Hi all, I'm new to CBN and the CBG world, and I'm going to be building one very soon, just waiting on my last few parts. One thing I haven't totally thought about is a fretboard. Do I need one? Can I just fret my neck? Should I use one? What are the pros and cons of having one vs not having one? Thanks for any and all help, guys and gals of CBN!

(I should note that I'm using a poplar 1x2 for my neck)

Views: 1441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul, I don't know squat about sharpening saws, but I tried to sharpen the Zona. Used a flat single cut file, held on a slight angle to the saw, but my efforts did not help. So I just buy a new saw .."for fretting only"..and use the older one for other quick, less critical cutting. I believe saw sharpening needs to be properly done tooth-by-tooth, so I'm out.

You'd need a triangular file to sharpen those small teeth...probably a 4" xxslim. And good eyes (or a magnifying lens) and good light for teeth that size.

Though, personally, I wouldn't have thought that 15 fretboards would have dulled the saw to the point of it being useless.

Hey Lane. Not useless, but enough edge lost to make it tough to run across the red oak boards I use for fretboards. Tough push and pull, sloppy fret board cuts. I need all the help I can muster, so a marginal edge to my saw is likely a &(*%% moment for me. As they say on the commercials, "you're results may vary". Saws still good for less precise cutting for a while, though.

That saw I use probably costs less than 5 bucks, so a new one will be bought instead of trying to sharpen it. I'm really surprised it lasted this long and it's really been needing to be replaced for awhile now.

Hi Roland, like Grandpa said there are lots of different methods for installing frets, and over the years I've tried them all. Even tried, yesterday, as mentioned recently here, tapping [as opposed to pounding Ha Ha] frets in then tapping them sideways, does not work for me. But I tried it and now I know.

Reasons for a fingerboard:  it hides the truss rod [saves routing in from the back of the neck] - it adds stiffness/mass to the neck [better resisting string tension and assisting with better sustain, I believe] - being hardwood it wears better - and grips frets better - allows for a more suitable break angle over the fingerboard nut.

These are my rules, oops!, guidelines for fingerboards. 

In the photo you can see how I keep the saw upright [when I use the handsaw], also the saw has a depth "stop" fitted to it, there are many ways to do this.

Keeping in mind the above I use timber cut on the 1/4, "quatersawn" , grain running from top to bottom of the board. I choose colour or grain pattern that will suit the guitar and inlay material. It has to be very flat prior to fretting, either already glued to the neck or fretted after gluing to the neck.

My end nippers have the front face ground flat so that the bevels on the cutting edge are removed, this allows for the cutters to cut right up against the fingerboard edge. This means less filing or sanding of the fret ends, so less chance of causing them to loosen in the slot.

I build full acoustic and electric guitars mainly and find it hard to separate the processes and thoughts used there from building CBG's, so often my comments may appear over the top and not needed or available by people with limited resources. But the day may come when you may find these ramblings noteworthy.

Cheers Taff

Hey Taff, is your depth stop for the saw on the hidden side of the pic, looks something similar to what I did, I took my saw, drilled to holes through it and through an upside down section of a hacksaw blade to give me a full length depth stop. I may make another with the holes on the sacrificial hacksaw depth stop slotted for adjustable depths

hi Richard, yes its a Perspex strip about 2mm thick with 2 slots for depth adjustment and the length of the blade. The two brass thumb screws are for adjustment. This is the Stumac fretting saw.  Before this, on a different saw, I used a strip of wood and two small "G" clamps.

Taff

Right your, Taffy. Tapping is indeed the process, not pounding. In retrospect, I wouldn't want any "theatrical license" on my part to mislead new builders. I forget that typing isn't the same as conversing. In my head I was gesturing while I typed! I had forgotten about grinding down the the front bevel on the end nippers. Might ought to do that myself...save a bunch of end dressing/metal removal time. Good tip.

As I differ from the majority of people, I tend to actually take advice of those more experienced than I am, so "These ramblings" are very noteworthy to me, and I thank you and all others for any input, tips, and advice y'all can give me 

Like others have said, having the fingerboard does add strength to resist bending from the strings. It also reduces the amount of material you may need to remove from the headstock to step-down for tuners. I modified a mitre box to allow cutting slots in different width fingerboards and added some dowels which flex and work with scraps of wood made into wedges to clamp down the fingerboard.

Derek, this pic was timely.  I'm getting ready to build a new miter box and this looks awesome.  I take it that you drilled holes for the dowels and then put the miter box together?  

Hi Bob, it was a miter box I had but wasn't using. I had a narrow one I had made for 4 strings but needed wider for 6 strings, so figured I would take the store-bought one and drill holes and insert the dowels to allow for adjusting to different neck widths. Then found the dowels had enough springiness to work with wedges as a kind of 3rd hand. The dowels are tapped into place with a mallet.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->