OK, am getting deeper into the online plans for the 2x4 lap steel, and reading closely, it's a 23" scale, but later down the page Shane starts talking about the nut at 26". I thought scale length is bridge to nut.

So what is it? 23" or 26"? I built mine to 23".

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the 26" he is referring to is the 2x4 butt end. Measure from there will get you the 23" scale. You have to go to page 114 to understand this 1 1/2" to string feeds, 3" to bridge location and 26" to the location of the nut. Latter on page 118 He refers to the 23" scale to find the fret layout using the 26" starting point.

Yes, 26” from the butt end, you’re fine?

@ Myron and Brian...

Ok, my butt is fine.

So, 26" from butt is nut location, then frets are from the nut, and not additive, all measured from the nut, right?

BTW, I'm using metric for fret location. Much easier than figuring inch decimal fractions....

Yes that's correct.

Just as I thought. When I read it this morning I had a panic moment...

OK, Change of subject. 

I need advice....., no, I need to be told how to build a baritone.My calculations, based on my first 2x4 build, stretched to a 39-40" body and a scale in the neighborhood of 30".

See, I'm just throwing numbers together without knowing what i'm doing. My plan is for the butt end to remain the same (probably), and the stretch go in the headstock end.

Also, if you want to hear the sound and key I'm shooting for, listen to the intro for Pink Floyds "Sorrow" Live (I know it's not a steel), and "One Of These Days".

Anyone?

Yes, you can keep the tail the same dimensions, you’ll just have to adjust for it at the head end? Quick question, have you done any research about baritones? Answer about sound & key? The sound is a big muff & some layered modulation effects, I’m sure you can easily find the specs over at gilmourish? the key is Em, but the only thing that’s gonna make you sound like him is lots of practice & skill, took me a minute to get there myself, luckily I had a good friend who shared his playing talents with me? 

-It's not so much that I want to be as good as Gilmour (well, as a 'wish' I do), but I just love that roaring growling guitar. I will check out that site.

Hey James. One thing to keep in mind is that there really aren't any rules for CBGs. Most lap steels are 23" scales with 6 strings, but so what? If you want you're to have a 24" scale or a 22" scale or 5 strings or 7 strings... go for it. There's no reason you can't do it.

I know you are still learning and ultimately you were asking about a measuring calculation, but just saying... there's nothing wrong with following the rules, but at the same time, many builders are constantly thinking outside the [cigar] box. You'll learn more from your mistakes than your successes so don't be afraid to try something new. :)

The only rules I'm for sure following are the string and scale/fretting rules. I'm trying to avoid making really nice firewood.

@ Poorness

Want an example of rule-breaking? These are ideas not yet executed, but are in my bag of tricks:
1. Fret markers of colored weed-wacker line, set like frets (in slots) but flush with the surface, or the solid copper ground wire out of Romex for fret markers.

2. A luggage handle.

3. A cup holder.

4. A magnetically  mounted ashtray.

As well as the building process being a big part of the payoff for me, some of it is also about the punchline...

Forgot one. Some sort of inlay of either a ship's (BB-61, Battleship Iowa) challenge coin, or some hard rust scale artifact.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->