I just finished sanding out my fretboard. It looks amazingly and makes want to make it more professional looking by adding a radius to it. Since I have already done my inlays and had to thin the entire fretboard due to a mistake. Is it to late to radius the board?

Views: 124

Replies to This Discussion

I think you could still put a radius on it but personally I wouldn't do it. That looks beautiful as is, and I'd hate to risk it. Is that bamboo? What are you using for fret markers? Seriously, that's nice work, I'd keep it as is!

yes its bamboo. the fret markers are scrap 1/4" copper pipe with iron wood centers. To make them do the following.

Use a hacksaw or jewelers saw to cut 1/4" sections from the pipe.

Remove any burs and then taper one end slightly so that it will go into the drilled holes without tearing the wood.

Prepare a section of the chosen material to fill the holes that is 1/4" x 1/4" and 6" long. Sand corners off of the material until it is round and just larger than the hole in the 1/4" pipe.

Taper a 1/8" section on the end dowel you just made with sand paper or a knife, so that it will fit in the pipe. 

With a small  flat faced hammer, hammer the dowel into a section of pipe, apply superglue  to the metal and hammer it into the fret board leaving the edge of the pipe slightly above the surface of the fretboard.

Using a pull saw or a hacksaw cut the dowel off level with the face of the metal. cut from all sides to avoid tear out. After cutting the dowel off, hammer the marker down so that it is almost flush with the surface of the fretboard. Repeat as necessary.

When you have installed as many markers as needed, sand the whole thing down, so that the markers are flush with the surface of the fretboard. Keep checking the thickness on the sides of you fret board making sure you don't make one side thinner than the other.

I agree with MadGomer.  It looks great the way it is and if the neck is the standard 1.5 inches wide, you won’t need it.  Flat is probably better for slide anyway.  And from your description, the fretboard is on the thin side, so you risk ruining it and having to build another one.  It’s a good idea, but learn incrementally and save it for your next build.  If you want to get more “professional”, consider adding a taper to a future neck, which may be more useful.

Let's step back, why do you want it to be "more professional"? At times like this I remind myself I didn't spend $650 on a Stewmac kit to build an "actual" guitar. It's a Cigar Box Guitar and not necessarily meant to look or be "professional". It's probably better when it's a unique artwork rather than something from a luthier's workshop. Personally, I don't want to be a guitar-maker, I want to craft artwork that I can get music out of. That might not be your goal. Maybe playability is more important to you, in which case, Chuck G. makes a great point, you have to think if the intended player is going to play with a slide.  

I'm going to leave it as it is, since I don't want to risk  destroying it. I hadn't considered that the fretboard on a guitar intended for slide needed to be flat.  I have tapered it slightly from the nut to the bridge.

Hi, good move Ramson, what was not mentioned is that you would also need to deepen the fret slots also.

And it is normal to radius your frets prior to installing and maybe if slots are not a tight fit using glue in the slots.

I just mention this for next time.

Taff

Here is the rest of the guitar. Its all made from the same piece of 3"x8" Juniper from Eastern Oregon and has a routed out body with flame sound holes. Fretboard is bamboo with copper and iron wood markers.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Jul 9. 2 Replies

Grounding

Started by Robert M J Loftus. Last reply by stephen davies Jun 30. 6 Replies

Pickup Placement on High G Ukulele

Started by Chris Sturhann. Last reply by Chris Sturhann Jun 19. 2 Replies

Shipping

Started by Virginia Bill. Last reply by Jim Brown Jun 12. 4 Replies

Neck Bowing?

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 11. 11 Replies

Springs in an acoustic cbg

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Jun 1. 8 Replies

Weird Little Install Issue

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 1. 5 Replies

CBGitty Amp kit

Started by Art Prior. Last reply by Paul Craig May 31. 4 Replies

Earthing Strings

Started by mitch jones. Last reply by mitch jones May 18. 7 Replies

Like a box of chocolates

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Michael shrader May 11. 3 Replies

Intonation problem

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner May 3. 14 Replies

Pure and simple CBG

Started by Bill McNamara. Last reply by Craig Cole Apr 30. 6 Replies

Scale length for 17" box

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson Apr 30. 29 Replies

Pickup to string distance

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Lou Ellis Apr 9. 8 Replies

What strings should be used for 4 string cbc tuned to GDGD?

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Paul Craig Apr 8. 3 Replies

Bonehead rookie mistake

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 7. 24 Replies

Neck, sound hole, strings and Bridge question.

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 4. 9 Replies

Power tools - what buy next?

Started by Charles Z. Last reply by John Sawyer Apr 4. 6 Replies

Fretboard radius, is it to late?

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Ramson Mar 26. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Indiana State Fair

Posted by Rick Tish on August 19, 2019 at 7:46pm 0 Comments

Buying in bulk

Posted by Rick Tish on August 17, 2019 at 6:31pm 0 Comments

Shellac

Posted by Rick Tish on August 15, 2019 at 7:08pm 0 Comments

first post

Posted by Rick Tish on August 14, 2019 at 8:23am 0 Comments

Latest Activity

Shane Speal shanespeal.com posted a video

How to Play "Bad to the Bone" for Guinness World Record

http://shanespeal.com http://stubbyslide.com - On Saturday, August 24, 2019, the Pennsylvania Cigar Box Guitar Festival will attempt to make the Guinness Boo...
16 minutes ago
Profile IconGrace Acebedo, Johan Andrews, ruth quick and 3 more joined Cigar Box Nation
32 minutes ago
Robbie posted a discussion

On the bench

My new build on the go. Not sure of the name yet but Jeepers Creapers and Scream'n Deamon are 2 of…See More
1 hour ago
Bob Johnston commented on Jim Morris's photo
Thumbnail

DSC00039

"Very nice Jim.  The tuners give it a special look.  "
1 hour ago
Robbie posted a photo

IMG_0457 Jeepers Creepers

Painted/antiqued cigar box, red oak neck, black cherry fret board. Tele style bridge, flat…
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Phil Stickings's photo
Thumbnail

71EA6A62-E7B5-4E80-AA32-BF3D5A12512F

"I seem to be following PS this morning and echoing his comments. Nice 3 string - maybe make the…"
1 hour ago
Bob Johnston commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

Bad News Good News Black Brickhouse Slider

"Great way of doing this.  I want to make a Sheriff themed build using a baton for my neck and…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

Bad News Good News Black Brickhouse Slider

"This one has a really nice look and feeling. Plus it looks like some middle string fingering would…"
1 hour ago
Clarky commented on Clarky's video
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on T-Gripped's photo
1 hour ago
Uncle John replied to Joe Caruso's discussion When will you stop building?
"I can not seem to totally quit."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Summertime on Cigar Box Baritone Ukulele

"Nice bounce in the play, good song and I always like Meester Jim vocals.  Excellent. "
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->