   ;-)

Yes pick, in our local hardware store, even the oak can be bowed, in the rack, even before you buy it.

I always go through the rack and pick out the quarter sawn pieces, much more stable. The closer the grain the better.

If it ain't on the 1/4 I don't buy it.

Taff

Another question.  Has anyone used the maple 3/4" plywood for a neck?  Lowes has a 2x4 sheet for around $25.  I can rip that into 1 1/2" wide necks and glue a maple fretboard on it.  The woodcraft and rockler stores sell baltic birch sheets also.  

Wondering how it would sound? 

Seems to me that construction plywood would be very hard to turn into a neck. It probably wouldn't be very strong, would probably be a nightmare to shape, gaps would have to filled, you'd probably have to coat it in superglue or epoxy to get a smooth finish, it wouldn't be very dense and would absorb a lot of vibration.... I think it would take a lot more work than just using solid wood and wouldn't sound as good.

That said, I think high quality plywood like the SpectraPly that Randy Bretz is using could make a great neck.

I’ve made quite a few with HD poplar necks with an oak fretboard. The oak is harder and holds frets a bit better than poplar. It also strengthens the neck and helps prevent bowing.

The maple plywood at HD is Purebond.  Suitable for cabinet and furniture making.  

I’ve used the maple 3/4 ply from Lowe’s to make an entertainment center. It isn’t warp resistant enough for a guitar neck if simply sawed as a blank. It would work if cut into strips and laid on edge and laminated, but otherwise it’d likely go banana on you. 

I get a good selection of Red Oak from Lowe's for my necks and fret boards and they have a bright tone to them for the builds I've used them on(6 string and 4 String). The Oak is harder to work, but it moves along good with a coarse Rasp File. It does splinter easy and some times it will split if your piece has any cracks, so look out for that. It is hard to find quarter sawn pieces, but if you have a table saw you can glue up a couple pieces of bigger stock, flip them over and cut a good quarter sawn piece out of that. Just make sure your using good glue.

Tulip Wood is a type of Poplar(my neighbor has one in her front yard) that's easy to work, but has a tendency to warp so it's harder to find a good piece. It also will ramp up on you under string pressure so a trussrod will be needed for most necks, but is an excellent wood for bodies.

All the wood you get from Home Depot and Lowe's hasn't been completely dried out and may warp/twist on you. Some people will stack it under heavy weight to keep them straight for a year before using it on a guitar build. I will dry all my pieces out in the oven at home before use at low temp. This can be problematic for some people because of allergies and some trees give off toxic fumes, so read up on that before doing it.

I've used the Red Oak for many years now and haven't had any problems with warping or twisting yet.

Check out Menard's if you have one in your area. They have a brand called Mastercraft that is high grade lumber intended for wood crafts. It's dried and packaged in heat-shrink plastic, almost always straight and nice grains.

I like Menards choices in the Mastercraft. I have not had any complaints. I do both Lowes and Menards. I like maple or oak, but depending on my build and goal, will use poplar or pine. 

I have seen some pretty good poplar at the Lowes in Albuquerque but my only complaint is that no matter what 1 x 2 you buy it will be definitely no greater than 1.5" wide and if you have to do any shaping you may be a little more narrow than you want. For a 3 string that is ok but for a 4 string you might be a little cramped. I have a plank of poplar I bought at an exotic wood store in Albuquerque before they closed and I am glad I got a nice one. I was going to use it for native American flutes but find it will work great for  good necks on  CBGs. I cut a piece off the other day and I made it exactly 1" thick and 1 7/8" wide. I think I might try installing the frets onto it since it is thick enough and have plenty width for a good 4 string. I have to agree with some of the other guys it is easy to work with and strong. As far as the red oak it is pretty hard and a little difficult to work with but if you can get a good 1/4" thick straight piece it should work great for a fret board if you need one.  I too noticed a lot of the oak with bows in them. I have never known Lowes to mislead anyone with the type wood they sell and everything I have seen that is advertised as Poplar looked like Poplar to me.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"Thanks Keith ! appreciated !"
5 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"Thank you for the comment Doug !appreciated !"
7 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Ghostbuttons's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Crazed Fandango's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
1 hour ago
BrianQ. posted a status
"R.I.P. Dickey Betts, Thanx for the memories!!!"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
"Ever heard of The Godfather of cigarbox guitars? He has a one stop shop store complete with all the…"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
"Here’s a video, if you’re not into lengthy reads? …"
2 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Ghostbuttons's photo
2 hours ago
T-Gripped commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Cool shot with those wildflowers in the background and your wonderful instrument leaning against…"
2 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->